ogfarmer

S237 Title: Revises qualifications for handgun permit, establishes crimes for certain handgun use; establishes annual fee of $100.

GOOD

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bills/S0500/237_I1.HTM

This bill establishes a crime of the first degree for a person to plan or commit certain violent crimes while unlawfully in possession of a handgun.  The convicted person would serve a minimum term of 85% of the sentence imposed during which the person shall not be eligible for parole.  A crime of the first degree is punishable by 10 to 20 years imprisonment, a fine of up to $200,000, or both.  Under current law, the possession of a firearm with the intent to use it unlawfully is a second degree crime.  A second degree crime is punishable by a prison term of 5 to 10 years, a fine of up to $150,000, or both.

This bill also revises the law governing the issuing of permits to carry handguns in the State of New Jersey.

Under the provisions of this bill, an applicant for a permit to carry would no longer have to establish the court standard “justifiable need.”  An applicant only would instead need to show that they are “qualified” to carry.  An applicant is deemed qualified under the bill if:  (1) a criminal history record background check reveals no disqualifying information; (2) the applicant successfully completes a course of instruction in the safe use, maintenance, and storage of firearms which is approved by the Police Training Commission; (3) the applicant demonstrates proficiency in the use of, and qualifies with, a firearm of the type to be carried; and (4) the applicant successfully completes a course in the lawful use of force and the justifiable use of a firearm which is approved by the superintendent.  The bill specifies that the applicant is responsible for all the costs involved in meeting these requirements and qualifications.

A permit to carry is valid for one year and is renewable.  An applicant for a permit renewal must meet the same requirements and qualifications.

The annual fee for the permit is $100.  The permit fees are to be allocated as follows:  $25 to the law enforcement agency that processes the application; $25 to the county clerk of the county that issues the permit; and $50 to the State Treasurer for deposit in the General Fund.

Holy cr*p! Will wonders never cease, keep hope alive, keep hope alive, I have a dream, that one day, ....

Well, it's certainly nice to dream, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. I think our only hope is a favorable ruling by SCOTUS some day. I only hope I live long enough to see it happen.

Not to mention the cost every year to qualify will put the total cost way more than 100 bux. Might not be bad if it were 2 or 3 years but now you can see, "it's and always has been, all about the money"! Can't break us free of our guns, break us free of our money.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Not to mention the cost every year to qualify will put the total cost way more than 100 bux. Might not be bad if it were 2 or 3 years but now you can see, "it's and always has been, all about the money"! Can't break us free of our guns, break us free of our money.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I'd pay it.

$100 for the permit, renewable each year? Plus the courses. Sorry if I am not jumping for joy here fellows. Why should we have to pay anything that is a fundamental (Bill of Rights) right? It is nothing but another fee/tax on us. And renewable each year? It will be way more than $100. This is just a money grabbing bill. It never gets out of committee anyway.

$100 for the permit, renewable each year? Plus the courses. Sorry if I am not jumping for joy here fellows. Why should we have to pay anything that is a fundamental (Bill of Rights) right? It is nothing but another fee/tax on us. And renewable each year? It will be way more than $100. This is just a money grabbing bill. It never gets out of committee anyway.

Well, we can keep what we have which is where you pay $20 to get denied.

$100 for me is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I have more than that already sunk in for my other CCW permits (FL/UT/CT)