oofogbp

Thoughts on 50BMG Rifles

So Iam looking to pick up a .50.  

I want to get one before they attempt another ban

Iam torn between the classic Barrett M82A1 and the newer Desert Tactical HTI ( http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/dta-hti-sniper-rifle-chassis.html ).

The Barrett has always been a dream gun but the HTI maybe more practical as far as

as interchangeably is concerned.

Barrett can be changed from .50 to .416

HTI can be changed from .50 to .416 to .408 cheytac and .375 cheytac

Not that any of those other calibers are any cheaper to run  hahaha.

any thoughts on either?

Ive been pondering the same thing more or less. The dollar amount isnt much of a difference. Ive also considered the m98b in .338 lapua, the nemo omen in .300winmag, or the big barret. Mo idea what id use it for but if the zombie apocalypse is more resident evil the walking dead at least id have a chance

They are like owning a Desert Eagle 50, its more or less a bragging thing so get whatever blows your skirt up. If you really want something that is useful, the 338lm makes a ton more sense.

Edited to add context matters. So if you want to get in to the big bore precision game, consider what it really takes in terms of practice, travel and consumables. It is not for the faint of wallet!!! But if you truly need to put lots of energy down range accurately, a precision .50 is certainly capable. But consider that a .338 covers a healthy portion of what a .50 does in a MUCH more handleable package.

I don't want that crap going off behind my jaw. I might get by with one less hand and eye, but I'm very partial to my head.

You can get a Safety Harbor mag fed for less than half that price. I don't know how they compare but it is an option.

Neither is as cool as the M82, of course.

So Iam looking to pick up a .50.  

I want to get one before they attempt another ban

Iam torn between the classic Barrett M82A1 and the newer Desert Tactical HTI ( http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/dta-hti-sniper-rifle-chassis.html ).

The Barrett has always been a dream gun but the HTI maybe more practical as far as

as interchangeably is concerned.

Barrett can be changed from .50 to .416

HTI can be changed from .50 to .416 to .408 cheytac and .375 cheytac

Not that any of those other calibers are any cheaper to run  hahaha.

any thoughts on either?

82a1 is nothing like a HTI, they are two completely different tools. If you want boomboomboomboom, gas gun. If you want scout, calculate, breathe, heart rate, boom, then a precision bolt gun.

Lapua is a great tool, but a bitch to find ammo and now, reloading components. Just ask the guys over at the Hide how the preferred magnum powder hunt is going for them. Good luck finding range brass in nj if you're ever in a "pinch".

Unless your willing to throw a lot of $$$ at a BMG (the bare barrett rifle is only half the real cost to be set up long term) a very effective tool is the .300 win mag. Before you get into long action magnums, make sure you're proficient in long distance tactical precision. If not, get a decent .308 on a Rem action and wisely invest money in training. After that, you will be 100% certain about your next rifle and you may not want it.......... Maybe you put your money towards a clip on Flir :)