WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Which HK?

New to HK's and am looking to add one to the stable.

Use will be range toy, prefer to keep it 9 or 45, and generally prefer compacts.

I think the HK45C/HK45CT with LEM trigger is the way to go, but I'm wondering if there's any reason I should look at the USP, P2000, or P30 lines?  I tend to see more deals on these models new/used than the HK45.

Also, is there a Glock 19 of the HK world (i.e. the popular model that everyone starts out with or has in their collection)?

Thanks.

The P30 doesn't come in .45, so you have to decide which caliber you want next.

The HK45c with LEM is a great gun. I converted one from a V1 trigger and I like it. It's big brother the HK45 is equally good in a larger frame, with the Batman grip. You have to hold this one to appreciate it.

If 9/40 is OK, then the P30 with LEM is also a winner, also with the Batman grip. I've been contemplating one of these.

IMO.

What size hands do you have?  Where do you live?  You can try both of mine if you are local.  I have a USP 45T and a P30L 9mm.  USP has a much better trigger and reset, but the P30 has the better grip.  USP requires big hands, the P30 should fit anyone with the right side panel/backstrap configuration.

All of them.

If you go USP, the only trigger option IMO is the Match + LEM hybrid. As mentioned, the USP gets you the better trigger while the HK45/P30 gets you better ergos.

If I had to pick one "everyman's HK" it would be the USP compact in 9mm (or .40 if you're one of those people :sarcastichand: )

I have an HK Expert USP 9mm Match if you want to try it out. Its a double stack but the grip is not as big as its 45acp counterpart.

I think you and I have the same taste in pistols Bullzeye.  I have a HK USP Expert 9mm as well as a Pistol Dynamics 1911 ordered.

Anyway, I love the USP series particularly with the DA/SA Match Trigger.  My USP 45 Tactical is one of my best shooting guns and even fares well against my pure competition guns although not quite to that level.

Though the Glock 19 of the HK world might be the HK45C or the USP Compact 9mm.

Back in 2009 I went shopping for my first handgun... an HK45. I walked into the store and started fondling one for the last time and I was ready to say "i'll take it" when the P30 (9mm) that was sitting next to it caught my eye. Just on a lark I asked to check it out. Boy that was a mistake (for the HK45 sale.) The HK45 is a damn fine pistol but when I picked up the P30 it was like it they custom made it to fit my hand. I walked out with it instead. I'll be getting an HK45 this year finally, but the P30 won on that day I've never regretted it.

edit:

and I finally found the quote I was looking for from someone who's opinion I greatly respect...

I tell folks all the time that if I had to choose one gun to carry for the rest of my life it would be a P30.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7614-anatomy-of-a-lounge-around-gun&p=128011&viewfull=1#post128011

Thanks all.  So, to humbly summarize:

-  No a reason to pick P2000 series versus P30, HK45, or USP

-  Better ergos on P30 vs USP.  Better trigger/reset on USP.

-  Between USP, P30, HK45, no bad place to start

My hands run on the small side so I think the (batman) grip will be a consideration.  I know some HK's can run on the chunky side.

I shoot at the various North Jersey ranges so I'll will definitely take some people up on their offers.

I have two p30's in 9mm. Both have the v1 light lem.

The. P30 is the Glock 19 of the Hk world IMO. I have my eyes on a hk45 also. Will be staggering my purchases this year.

One of my p30's is going to gray guns to have some work done on it. I'll update more when it comes back.

I have owned a P30 for 5 years now(pictured left) and have wanted an HK45 but I can't be bothered to go through the pistol permit motions since I have to take a day off work to get down there.

That said, I don't think there are any bad choices when it comes to HK I just prefer the ergonomics of the HK45/P30 over the USPs even at the expense of the triggers.  I've been shooting crappy triggers all my life so I can adapt to that.   Grasping the P30 for the first time, I fell in love instantly.

As far as function goes, all the HKs are extremely reliable and as accurate as the shooter is.

If you have smaller hands... the HK45c should work well for you. I love my HK45c. IMHO it's one of the softer shooting compact 45s out there. Even my girlfriend has no issues with the size and she has smaller hands than I do.

Come to the dark side. :D

Thought it would jump in on this... Anyone know anything about the mark 23? I mean aside from being pretty damn ugly.

Call me crazy, but I think that's the only H&K model that I have no desire to own, other than as a coffee table piece.

Thought it would jump in on this... Anyone know anything about the mark 23? I mean aside from being pretty damn ugly.

In a word, massive. I still want one though. It offers virtually nothing over the USP45 full-size other than a "silent" decocker. One plus is that USP45 and MK23 mags are interchangeable(with MK23 basepads, USP45 basepads won't fit in a MK23). 

Size comparison:

hkmark23tactical41sj.jpg

I have a P30 Light Lem and an HK45CT Lem. One of the things I really like about the P30 is the ability to mix and match the rear and side grips. It allowed me to play with different configs to find the combo that gives me the best natural point of aim. I went with the HK45CT over the full size because they are basically the same capacity if I choose to make the HK45CT bigger, but I cant choose to make a full size smaller. Interestingly, I shoot both pistols, despite the caliber difference (9 vs 45) just about identically. In my opinion they are just about the best fighting pistol out there hitting just about every check box.

Shane

I have an USP in 40 and my wife just purchased a P30 in 9mm. Either gun is great to have in the collection. If I was pressed to pick one, I would go with the P30. The molded grip feels very good and is a dream to shoot.

picked up a P30 in SA/DA. Ergo was great,trigger not so much.

I changed the firing pin block spring and hammer spring to lighter ones.

Now the trigger is much better! It lightened trigger pull about 1 1/2 lbs each.

Still has long reset, but now I REALLY like this gun!

I've shot a P30, fantastic gun.

I'm looking to pick up an HK45 next time I get a permit however, I haven't had a chance to even hold or shoot it yet. I assume the feel is similar to the P30 but want something in a .45....

If anyone here has one and is willing to show it, please PM me. Ammo is on me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2

In a word, massive. I still want one though. It offers virtually nothing over the USP45 full-size other than a "silent" decocker. One plus is that USP45 and MK23 mags are interchangeable(with MK23 basepads, USP45 basepads won't fit in a MK23). 

Size comparison:

hkmark23tactical41sj.jpg

Doesn't the Mark 23 come standard w. a match trigger? 

I have a standard USP 45 v1.  It's built like a tank and has 1000s of rounds down the pipe sans failure.  But the trigger is an abomination for an $800 handgun.    I really should get around to installing the match trigger. 

I've shot a P30, fantastic gun.

I'm looking to pick up an HK45 next time I get a permit however, I haven't had a chance to even hold or shoot it yet. I assume the feel is similar to the P30 but want something in a .45....

If anyone here has one and is willing to show it, please PM me. Ammo is on me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2

The P30 is actually closer to the HK45c than it is to its full size sibling.

(Full disclosure: My only frame of reference is the fact that my HK45c rides in a P30 holster. Fits like a glove.  Well... that and I verified my "very scientific" size comparison by checking out the printed specs on the HK website. :-D) 

If we ever cross paths at the range, I will gladly let you shoot the 45c.