302w

A public service announcement.

I use a Norelco for years and love it if you get the high end ones its fast and very close no mess and no cuts

i've gotten irritation with every electric i've ever used. i've reduced my irritation by going to a cold shave but its still there and hurts. hopefully going old school and learning the right technique will eliminate it. i guess ill find out in a week or two.

302 Do you have anywhere local you purchase any of your supplies or do you just get them online. I figure I am going to try this out.. I also know from cleaning out my grandfathers back in the fall he had a few straight razors and I would assume some safety razors. I will have to wait for spring when My parents return home from the winter in FL to Mass to find out what he had. 

302 Do you have anywhere local you purchase any of your supplies or do you just get them online. I figure I am going to try this out.. I also know from cleaning out my grandfathers back in the fall he had a few straight razors and I would assume some safety razors. I will have to wait for spring when My parents return home from the winter in FL to Mass to find out what he had.

Most Grocery stores carry blades. Most are rebranded but usually quality. I wouldn't mess with a no name blade unless it was made here, in which case I know that manufacturer anyway. Soap and brushes you really can't find locally but I'm not actively looking for those.

Some malls have shaving stores that carry this sort of stuff, but they're generally super overpriced.

most of my stuff finally arrived!!! follow the link to see pictures of my new to me razors. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/383970-they-finally-came!?p=5836065#post5836065

not pictured is some Mitchell's Wool Fat soap (which smells amazing), Shavemac #177 silvertip brush (feels soo good), Proraso pre shave and cream, Col. Conk's bowl and bay rum soap that came with it. im still waiting on some Captains Choice Cat O' Nine Tails after shave and a generic stand for razor and brush.

most of my stuff finally arrived!!! follow the link to see pictures of my new to me razors. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/383970-they-finally-came!?p=5836065#post5836065

not pictured is some Mitchell's Wool Fat soap (which smells amazing), Shavemac #177 silvertip brush (feels soo good), Proraso pre shave and cream, Col. Conk's bowl and bay rum soap that came with it. im still waiting on some Captains Choice Cat O' Nine Tails after shave and a generic stand for razor and brush.

If you can make out the patent number on the mystery razor you can try plugging it into Google's patent search to find out what it is https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts&hl=en

Interesting topic.

What is "DE"? - Never mind - first link I went to - "double edge"

Ever try using the safety razor in the shower "blind shaving" E.G. just dragging it across the face under running water and looking for stubble?

Years ago I used to shave before my shower with shaving cream and disposals. It seemed I was always getting irritation, especially the neck area and the resulting little pimples. That is why I started the shave at the end of my shower. I guess the hot water showers I take make the stubble a bit softer too.

Since I'm ready to by my next pack of Costco disposal, maybe I'll try some old fashioned stuff.

I don't shave blind because I have a beard and need to see what I'm doing. However, I'll say once you shave once or twice with a DE, it's really no different than a modern razor. I wouldn't hesitate to shave without a mirror if I wasn't worried about missing spots and such.

So I am the necro poster, rejuvenating a long defunct thread... :)

I have some experience now with safety razors and thought I would post. 

Reviews:

Muhle Open Comb R41 

This is like wielding a samurai word. The manufacturer should throw in a styptic pencil and roll of toilet paper. This is the most aggressive razor I have ever tried. All facial hair is scraped off in one pass. If you do not stretch your skin tautly, you will remove some flesh as well. You need to be meticulous. I used it once right after a short sleep and waking up at 4am for a road trip. Big mistake. For a week, I looked like I walked face first into a fan. On the positive side, this is by far the closest shave I have ever had or could conceive of having. And the razor does have a nice classic handle combined with a more modern looking head. I think using the R41 is the functional equivalent of a facial exfoliation, chemical peel, and a waxing. To be fair, it was a lot more forgiving when I used less sharp razors, like Derby. With Feather razors, this was a lethal instrument. It is the closest thing you will find to a straight razor shave. I sold it on eBay for $12 less than I bought it for.  I would recommend it only for experienced safety razor users. 

http://www.amazon.com/Muhle-Double-Safety-Chrome-Plated/dp/B0047A6WLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403789865&sr=8-1&keywords=muhle+r41

91IJwfE4DDL._SL1500_.jpg

Edwin Jagger DE87.

I bought this after selling off the Muhle. The EJ DE87 is the opposite end of the spectrum. It is completely non-aggressive and requires several passes to remove all facial hair if it is any more than a few days growth. It would make a fine daily shaver. It is not as useful if you are like me and shave twice a week (maybe 3 if my wife persuades me to on the weekend for an event). You do not get the ultra-close barbershop shave that the Muhle gives. It does fly across your face and does not irritate it. This razor is now in my travel bag. It is basically the safety razor equivalent of a Mach 3. It has very classic looks, which I appreciate.

