NJTRPII

Two New ranges in North Jersey, Whippany and Wharton !!

I was there yesterday, and they only knew what was posted here.  The place is small, but nicely decorated.... no customers while I was there, but very friendly. They had both GFH and RTSP tri-folds on their counters and had good words about both!!

I was there yesterday, and they only knew what was posted here.  The place is small, but nicely decorated.... no customers while I was there, but very friendly. They had both GFH and RTSP tri-folds on their counters and had good words about both!!

Were you there for the GFH Utah CCW class last night?  I was in that class!

Also in my Travels... @ RTSP yesterday ... The girl behind the counter said that RTSP may be opening an outdoor, Long distance rifle range in Franklin NJ.  It will be on 286 acres ..15 build-able!! 50+ bays and 100 to 300 yards !!       

WOW This is going to be a great Range year !!     Only 15 miles from Cherry Ridge !! 

Also in my Travels... @ RTSP yesterday ... The girl behind the counter said that RTSP may be opening an outdoor, Long distance rifle range in Franklin NJ.  It will be on 286 acres ..15 build-able!! 50+ bays and 100 to 300 yards !!       

WOW This is going to be a great Range year !!     Only 15 miles from Cherry Ridge !! 

There's more than one Franklin in NJ. Given the acreage I assume it's the one in Hunterdon County. Yes?

There's more than one Franklin in NJ. Given the acreage I assume it's the one in Hunterdon County. Yes?

I would assume the one in Sussex County - but I am like a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed a lot of bullshit :)

Any general estimate when the Whippany range would be opening? Summer, fall etc? About how long does it take to build an indoor range? I l know it depends on many factors but am just curious.

It's going to be a while. I drive by every day and the property still has the for sale sign on it. Also it's a very short distance from a day care center. It's not going to be pretty when the soccer moms find out that a range with all those black, evil guns may be going up next door.

Just give a coupon to every soccer mom... 50rnds in their choice of firearm to try for free. Drop your kid off, get a free intro to firearms class and some bang bang time.

Not really much different than the rule I have when I take newbies for the range for the first time... I'll supply the guns and ammo, but any subsequent trip you have to feed it to fire it.

Re-Reading though this whole thread... I just noticed that GFH has gone SILENT on this Topic!    Hmmmmmm......... 

Alot of talking was done in the first link of this thread. ("Handover Twp meeting minutes").

I feel something(s) are being planned.  

RTSP seems to have created a Market. ( Before RTSP... none of us had a place to shoot very regularly.)  I now belong to 4 ranges/clubs. 

Now GFH will build in that Market with a bunch of smaller "Easier to Manage"  ranges and conquer this new Market. 

I kinda feel sorry for RTSP. They've gone "Big Box" and may be stuck when the music stops.  

Remember, GFH used to use 6 to 7 different ranges all across NJ for they're vast training classes. So if GFH is building 30 new ranges next year.  

Woodland Park (Passaic County), Hanover Twp (Morris County), Sayreville Twp (Middlesex County)  This seems like a no brainer, Carbon Copy this success over and over!

I wouldn't be surprised, and I feel would be smart, for GFH to put ranges (the size of woodland parks 15 ports) in each of the 21 Counties of NJ and the remaining 9 others across the country. 

gunforhire.jpgGun For Hire Now Has 6 Locations

Including mobile training and soon Area 51, our new 100-yard outdoor range on the Essex/Morris border.

Click here to see maps of our different locations.  More >

This was from August of 2012 !!  GFH will rise again!! 

Having an IPO to raise capital to start a chain of ranges would make sense for them.

Best would be upon completion they buy back all shares at a higher price then the IPO.

Shareholders expect profit. Either in a dividend or an ever growing share price.

To make a profit for the shareholders they will have to keep their prices high because now shareholders will be getting a piece of the pie.

Problem being GFH is pricy, even if it seems worth it in NJ, the pricing model might not work in other areas.

I would expect they make their profit from the classes they have and not so much the range. The range is crowded on the weekend, but manageable on the weekdays, all ranges I have been to seem to follow this.

I would guess they would have to scale prices to stay competitive.

Compare GFH pricing to comparable classes and ranges in other states, you will see what I mean.

Municipalities will offer bonds to accomplish their building tasks, these are extremely low failure rate with a pretty much guaranteed return.

IPO's are speculation and high risk.

Research anything you invest in.

Nothing against GFH, but I would not expect an IPO to make it into my portfolio. I am past the high risk stage in my life.

There is so many debatable topics listed above its futile to hash them out on the internet. However, with regard to "GFH would have to scale prices to match competition..."

Has anybody been to Bullet Hole lately? I have not since WP opened. Is there still a long wait on weekends? ( If the answer is "yes, still at least an hour on Saturdays" Then ignore rest of this post.)

Only asking if indeed the public is still opting to go to a cheaper range.

Just because there are options does not mean a company lowers it's price to be competitive. Example: Starbucks coffee. To treat a range business as a commodity is erroneous.

Notice I'm not touching the above speculation on where the profits in Anthony's business are (range vs classes). I just think Daves ascertion above that "more options means lower prices" is incorrect. I'm just basing that on I never ever saw women at the Hole and at WP I see women there in GROUPS . It's like a totally different product. If the competition is a similar facility, then yeah all bets are off. But as of now he has re-written the book and I think everybody agrees

Disclaimer: I know absolutely zippo about starting a business or entrepreneurship. I'm a pencil pusher. Just seems to me like he's a winner though.

Not trying to put any places down, living in this area is expensive.

Prices charged in our area would not be competitive in other areas.

We are used to paying through the nose for everything, that is why these prices seem reasonable.

$30 a box or 50 9mm, $10 for 100 22lr, $45 for 1000 primers, $40 for 2 to share a port for an hour

People think I'm joking.

I regularly travel and converse with people across the US and I bring up the question as to what other pay and people are always aghast what everything cost in the Jersey / NY area.

This includes taxes, car insurance, ammo prices, range prices, tolls, parking....

Would NJ pricing be competitive in the same area as ranges offering services at 1/2 the price without a membership?

Many are even cheaper.

An example ( one of the first that showed on a google search )

Try your own searches for shooting range prices, NRA class, Utah, Florida....

http://www.floridagun.com/?page_id=22

For those not wanting to click through

ADMISSIONS

$12 an hour person (for pistols)

$20 an hour per person (for rifles)

Rental

$10 for pistols,

$15 pistol carbine rifle,

$20 high power rifle

No outside ammos allowed for rental guns

Here is a closer example for classes

http://www.safeinrochester.com/courses.php?id=95