Sir Drake

Overnight turn-around on Criminal History Check via NJ online gateway

Picked up a HG permit app yesterday along with the usual and customary mental health and background check forms in the packet. There was also a sheet of simple instructions in there, offering the option to do the criminal history online at www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords

The officer that handles the firearms dept said the NJSP are doing something new where you can pay the $18.00 online (+ a $2.00 convenience fee) and complete the criminal history background check that way, instead of getting a money order for $18.00 and having the PD do it in-house.

Important to note you need your SBI number on the FID card, so it wouldn't work for initial applicants. And you also need an ORI number, which looks to be a municipality identifier.

Last night at 10:00pm or so I filled out the paper forms and entered the info online for the criminal history portion. It was pretty easy - name, address, etc, SBI number, ORI number provided on the paper instructions by the township. Pay $20.00 on my CC, get confirmation e-mail, done.

This morning I went in to drop off the forms, and the criminal history check came back already. It was in the computer at the PD when he came in this morning. I think I am the first one to do it that way here, he was awfully surprised that it came back so fast. He said it saves about 30 days of waiting just for that! All they need to do now is the mental health check and wait for the reference letters to come in. Overall, it should save LOTS of time, and much less data entry on the local PD's part.

Just thought I would share. It may be awhile before it comes to every town, that ORI number is the key and is required to do the criminal history form online. Sounds like they had to do something to their computer system locally to tie it all in. They just started rolling it out this year here in town.

Maybe this is a good thing? Progress via technology, reduced wait times, less work for the local PD, not too shabby. Again, just thought I'd share.

Has anyone else come across this yet?

The computer system notifies the Sergeants(or higher officers) if there is a criminal record, or no criminal record.  Based on that, all they have to do is click approve, or reject.  They can actually do it from their cell phones. 

I'm still not sure how long it'll sit up in Trenton after that, while they do the rest of the checks and await the signature on the pistol permits.   

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if this is a triplicate post. I didn't see them either! ;)

However, one of those threads linked to a bitch fest about paying the fee, including the $2.00 fee...two bucks! I get it, people don't like paying extra fees, I sure don't. But, if it means a 1-2 day turn around on the mandatory criminal history check vs whenever the local PD submits it, then I think quite a few people, including myself, would pay it in a heart beat. I also renew my auto and boat registrations online too, so I'm in for a solid $10-$12 bucks a year!

The other thread was along the same vein as mine, so again my apologies.

I actually thought about it from a cost standpoint. Due to the laws, there simply is no getting around the $18.00. A money order is about $1.50 and waiting in line for a few minutes at the USPS. For the additional fitty cent, the CC option with no line is not such a bad option.

So wait a second, you mean they can now do what takes place in free states (even faster and for free) in a few hours.  Wow NJ finally moving into the 1980's!  :maninlove:

No, no, no.  The application still has to go to Trenton for other checks(I think they check for stuff like payment of child support etc), the typing up of the permits, and the signature.  This is where my applications always sat for at least a month or two. 

No, no, no.  The application still has to go to Trenton for other checks(I think they check for stuff like payment of child support etc), the typing up of the permits, and the signature.  This is where my applications always sat for at least a month or two. 

So the permits and FID card themselves, are not typed up "locally" (i.e. at each PD HQ)?  Trenton has to print them all and then distribute them?

No wonder it takes so long for some.... :facepalm:

This process is just to see if there is any criminal history on file. The local PD still needs to send out the reference letters, do the mental health check, process the application like plode said, etc.

I think the time savings by doing it yourself online comes from the fact that they don't need to do it in house (one less step). The cards and permits are still typed/printed by the issuing PD, at least that is my understanding.

The criminal history check is probably the easiest and fastest part in the whole process anyway. Either you pop up on the radar or you don't.

From what I gathered, the local PD needed to set up the systems first to receive the info. My guess is not all towns have done that yet, but sooner or later it will probably happen. I was given the option of letting them do it for an $18.00 money order or doing it online for $20. From what I read it looks like some towns can make it mandatory to do it one way or the other.

I think the time savings by doing it yourself online comes from the fact that they don't need to do it in house (one less step). The cards and permits are still typed/printed by the issuing PD, at least that is my understanding.

That's what I thought. It would seem ridiculous for all of that to be generated by the State. And, as has been stated, all the mental health and reference checks, etc. ...

last pistol purchase permits I had was before one gun a month became law, so how much does it cost at the local PD ?

$2.00 per permit, exactly the same, I believe.

No.......Trenton turns them around with reasonable (by NJ standards) speed. If that was the case, every town would take that long. Your delay is primarily at your PD.

That's what I thought. It would seem ridiculous for all of that to be generated by the State. And, as has been stated, all the mental health and reference checks, etc. ...

$2.00 per permit, exactly the same, I believe.

"The officer that handles the firearms dept said the NJSP are doing something new where you can pay the $18.00 online (+ a $2.00 convenience fee) and complete the criminal history background check that way, instead of getting a money order for $18.00 and having the PD do it in-house."

Maybe I'm confused here but this $18 fee, is that in addition to a PPP? I thought once you got your NJ FPID any back ground check at the PD was on them. I understand the NICS fee at point of purchase, does this $18 apply to new card holders?

"The officer that handles the firearms dept said the NJSP are doing something new where you can pay the $18.00 online (+ a $2.00 convenience fee) and complete the criminal history background check that way, instead of getting a money order for $18.00 and having the PD do it in-house."

Maybe I'm confused here but this $18 fee, is that in addition to a PPP? I thought once you got your NJ FPID any back ground check at the PD was on them. I understand the NICS fee at point of purchase, does this $18 apply to new card holders?

The $18 fee is required everytime you apply for more pistol permits.