Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

Chiappa M4 .22LR legal flash hider and bayonet lug?

I just order a Chiappa M4 .22LR upper to keep my Spikes ST-22 company.

According to this review

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/articles/rifles/2013/Chiappa-Firearms-MFour-22-rimfire-semiautomatic-carbine/

The bayonet lug and Flash hider are non functional to meet state AWB compliance.

Can anyone confirm this?

The barrel is not threaded the Flashhider has a set scree and the vertical comp cut are not cut thru. It does appear the tip is wider then then bullet diameter.

As for the Bayonet lug I am assuming it is not the correct size to function?

I only paid $239 from Centerfiresystems.com so I really don't want to have to pay to have the barrel threaded and pin a break on.

I can cut the lug off myself if necessary.

P.S. I think that is a great price... It usually sells for $350ish... I know it is not the best quality with a plastic upper but for $75 I could swap in an aluminum one... Personally I am matching it up with a $59 Omni lower... Chiappa and Omni are both ATI so it makes for a nice matched lightweight polymer setup for the kids. As long as it is 95% reliable ( less then 5 jams in 100) I will be happy with it for use at the range...

According to the link you posted, the description mentions the following points:

1) Flash Hider is "simulated" <- So I guess it really isn't a FH?

But it says it can easily be replaced with a real one by removing the set screw.

i will assume the barrel is threaded if you can replace with a real FH (which would be threaded)

so you are going to have to have the barrel pined or welded!

2) Bayonet lug is non-functional <- But it may get you attention you really don't want from a 

Range officer, or LEO.

3) the mags need to be 15rd or less

4) stock appears to pinned so your o.k. there

Don't know if the fake flash hider is kosher or not ( won't pass the pinky test but isn't slotted ) the review states that it can easily be replaced with the real thing by removal of a locking screw , sounds like a threaded barrel , either way it would need tohave the screw, or pin on a replacement, welded over.

Then there's that 28 round mag...........

Crap, way to slow

When is a flash hider not a flash hider?

When is a bayonet lug not a bayonet lug?

How many angels fit on the head of a pin?

All questions that police, prosecutors and various courts can answer any way that they want to because they are ridiculous questions - only that the first two can get you into prison if you get it wrong, whereas the third really has no penalty for being incorrect. 

Why take a chance? 

Especially in a state that started calling pellet rifles "assault weapons" because they have "silencers" on them.

Otherwise, looks really nice!  I'd get rid of the evil features and enjoy it.

When is a flash hider not a flash hider?

when it does not reduce flash... generally speaking the only "flash hider" I would run in NJ is one that comes with an ATF opinion that it does not reduce flash.. even though NJ does not HAVE to honor that.. I would say that it would be substantial enough to keep you out of trouble.. 

When is a bayonet lug not a bayonet lug?

when it does not facilitate the attachment of a bayonet... 

How many angels fit on the head of a pin?

not too sure.. 

All questions that police, prosecutors and various courts can answer any way that they want to because they are ridiculous questions - only that the first two can get you into prison if you get it wrong, whereas the third really has no penalty for being incorrect. 

Why take a chance? 

Especially in a state that started calling pellet rifles "assault weapons" because they have "silencers" on them.

Otherwise, looks really nice!  I'd get rid of the evil features and enjoy it.

the NJ AWB is fairly straight forward.. I would not lose sleep over things that "might" be a problem.. ANY AK variant "might" be a problem.. yet there are countless units bought and sold in the state of NJ.. 

I think removing the faux bayonet lug to keep from unwanted attention is a good suggestion regardless of it is legal or not. The pic show it being much wider then a functioning bayonet lug. The Barrel is not threaded. And the expense of having to pay the get it threaded and then pin a break on Comes to more the 50% of the cost of the whole upper... I would really like to avoid that if possible.... Can anyone recommend a set screw muzzle break?

Also if the slots are not cut threw is it still a flash hider? The tip looks wide enough to stick yer pinky in...

I think removing the faux bayonet lug to keep from unwanted attention is a good suggestion regardless of it is legal or not. The pic show it being much wider then a functioning bayonet lug. The Barrel is not threaded. And the expense of having to pay the get it threaded and then pin a break on Comes to more the 50% of the cost of the whole upper... I would really like to avoid that if possible.... Can anyone recommend a set screw muzzle break?

Also if the slots are not cut threw is it still a flash hider? The tip looks wide enough to stick yer pinky in...

if the barrel is NOT threaded..

if the muzzle device is NOT a functioning flash hider..

there is nothing you need to do.. I would just see if they have any documentation stating it is not a flash hider...

at the end of the day you could just take it off... its a 22.. you dont need a brake OR a flash hider... as long as the barrel is not threaded just leave it bare.. VS spending the money for a non functioning brake..