Sign in to follow this  
NicePants

Need help with Glenfield Model 60

So I picked up an older Model 60 from the 70s. I thought the barrel was canted since the front sight was horribly off, till I discovered that the barrel was fine, it was just the band that holds the magazine tube in place was loose. Does anybody here have any experience with these older Marlins? I'm not exactly sure if there's a screw or something I'm missing that will keep the damn thing in place. It's pretty wobbly. For reference, here's the schematic for the rifle. It's a little different from the newer 60s:

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/marlin-glenfield60.gif

Also, if I am missing a part, could I possibly use parts from a newer Model 60 for it? Thanks.

I'll check mine and let you know.  In the mean time check the bolt buffer. They were made from early type of plastic and break down allowing bolt to slam against back of receiver and cause all types of problems.  Also make sure you have a NJ tube, Only allows 15 rounds to be loaded in tube. Otherwise you have a NJ assault weapon there.

OK, checked my M60s and I have the newer version front sight where  the magazine tube is attached to the barrel about 3-4 inches back from the muzzle with a band and pin (#77) that attach to the underside of the barrel.  Of course, this means I have the newer front sight style (June,1975 on)as well. 

You can determine the year of your m60 by taking the first 2 number digits of the serial number and subtracting from 100.  This will give you the year of manufacture. www.fineoldguns.com  Scan down left column until you see Manufacture Dates, select Marlin.

If you have the older style, the front sight assembly(#29 and binding screw #30) attached to the barrel and held the magazine tube in place.

There is a user forum for Marlin owners at www.marlinowners.com that may be able to help as well.

www.gunpartscorp.com may have the parts you need.

OK, checked my M60s and I have the newer version front sight where  the magazine tube is attached to the barrel about 3-4 inches back from the muzzle with a band and pin (#77) that attach to the underside of the barrel.  Of course, this means I have the newer front sight style (June,1975 on)as well. 

You can determine the year of your m60 by taking the first 2 number digits of the serial number and subtracting from 100.  This will give you the year of manufacture. www.fineoldguns.com  Scan down left column until you see Manufacture Dates, select Marlin.

If you have the older style, the front sight assembly(#29 and binding screw #30) attached to the barrel and held the magazine tube in place.

There is a user forum for Marlin owners at www.marlinowners.com that may be able to help as well.

www.gunpartscorp.com may have the parts you need.

Thanks for the help. I actually found that the problem was the pin on the sight wasn't tight enough. Few turns with an allen wrench fixed it right up. I was missing a screw however, the front one that holds the trigger group in. I'll be picking one of those up. Thanks again!