302w

A public service announcement.

Merkur is a quality brand, but I am not familiar with them as I use Gillette Tech razors which haven't been made in 30 years. I imagine you can't go wrong with any of them. I prefer all metal three piece razors myself.

So you start a thread about how we should go buy a safety razor and that you guarantee that we will get a better shave but you can't explain why. Then you tell me that I should go look it up because your not an expert. Ok I'll run right out and buy one...

First off, let me apologize. I didn't realize that I posted this just to serve you explicitly, and that I failed to properly explain why a safety razor works better. Since going to www.google.com and typing "why is a safety razor better" is simply too much effort (41 keystrokes is an awful lot) I logged onto my computer in order to answer this question in more detail, since "it offers a superior shave" is too vague. 

Also, the extremely difficult google link is here, right for your convenience: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+a+safety+razor+better#seen courtesy of lmgtfy.com

Now: here is some information I plagiarized:

Cost

Closeness of Shave

Looks Classy

Better Lather

Longer Lasting

Morning Zen

etc. 

To put it shortly, cheap disposables last a few shaves and are done. They are set at an off-angle so they don't shave as closely in one pass as a DE safety razor or straight razor do, so they have to add more blades, which means more times that a blade is passing over the skin meaning rougher, dryer, more break-out-prone skin. 

If you go with an expensive disposable, you're spending GOBS on the blade refills. I pay between 5-10 CENTS per blade which will last me twice as long as a Mach-whatever-they're-up-to-now cartridge.

The ceremony of the mug, brush, lather, and razor get me in a good mood for the morning

It takes barely any longer to do it the proper way

And it looks snazzy on your bathroom counter.

Also, I get fewer ingrown hairs, can use the same blades with multiple style razors (adjustable, slant-bar, open comb, closed comb, etc) for different applications from trimming to shaving my head, to an everyday face-shave. 

It's just better. The only reason you saw the switch to disposable cartridges is that Gillette realized that they had to change the way they did business. Their old razors were too dependable, and the blades lasted too long, to remain profitable in a global market. So they created the cartridge to renew their old loss-leader system. Ever notice you can buy a new Mach4Turbo with 3 cartridges for less than half the price of a 5 cartridge refill pack?

Now, I understand that may not have been specific enough. So, I attached a few links written by "shaving experts", rather than some chum as myself. These are also taken from the ever challenging Google link.

http://www.groominglounge.com/shaving-double-edged-razors

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/shaving-debate-hasnt-resolved-whether-doubled-edged-safety-razor-is-best/2012/08/31/8bc2822e-f041-11e1-ba17-c7bb037a1d5b_story.html

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/shaving-faqs/182-why-is-one-blade-better-than-five.html

It also appears that I wasn't 100% accurate on the differences between open and closed comb types, and I didn't even mention the adjustable types, as I am accustomed to my three piece. If you would like me to answer that for you as well I can, I am quite proficient with the website "Let me google that for you", lmgtfy.com. 

Again, let me apologize for not answering this the first time, as I only tried to share a good idea with a group of people. I will say though, please do try to use "your" and "you're" correctly next time you whine about something, as it is a major pet peeve of mine. 

So you start a thread about how we should go buy a safety razor and that you guarantee that we will get a better shave but you can't explain why. Then you tell me that I should go look it up because your not an expert. Ok I'll run right out and buy one...

here we go again...

302-- I appreciate you bringing this up -- There's no need for you to explain scientifically why the safety razor is better than the overpriced 2,3 and 4 blade plastic junk

You have good success with the safety razor is all I need to know, It's not going to cost me much to try one out -- without this thread I would have never even looked at them

Thank You

302, Thanks. I spent a few hours trying to make heads or tails of many of the features. Unfortunately, a search for Merkur only brings up the stores that sell it. I was looking at the heavy duty long handle.

here we go again...

302-- I appreciate you bringing this up -- There's no need for you to explain scientifically why the safety razor is better than the overpriced 2,3 and 4 blade plastic junk

You have good success with the safety razor is all I need to know, It's not going to cost me much to try one out -- without this thread I would have never even looked at them

Thank You

Puke....

302, Thanks. I spent a few hours trying to make heads or tails of many of the features. Unfortunately, a search for Merkur only brings up the stores that sell it. I was looking at the heavy duty long handle.

Another option is to cruise antique stores or bug older folks that may have one. I'm one of those people that like old stuff, I don't know how you feel. Regardless, clean it via soak or sonic cleaner before you use it. You really can't go wrong with a Hefty Classic Merkur. If I were to buy a new production razor I would go with either the Classic or Hefty Classic in closed comb myself. My regular razor is the travel sized Tech and I don't have a problem with the short handle. 

