big five

Glock or M&P

I'm getting really to buy my first pistol. I have narrowed it down to 2. Glock 17 or mp9. I am leaning towards glock because they have all the aftermarket parts I want and they are proven but the mp9 is made In America and all the reviews are good . And I love the face that they have a 22 trainer pistol.

I know ultimately I need to shoot both of the guns side by side.. I need to find a range that has both.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Plenty of aftermarket for the M&P also....

Whatever feels better in your hand is the one......

this....   if you can, shoot both and then decide..   for me, it would M&P any day of the week (though it still wouldn't be my first choice).  Glocks just dont feel good in my hands, but everyone is different.  I own an M&P22 (the rimfire version of the MP9) and it feels great in the hand and even the wife likes it. 

I would hold both to see which one fits your hands better. Depending on your hands, Glock and M&P approach the grip size change differently. M&P not only provides interchangeable backstrap but also palm swells which I thought were ingenious.

I shot both and discovered that i'm not a huge fan of striker fired pistols. 

That being said I preferred the S&W over the Glock based solely on the way it felt in my hand.

You can't really go wrong with either.

If you decide to go with the Glock and this is your firsr Glock I suggest the 19. Reasons?

1. You need to pay extra for blocked 17 rd magazines or settle for 10 rd mags. You can get all the 15 rd mags you want for the 19.

2. The extra sight radius of the 17 really doesn't give you that much more accuracy. Shoot the 2 side by side and you'll see. The extra barrel length does not always translate to higher velocity. I found the velocity out of my 17 was lower than 7 out of 10 19s, 2 were equal and only one was lower. Same lot ammo ran through chrono. This was done when I had access to lots of guns.

3. Unless you have hands the size of a gorilla, the longer grip offers no advantage. If you do have hands that big the 17 grip offers little if any disadvantage.

4. If you're thinking of CC the 19 is no harder to hide than a 26 and easier than a 17.

5. The 19 is the best all around 9mm made AFAIC. Not too big. Not to small.

Just something to think about.

If you like the feeling of a 2x4 in your hands, go with Glock. But if you like ergonomics combined with a trigger that's gritty and has a really long reset, plus hate when additional magazines are easy to locate, then I recommend an M&P9  :p

If you like the feeling of a 2x4 in your hands, go with Glock. But if you like ergonomics combined with a trigger that's gritty and has a really long reset, plus hate when additional magazines are easy to locate, then I recommend an M&P9  :p

I shot both today. I loathed the trigger on the m&p. Love the ergo and the felt recoil tho. I am a glock guy however.

Or go with a M&P that has been APEX'd ........ :dance:

I have a M&P 9. I had S&W's pistol action package completed on it. I have fired both firearms (Glock vs. M&P), and prefer the M&P trigger. The ergonomics are also better in my opinion.

It's really personal preference. Shoot both guns and then make a decision.

I have a M&P 9. I had S&W's pistol action package completed on it. I have fired both firearms (Glock vs. M&P), and prefer the M&P trigger. The ergonomics are also better in my opinion.

It's really personal preference. Shoot both guns and then make a decision.

Hint: The right decision is NOT the glock.

If you decide to go with the Glock and this is your firsr Glock I suggest the 19. Reasons?

1. You need to pay extra for blocked 17 rd magazines or settle for 10 rd mags. You can get all the 15 rd mags you want for the 19.

+1

Also, forget the idea of "finding a gun that feels right in your hands"...

Find a gun that has the necessary features that will allow you to fight and win, train with it and master that firearm. I guarantee your hands will learn to fit the gun. And I bet that will be a lot more beneficial than finding a gun that fits your hands...

A gun is a tool... I don't buy a hammer based on which one fits my hands perfectly... I buy one on how well it drives the nail I want it to drive...

And on that note... My hammer is a glock... Which is hammerless... And can indeed be used as a hammer.