Sign in to follow this  
KyLu II

Are all handguns purchased in NJ registered?

I always kind of laugh when they say nj doesn't register handguns... Once while picking up permits as asked ..."so am I understanding correctly that nj doesn't register firearms?"... Officer said "that's correct".... I said "well given its says form of register here(pointed at top of permit) and njsp and you each get a copy I figured it was".... He said... "Oh don't mind that ..I don't know it says that nj doesn't register firearms".... Lol yeah ok

I ask this because i had a little incident coming into the country at Boston airport earlier this month, i had some Glock internal parts and the CBP officer was asking what were those parts and what for so i answered them honestly. he ended up calling NJSP and my local PD. in a few minutes he had the info he needed and asked me how many handguns i owned, i replied then he just said yep and walked away... so my fears were correct,all handguns purchased here ARE in fact registered...

They may not be an official registry at the state level but many municipalities have the capability of tracking your pistol permits and purchases at the local level.  A common feature in may police software package allows the capture of this information and can tie it to individuals as part of an "officer safety" function.  This way if an officer is sent to an address where someone has an FID, Permits or Pistols the system will alert those involved of the "risks".  

Probably when CMJeepster's local PD was contacted, this is where they got the information.

Another registration point is if you buy two or more handguns in a transactions assuming you have an MHE.  Then a Form 3310.4 gets sent in to BATFE and CLEO which gets put into a national registry.

Funny thing about the Multi-Purchase Form, a copy goes to ATF and the other copy goes to the local CLEO of where the purchase took place, and not the issuing authority. :crazy:

only handguns brought into the state via moving here are unregistered

Not to bust balls, BUT there are LOTS of WW2, Korea and Vietnam Vets that brought back war relics, unregistered.  These Warriors then passed (died), and the arms were given to offspring.  Technically they have to be willed, but nobody ever busted a widow for giving her son his's Dad's .45..........

Had this question for a while now, I'm aware that if you move from out of state you're not required to register your weapons but are handguns bought here registered?

yes definitely! they know every gun you purchase in nj. last time i applied for a pistol purchase permit i forgot to sign one of the forms. the lady at my local pd said how did you miss that? you have done this plenty of times... that indicated to me that every permit ive applied for is in their system

Contrary to popular belief, handguns are automatically reguistered via the HPP. The only way around this is if you have a dual residency (e.g. home in NJ and vacation home in the poconos or rent an apartment in Philadelphia) You could then buy a handgun in PA lawfully using you PA ID and bring it back to your Jersey home. Congrats, you now have a legal unregistered handgun in NJ.

You are aware that it would take a constitutional amendment at this point to do that in the post Heller world?

NJ does not recognize the right to keep and bear arms.  It is not in the state constitution and NJ has so far refused to accept that the 2nd amendment is "incorporated".  What you state is your interpretation.  At this point, NJ and its court system fully disagrees with you.

In NJ, handguns are illegal according to the law and certain limited and highly restrictive exemptions are carved out permitting you to own them.  Show me please how that's a "constitutional right".

That is inertia because it hasn't been moved up into the courts. McDonald is pretty damn clear when combined with Heller, you will note that even the NJ mafia legislature hasn't even attempted to pass more handgun laws directly, but skirting the around the edges with mag capacity and IDs.

Please show me where NJ has refused to accept the incorporation, formally. I don't mean them throwing crap at the wall and see what sticks, they'll do that anyway, I mean formally state that they won't follow along with the SC.

Trust me, I'm a very pessimistic person about this state and the country as a whole, I just don't see outright confiscation under the current climate.

Some have said that in the 1947 New Jersey had a Constitutional Convention which left out the Second amendment out of the state constitution and that is why things are the way they are today.

Source: http://conservativenewjersey.com/handguns-banned-in-new-jersey

"Delegates to the 1947 New Jersey Constitutional Convention believed that the right of the people to keep and bear arms was so obvious and universally accepted that they did not include it the wording in our state Constitution - a presumptive error of epic proportions."

Regarding Handgun registries, this has been going since 1924  when they started requiring permits to carry concealed.

Souce : http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=148&page=0306&zoom=90

Commentary on the law

"Concealed carry permit now needed. Establishes Record of Sale, Registry, signature of buyer and seller, duplicate needs to be delivered to chief of police, penalties include a high misdemeanor, 24 hour waiting period, no sales after 3 pm, presidents of banks and trust associations, loan institutions, can make application for (up to) 20 permits for the employees,agents, messengers and clerks. Does not apply to State Police or any motor vehicle inspector…Approved March 11 1924"

Contrary to popular belief, handguns are automatically reguistered via the HPP. The only way around this is if you have a dual residency (e.g. home in NJ and vacation home in the poconos or rent an apartment in Philadelphia) You could then buy a handgun in PA lawfully using you PA ID and bring it back to your Jersey home. Congrats, you now have a legal unregistered handgun in NJ.

Can you have both PA and NJ IDs? I'm guessing buying in PA with an ID that doesn't 100% check out will land you in hot water.