You won't regret it. You're also welcome lol

In case this thread gets derailed... I'm just trying to share a good experience/product I use and I believe a lot of you would benefit from it. I'm not preaching or selling.

For someone like me who often doesn't have time to shave every morning, and consequently is often cutting 3-4 days growth, would an open comb be recommended?

An open comb wouldn't be a bad idea. A lot of people recommend starting with a closed comb first, although that's only an opinion. Whenever I shave my beard off I don't have an issue with my closed comb. I believe that you would be fine with either style regardless

I switched to a DE safety razor after Christmas. I went to Amazon (I had a couple gift cards I had to burn lol) and ended up going with the Edwin Jagger razor, and getting a boar hair brush and soap set. While there is a learning curve to using a safety razor, once you do it a couple of times, its not to bad. I hardly have time to shave in the mornings, so I do it on my days off and make it a 30-40 minute process. Before that I would use the Fusion proglide, and it was OK but there's something about a safety razor. 

what kinds of soaps/creams are you guys using? aftershaves/balms? i'm tired of razor burn and paying out the ass for blades. i've been thinking about switching for about a month to a safety razor but haven't pulled the trigger yet. probably will order some stuff this weekend.

OK, I'll admit you've gotten me thinking about it. How is that one they have been advertising on television all the time recently?

The one advertised by the pawn stars guy? Bad. Well, hit or miss I've heard. For $20-30 you can get a real one.

Pbkid, I rarely use anything, but if I do I use shaving cream. One day I'll use a brusg

does this seem like a decent deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Vintage-DE-Gillette-Razors-1921-29-1958-/251425821925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8a2594e5

it appears one is open and one is closed comb. my only issue right now is that i don't know what a fair price would be for any of this stuff.

Pbkid, I usually shave when I get out of the shower. If I am shaving randomly or I look homeless I will use shaving cream. That's just my preference. Use whatever shaving cream you already use, then pick up a brush if you ever feel like it.

That's an okay price. I wouldn't pay more than about $25 for a razor. I would be tempted to look for a cleaner razor myself. If I am going to buy a razor, I don't want it to look grungy. My travel Tech is the cleanest looking even though all of mine have been sonic cleaned and sanitized. Oddly enough, it's the only one I bought.

You seem to really want a open comb type. It's a matter of preferance, and while some like open combs better, nobody ever said a real closed comb would be bad.

FWIW, those Chinese razors someone mentioned can be bought at Sally Beauty Supply for about $10. I still think spending $15 more on a real razor is better but it is an option. Here is a thread describing them:

badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/162606-Chinese-DE-safety-razors

I switched to. Love it. I suggest this blade for ya'll.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/ref=oh_details_o05_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking at this one, might have to pull the trigger on it and then pick up a brush, soap, after shave and pre shave, I do not want razor burn anymore!

pbkid,

I use the house brand soaps from classicshaving.com. Love the bay rums and limes. Nothing smells as classy as a bay rum. Dominica makes a lime bay rum aftershave that is the best smelling stuff on the planet. The sandalwood soap/balm from The Art of Shaving is also nice, albeit a bit more expensive.

I have the classic hefty Merkur. I bought a Gillette repro for my brother. He was too lazy to learn the process, so he gave it back to me. It is a fine budget razor. 

I have been meaning to try an open comb razor, but I really have no complaints about the closeness of the closed comb shave.

I shave s lot and hate the multi blade razors. Looking to switch to a single blade. Recommendations appreciated as well

Classicshave.com   you dont have to go crazy with the razor, but DO buy good blades.

Classicshave.com   you dont have to go crazy with the razor, but DO buy good blades.

Is that the correct URL?  It looks like one that a fraudster buys to get mis-clicks from the real site.

I was looking at this one, might have to pull the trigger on it and then pick up a brush, soap, after shave and pre shave, I do not want razor burn anymore!

I no longer have pimples or any razor burn when I shave. Practice, practice though.  I'd suggest ya'll check this video out. Really good info here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuA8HGacJw

well i just won an ebay auction for 3 different Gillette razors. one open comb, one super speed flair, and one red tip. the pictures seemed to be in great shape just a little dirty and tarnished but plating seems solid on all 3 and no pitting. picked up a sample pack of blades to see which ones i like and which work best with each razor. now i just need to figure out which brush and soap i want.

Nice! Just make sure you clean/sanitize those suckers first. Also, you don't need a brush/soap right away if you don't want to.

I like the store brand Shoprite/Rite Aid blades. They're rebranded Personnas, which are the only ones made in USA

ill probably run them in the dishwasher once then hit them with some clr or something to that effect to remove deposits and tarnish. afterwards a little bit of flitz and some elbow grease and they should be looking pretty damn good. after the polish ill dip them in an alcohol solution and i should be ready to go.