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De87bl-Double-Safety/dp/B003LW0LWQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403789889&sr=8-5&keywords=edwin+jagger

51bYDCe1NSL._SL1500_.jpg

Merkur Futur

Shaving Perfection! I bought this razor after not being satisfied with the closeness of the shave from the Edwin Jagger DE87. It is adjustable, with 7 settings. Setting 1 (coarse) gives me about the same shave as the DE87. My standard setting now is 4. It gives me almost the closeness of the Muhle, without the angst and bloodshed, and takes me half as long. I plan on keep trying each higher setting until I find the perfect balance of closeness and aggressiveness. I have the satin finish model. I find it less slippery than the stainless model. The only thing I do not love is the futuristic looks. Oh well, the shave it gives more than makes up for its looks. I would recommend this razor to anyone interesting in trying out shaving with a safety razor. If you don't like it, you can get most of your money back selling on eBay. these are snatched up very quickly. 

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-Safety-Razor-Finish/dp/B000JPKLUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403789999&sr=8-1&keywords=merkur+futur

31zEo3ov9TL.jpg

I went with the Edwin jagger after Christmas and like it more than disposable razors. I had been using the Gillette fusion for a few years before switching to safety razors. I do wish that it would shave a bit closer, but it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not completely thrilled with my Razor either -- It is a bloody experience every time out, but I'm still using it

Gillette -- don't know the model, it's not on there -- brass short handle -- It's a heavy thing too

I was thinking of trying different blades 1st -- will different blades change things?  

I have a box of 500 or so personna 74 blades all individually wrapped -- looks like a sample box --  My grandfather was a manager at A&P 

Will different blades make a difference?  What blades do you like?  

I'm not completely thrilled with my Razor either -- It is a bloody experience every time out, but I'm still using it

Gillette -- don't know the model, it's not on there -- brass short handle -- It's a heavy thing too

I was thinking of trying different blades 1st -- will different blades change things?  

I have a box of 500 or so personna 74 blades all individually wrapped -- looks like a sample box --  My grandfather was a manager at A&P 

Will different blades make a difference?  What blades do you like?  

technique will change everything. DO NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE WHEN YOU GLIDE ACROSS YOUR FACE. that was the biggest issue for me when i started. when you think you aren't putting pressure you are. use one your thumb and index finger to hold the razor and you will get better results.

the next thing would be the blades. i like austra sp and gillette blues. personas aren't terrible tho. feathers are a bit too sharp for my taste and i end up looking like i got it a fight with a large raccoon when i'm done. stay away from derbys and sharks.

what kind of cream/soap are you using? if its the canned goo then go out and get yourself a decent brush and some real soap/cream. it will make a world of difference. i use mitchells wool fat and prorasos green.

Different blades make a HUGE difference.  It all depends on the person and their shaving style.  A brand loved by some is hated by others.  For me, Feather is a little too unforgiving, but I can appreciate how fine their edge is and how some would love them.  I've been getting surprisingly good results with the Gillette 7 o'clock razors.  They're sharp enough to give me a close shave, they last a while, and they don't cut me up.

My advice:  buy a sampler pack and try a bunch of different blades.  When you find one you love, buy the bulk pack. I can get a pack of 100 Gillette blades shipped for $17.50 on Amazon.

I still love Col. Conk soaps.  The lime is refreshing in the warmer months.

Different blades make a HUGE difference.  It all depends on the person and their shaving style.  A brand loved by some is hated by others.  For me, Feather is a little too unforgiving, but I can appreciate how fine their edge is and how some would love them.  I've been getting surprisingly good results with the Gillette 7 o'clock razors.  They're sharp enough to give me a close shave, they last a while, and they don't cut me up.

My advice:  buy a sampler pack and try a bunch of different blades.  When you find one you love, buy the bulk pack. I can get a pack of 100 Gillette blades shipped for $17.50 on Amazon.

I still love Col. Conk soaps.  The lime is refreshing in the warmer months.

thats why i like the prorasos green. its nice and cooling with the menthol in the summer time.

and to everyone, if you are not using after shave products, start. keeping your face hydrated after the shave will greatly reduce irritation. i use nivea balm. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL BASED PRODUCTS. they will dry out your skin worse.

I guess I should follow the directions before I go blaming my equipment --

I do not use a brush was hoping to get away without it

I shave both my face and head mostly while in the shower then touch up after -- I do this once a week  --  I hate shaving -- I will use the shears 1st because I'm at 1/4 inch to 3/8th inch growth

In the shower I just lather up with soap -- Irish spring

Out of the shower it's canned shave cream -- I don't even know the flavor

Maybe it's time for a brush and real shaving soap -- Any better place to get them than Amazon?

I found a product at Walmart called Shave Secret it works great to prevent cuts and razor burn to your face. I think it also produces a smooth shave. Its under $4 a bottle and totally worth the money!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10324376?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I would start at westcoastshaving.com to get an idea of reputable products. But I bought most of my stuff from amazon after I made sure it wasn't cheap chinese knockoffs.

If you want a cheap badger brush I highly recommend the simpson wee scot. It may be small but it is mighty. I bought it to use a travel brush but end up using it in my rotation because it it that good.