Sign in to follow this  
Jayhawk

Buying a gun out of state

I'm going to be in Arizona in April and hope to buy some guns and some ammo/accessories while out there.

Is there a specific procedure to have them brought back here legally? Also, are there particular specifications the gun(s) have to have to meet NJ legal requirements?

Def looking to get an AR while out there, many a semi-hand gun too.

Thanks.

I tried to buy a gun in Virginia beach Virginia last year on vacation two gun shops told me no and that I needed a va drivers license to purchase in Virginia. I asked to have it shipped they said no! Check the laws before you try to waste your time

You can buy a long gun out of state using the same procedure you use in NJ - if the dealer has the proper forms and wants to deal with the hassle.

Handguns must be shipped to a NJ dealer and you transfer it when you're back in NJ.

As to what's legal to purchase - the law is complicated and long.  Too much to cover in a post here.  Different rules for rifles, shotguns, and handguns and mag capacity limits too.  Probably stuff I can't think of.   Out of state dealer is supposed to only sell what's legal in NJ.

I tried to purchase a shotgun in TN and was told that the dealer wasn't familiar with NJ rules and didn't have the forms so I couldn't buy.   I have purchased in PA and DE before with no problems.

Make sure to bring your NJ FID and matching address government issued identification. Federal and state laws for both states must be followed. Most likely a complete AR available in AZ will not be in compliance with NJ law so the dealer, in essence would not be able to sell it to you. AZ has some places that make great lowers and you would be able to purchase them if a dealer agrees to sell you one (the FFL has the right to sell or not sell to an out of state customer and many do not want to deal with NJ customers).

Any AR you purchase in AZ must be AWB compliant.

Any handgun you purchase in AZ must be shipped from the AZ FFL to your NJ FFL where you will pick it up with your NJ P2P and transfer fees.

You'd be better off buying a NJ compliant AR from a NJ dealer, preferably a NJGF Vendor, because 99% of are non-compliant out here. If you buy from an out of state dealer directly, you pay sales tax (8.8% where I am), shipping, and the mods. The cost is going to be higher.

Handguns will definitely have to be shipped back to NJ.

There is a BIG gun show on April 26th and 27th in Phoenix. It is the biggest you'll ever see if you are around at that time.

What area will you be visiting?