maintenanceguy

Considering Ruger 22/45

Any experience with this gun good or bad?  I'm looking for an easy to hold, easy to shoot handgun for my 14 year old daughter.  She's scared of my larger guns but really likes shooting my 22 rifles. 

I've had good luck with Rugers in general but the $260 +/- cost has me thinking this might not be the quality I'm looking for.  I don't need competition accuracy but I do want it to be accurate enough to be fun and reliable.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Target/models.html

10107.jpg

I've got a 22/45 Target with replaceable grips. Pretty much the same as what you've pictured. I really like it. It is very accurate, doesn't seem picky on ammo. The mag isn't perfect but oh well. There are tons of upgrades available if she or you ever wanted to make it even more accurate or competitive. For the price I think it's a steal. Relatively heavy "bull" barrel helps keep the recoil light. Weighs a bit more than some poly framed .22's I've held. I never go to the range without it. I may shoot 50 or so rounds with my "bigger" guns but I'll always end up putting 100+ cheap rounds through the 22/45 working on technique and drills. It's amazing what flaws you start to see with a less powerful piece.

I have a 22/45 LITE and just like above it has been very good so far.  Eats any ammo I put in it, and is very accurate.  For your daughter this would be a great piece.

My only gripe (same as every other 22/45 owner) is that taking it down and putting it back together is a major PITA.  I literally need a rubber mallet to take the slide off the frame and then again to put it back on.  I have heard that they loosen up over time but damn these guns are made tight.  

I have one and love it. Thousands of rounds through it With no failures. Feels good in the hand and super accurate. I would recommend everyone have one. When going to buy one though make sure you get a replaceable grip model. I found the original wood grips on mine to be a little square and prefer a more rounded feel like my 1911. I made a small modification to a set of 1911 grips that I had to make them clear the slide release and it's a great improvement

I had one...... , in fact I have had a couple of Ruger .22 Mark series guns.....   Great guns, but I hate cleaning them so much I sell them.

I now use a Beretta Neos,  light, easy to clean, kids and new shooters like it because its doesnt look "evil" .......   and zero issues with it.......   

I have the 22/45 Target; highly recommended.

With center fire semi-autos, I have found some new shooters are intimidated by the mass of the slide reciprocating; it makes them think the gun recoils a lot harder than it actually does. The Ruger charging handle moves, but its also light - so I think it's a good intro to the semi-auto action. That and my S&W 617 are two of my favorites, and the #1 and #2 choice for new shooters. Easiest drill in the world - shoot ten rounds with a 22/45, shoot ten rounds with a center fire pistol, then go back to the 22/45. You get this amazing "Ah-ha" moment when shooters return to the 22, because they see the flinch and muzzle dip - it's been a great training tool, for others, but especially for myself.

No worries about quality; low cost because it's a simple firearm and they've been in production for decades, not because they cut corners. It is as Ruger advertises: "Rugged, Reliable."

Ruger's new lite model (#3906) is well worth a look. Four inch threaded barrel, under 23 ounces, and replaceable rubber grips.  List $499. Due out in February.

And you can still add all the neat trigger options to it.  

22/45 is good, but check out buckmark, which there is a super simple trigger improvement that can be done which puts it at the top of the semi 22 pistol choice list in my opinion.

Google "Heggis Flip". It makes a great trigger.

Love my 22/45 and definitely recommend one. I'd suggest getting the model with removable grips though. A few more bucks, but you can then swap in many of the 1911 grips or finger groves (have the Pearce set and really like them) easily to customize look and feel.

Yes the assembly process is archaic, but you get used to it. The thing eats everything and you only 'need' to clean it every 1000 rounds or so.