JayWilling

Need Advice on the Lightest possible AR build

I'm planning to build an AR for my wife, who is quite a lightweight. She would use the AR for target and plinking, and while reliability is always important, I don't think durable is as high on the list as LIGHT. One person suggested I use a "pencil" barrel, which I'm not familiar with but assume that it's a very lightweight, thin-walled barrel. As the barrel is a lot of the weight it makes sense, as long as it doesn't twist up like a pretzel after firing 20 rounds..

Do any of you AR builder types know of lowers, uppers, or parts that may be more lightweight that others?  I'm really looking to make it superlight.

has she shot an ar previously? the reason i ask is my girlfriend has shot an ar and just did not like the Blast felt next to it from the comp. So what i did was build one with a bull barrel so there is no comp on it for the blast. Realistically the comp does not do much as there is very little recoil on an ar in semi auto.

if you want light weight get a polymer lower thats complete. they are pretty light. and like others said no quad rail, do standard hand guards and add the small rail if you want to add a bipod or grip.

Definitely stick with a lightweight barrel, nothing bigger than the m4 gov. profile. Standard plastic hand guards or the Magpul MOE would serve well. Standard a2 or even the original a1 stock since I'm assuming she's smaller in stature. Unless you're willing to play with dark magic polymer receivers, everything else is pretty much set in weight. Billet receivers are the heaviest.

One thing to consider is this.  The lighter it is, the more felt recoil she will experience.  For an ultra-light, a pencil barrel is a must, go with a 16" target crowned or a 14.5 14.7 with a muzzle device..  It will heat up like crazy but it will be light.  Carbine or middy gas system with light free floated carbon fiber handguard.  Flattop upper, poly lower.  no buttstock or a simple ultra light stock.  lowpro gas block with picatinny top, magpul plastic BUIS.  It will be light but it will also be squirrely.

I've done this for my wife, who is 4'11".  My goal was light weight without sacrificing solid reliability. 

14.5" midlength light profile barrel, permafixed comp to to make it legal, standard upper, lower, bolt assembly, sights, MOE stock fixed to deal with NJ laws. I used a Troy handguard, I could have done lighter with carbon fiber but the lack of flexibility wasn't worth it. The while thing was just over 5lb. You can could make it easier with plastic lowers, carbon fiber handguards, slick uppers (no forward assist or dust cover) but you might save another 1/2lb and now you start to have some recoil so why bother?

light weight or the lightest weight?  you can outfit it with a lot of parts that v7 came out with like titanium this and aluminum dust covers saving fractions of an ounce here and there for parts that cost multiple x that of the originals.  

i'd personally go with something like what i linked below.  with a compensator of your choice for a lightweight build.  i've often wondered if you save a lot of weight by going to a low profile gas block and a tube style although i feel my keymod 14.5" low profile noveske upper is pretty lightweight.  i've seen the skinny mod listed as 4 lbs.  i can weigh mine when i get home.  

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2954

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3412

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3607

I got a build under 6lb.

16" mid length lightweight barrel with a 0.75 gas block seat. Mid length cf handguard, forged upper and lower. Magpul rear, yhm integrated flip up/gas block. Miad grip, ace skeleton stock. Handguard is an ap custom handguard. Rra semi auto bcg.

I know a lot of people on here don't seem to like them, but I have a Bushmast Carbon 15, and I have no complaints about it. And it weighs in at a little over 6 pounds, and is fairly cheap for a NJ compliant version... That is if you don't wanna build it yourself.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/80172/Bushmaster+90806+CAR15+10%2B1+223REM5.56NATO+16%22+ORC

She could always get an mp 15-22. Very light and much more useful in a state without many outdoor ranges.

This is a great solution.  The S&W MP-15/22 is very lightweight, shoots great, has controls exactly like a larger caliber AR, and is fun to shoot for hours.  You can shoot it indoors, outdoors, ranges, wherever.  Not much noise, very little muzzle blast.

I took one to use as my qualifying rifle for the NRA Certified Rifle Instructor course, and all the other guys were fawning over it.  So much fun.

