MosinRob

Now a Distinguished Expert with a Muzzleloading Rifle

Well to day was the day. I finally finished NRA Marksmanship Qualifier program. I am now a Distinguished Expert with a Muzzleloading Rifle. I'm one of only 18 in the country. I ended with a 309 out of the 400. I needed 265. Couple months ago I set a club record with a 344 out of 400. I'm pretty happy about it. I had some help along the way. A couple guys in the club including a member on here smokin .50 helped me get started. A lot of guys find what I do is odd and strange with cutting my own patches and swabbing every shot, but proof is in the pudding I think.

132CB023-C1CD-436C-9610-B072F8502288_zps

F6700FF9-1BEB-456A-9F8E-DE3E0633A2CB_zps

Bone stock .54 Thomson Center Renegade. I just know what she likes and how she likes to be kept. 67gr of weighed goex FF powder, 223-224.7 gr round ball, and a .20 pillow tickling patch that I buy in bulk at Joanne's fabrics and lube with my special blend of oils and water. Yes water, there's a method to the madness. 

Bone stock .54 Thomson Center Renegade. I just know what she likes and how she likes to be kept. 67gr of weighed goex FF powder, 223-224.7 gr round ball, and a .20 pillow tickling patch that I buy in bulk at Joanne's fabrics and lube with my special blend of oils and water. Yes water, there's a method to the madness. 

Interesting!

I've had similar results with light loads (50-60 gr pyrodex) and maxi-balls in my lefty .54 T/C New Englander.  I had it out at the range this past August (after sitting for several years) and initially thought something was wrong - I couldn't see any holes in the target.  After five rounds, I intentionally shot one high...and a hole appeared.  I walked down and found couldn't see the rest of 'em because they were all in the black!  :)

I'd love to hear more about your methods to themadness.....

Congrats Rob and well deserved too!  It's always nice to see the DX Club grow!  Understanding what the rifle likes is more than half the battle.  Congrats again and now on to the Pistol DX!

Rosey

Interesting!

I've had similar results with light loads (50-60 gr pyrodex) and maxi-balls in my lefty .54 T/C New Englander. I had it out at the range this past August (after sitting for several years) and initially thought something was wrong - I couldn't see any holes in the target. After five rounds, I intentionally shot one high...and a hole appeared. I walked down and found couldn't see the rest of 'em because they were all in the black! :)

I'd love to hear more about your methods to themadness.....

Well the water I use as a flux if you will. I mix my oils in a measured amount of water. Then lube the patch. I leave the patch out to dry. The water evaporates leaving the perfect amount of lube throughout the patch evenly. The oils ride the water so it's not soaking in oil. If you felt my patch it feels dry, but squeeze it hard and you see the oils come out on your finger. There's a little taste of it for you.