this_is_nascar

Any Legal Issues with Benchmade 530 in NJ?

Would NJ consider this to be a stiletto, even though it's only edged on one side?  I know that 2C specially outlaws a "stiletto", so I'm wondering if this one would be too "similar in looks" to take a chance.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/530

Stilettos are long thin blades that come out the "top" of a knife. That looks like a regular folder. Nj doesn't ban any blades they ban there opening methods ie auto knives and butterflies. Ianal but I'm pretty sure an nj resident can have any knife they want for collecting and display purposes but not for carry

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I picked up this crkt m16with pretty similar specs for like $50 and it's a pretty tough, menacing even, lookin knife and I carry it every single day at work and when I go out and have zero problems. It's even called the m16 ya know like the evil baby killing assault rifle.

Posted Image

Just buy it they won't break your nuts trust me. They sell plenty of questionable knives at a local airsoft/tactical store and I was talking to the guy and he said they are all legal and you can even order auto knives from our website but they can't sell them In the store since once you leave with it in public you would be breaking the law but you can have it at home for "display" purposes

That knife is like most others in NJ. Not banned specifically by type but a lawful purpose is required to have it in your possession. Carry it , don't do anything stupid with it. If you get stopped and asked why you have it just say its for work. Never say its for self defense.

I picked up this crkt m16with pretty similar specs for like $50 and it's a pretty tough, menacing even, lookin knife and I carry it every single day at work and when I go out and have zero problems. It's even called the m16 ya know like the evil baby killing assault rifle.

I have one, they cost $34. Sorry :)

Ah! Mine is a slightly different model. I thought they were mostly the same. My bad, carry on :)

No worries I actually ordered it in tan with the Spear point blade and they sent me the wrong one but I liked it so I didn't want to go thru the return hassle

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd continue on this one.  I since was lucky enough to get a First Production run of the new BM-531, which is the 530 with two-toned G-10 scales and a drop-point blade, so I no longer have a desire for the 530.

It's the one in the middle.  The one above it is a Spyderco Sage-1 and below it is a Benchmade 940, which brings up my next question.  In the state of NJ the Benchmade Axis Lock would not be consider a "gravity knife", would it?

2014-02-07_18-34-52_425Small_zps2056a7ca

2014-02-07_18-35-10_407Small_zps81334bcb

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd continue on this one. I since was lucky enough to get a First Production run of the new BM-531, which is the 530 with two-toned G-10 scales and a drop-point blade, so I no longer have a desire for the 530.

It's the one in the middle. The one above it is a Spyderco Sage-1 and below it is a Benchmade 940, which brings up my next question. In the state of NJ the Benchmade Axis Lock would not be consider a "gravity knife", would it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

No it's not illegal. BLF said it best...

That knife is like most others in NJ. Not banned specifically by type but a lawful purpose is required to have it in your possession. Carry it , don't do anything stupid with it. If you get stopped and asked why you have it just say its for work. Never say its for self defense.

P.S. - Do not bring a Benchmade axis lock knife into NYC.

Actually I've been told (by a LEO) don't say it's for work unless you are on your way to or from work. Another good thing to say is it's a cutting tool you use when you go hiking and you may whittle or get stuck and need it to make wood shavings to get a fire going or something and you've just come from hiking or are planning on hiking (or have another reason ...used it to cut up some carpet at a friends you just visited, etc). Like Bbott said: NEVER say it's for self defense or anything like that. It'll be confiscated immediately. It's not a weapon - it's a cutting tool you use regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it's not illegal. BLF said it best...

P.S. - Do not bring a Benchmade axis lock knife into NYC.

Thanks.  I'd be interested in hearing more about what the problem would be in NYC, but for now, I'm asking about whether or not the 940 would be interpreted as a gravity knife, since a gravity knife is specially called-out as being a No-No, especially considering the workings of the Axis Lock.

- 2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices... 

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his 

possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, 

dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, 

slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with 

metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic 

knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty 

of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a

blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof

by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal

force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar

device which has blade which opens automatically by hand

pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in

the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any

weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can

propel a knife blade. 

From what I understand, the unofficial test for gravity knife is if you can open it with one hand. Kinda like the "pinky test" for muzzle brakes vs flash hiders. I think you can flick open some benchmade axis lock knives (e.g. Mini grip) with one hand rather easily. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I understand, the unofficial test for gravity knife is if you can open it with one hand. Kinda like the "pinky test" for muzzle brakes vs flash hiders. I think you can flick open some benchmade axis lock knives (e.g. Mini grip) with one hand rather easily. YMMVSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can open any knife with a thumbstud one handed, I had a well worn Buck 110 and a Gerber Gator that would both open with a snap of the wrist. Not very many knives that would pass that test.

You can open any knife with a thumbstud one handed, I had a well worn Buck 110 and a Gerber Gator that would both open with a snap of the wrist. Not very many knives that would pass that test.

Not debating you there.  Considering there's a gravity knife lawyer in NYC kinda says it all.

The 940 is not an assisted opening knife to the best of my knowledge.

The Benchmade 940 is neither an assisted open or gravity knife. I've been carrying one for over a year in NJ with no problems. However, like I said earlier do not carry the 940 in NYC...

The Benchmade 940 is neither an assisted open or gravity knife. I've been carrying one for over a year in NJ with no problems. However, like I said earlier do not carry the 940 in NYC...

What's the issue carrying it in New York City?

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk-2.

What's the issue carrying it in New York City?

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk-2.

Well first off all never carry with a pocket clip in NYC. NYPD look for that. If you must carry a knife in NYC it should be concealed. Also make sure there is no way to flick it open by shaking the knife, otherwise NYPD will either confiscate your knife or arrest you. I'm not sure of the blade length restrictions, you'll want to check that.