Ok i have a dpms pencil barrell maybe 200 rds through it. Nj legal. 675$. I need to make room for my new socom ar. Also as i stated in another thread. You can get a 22 cal bolt for it and she can shoot 22s or 223/556 with a quick change of the bolt.

Lucky. They were all sold out by the time I got around to picking one up. :(

Yeah tell me about it, it took some time for me to finally get one. This is my second set of umbrella receivers. The first set I sold before I got to assemble so I could und a project I was working on. If you sign up on their site for notifications and have the cash on hand (they go quick) you should be able to get a set.

Their bolt carrier groups look nice. I ordered one before they left for SHoT so hopefully it comes in soon. I'm anxious to see it and compare to the spikes I have now.

I did my 300 blackout in all Seekins billet stuff, upper, lower, rail and it was super light.  I'd have to weigh but it was noticeably light.  Couple that with a 14.5-7 barrel with a comp and you should have something pretty light.  

Are we all talking guns sans optics?

I just weighed mine and it comes out around 9lbs with sling, optic, magnifier and empty mag.

I was trying to think of ways to lighten it and all I could come up with is ditch the magnifier, and change out the str stock.

Without optics it is very easy to get around 5lb 6oz, and that is including iron sights, and without using exotic materials.

For example, Spike's lightweight barrel with midlength gas system 14.5" (not quite pencil but using .650 gas block), with a Spikes dynacomp perma-attached, a midwest industries flip up front, mounted on a YHM  gas block, Troy free float 9" handguard, BCM upper and BCG, Spikes lower, Magpul rear sight, Magpul MOE stock, MOE-K grip, and all the usual insides, comes out to 5.5lb.

Add a sling and a T1 or T1 sized optic (vortex, PA, whatever) and you will barely break 6lb.

The big weight savings are in barrel, hand guard, and optic. Everything else pretty much is what it is, unless you want to ADD weight via heavy stocks or go to plastic lowers but I don't see the point of that. . You can shave more then 1lb from the barrel alone depending on your choices.

Without optics it is very easy to get around 5lb 6oz, and that is including iron sights, and without using exotic materials.

For example, Spike's lightweight barrel with midlength gas system 14.5" (not quite pencil but using .650 gas block), with a Spikes dynacomp perma-attached, a midwest industries flip up front, mounted on a YHM  gas block, Troy free float 9" handguard, BCM upper and BCG, Spikes lower, Magpul rear sight, Magpul MOE stock, MOE-K grip, and all the usual insides, comes out to 5.5lb.

Add a sling and a T1 or T1 sized optic (vortex, PA, whatever) and you will barely break 6lb.

The big weight savings are in barrel, hand guard, and optic. Everything else pretty much is what it is, unless you want to ADD weight via heavy stocks or go to plastic lowers but I don't see the point of that. . You can shave more then 1lb from the barrel alone depending on your choices.

it's amazing how much weight is in the barrel.  i know on AKs, rifle dynamics shortens the barrel, pins a comp, and changes the gas block to a bolton gas block and i've heard weight savings of close to 1lb.  especially up front where its more noticeable if you ask me.  thats why i hated shooting a buddies sig 556.  too much weight on the front end. 

so if it helps i just measured my rifle.  

the upper is a 14.5" noveske low profile CHF with battle comp 1.5 pinned and vltor MUR and 13.5" NSR.  i have troy/noveske flip up sights.  i have a noveske sling keymod adaptor and keymod IWC thorntail offset mount.  that comes out to 4 lbs 5.125oz.  

the lower is a noveske gen 2, standard colts parts kit, geissele ssa, vltor emod, H buffer and bcd mod 1 grip.  2 lbs 6.125oz.

total is 6 lbs 11.25oz

the micro t1 in a bobro mount and a inforce HSP light is 10.125oz.  so my total weight is albs 7 lbs 5.375oz

you can easily save 6-8 oz over here.  for example, use a MOE stock and you save 1.4oz.  the light mount is probably a few ounces.  use lighter sights and a lightweight barrel and you are probably under 7lbs