siderman

FFLs- are compliant guns going into AW book?

This topic was briefly discussed in another thread then faded but I find it disturbing enough to try and bring it back. It has been claimed that NJ compliant guns that "look" evil, are black, or even have only 1 evil feature are to be logged into the AW book, -COMPLIANT OR NOT. Supposedly this was mandated about a yr or so ago by NJSP inspector(s). Was hoping to get some feedback from our dealers on this and certainly hoping this is a misunderstanding somewhere some how. The conversation starts in the below thread about post# 47 and goes from there. especially note posts 47,49,53. Maybe this was just a rogue inspector pushing his own agenda or was it actually coming from a higher authority? It seems very insidious to me IF its true.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/65440-buying-an-ar-risky/page-2

As stated. I will not log compliant guns into the AW book. That is idiotic. Besides, one must report all potential transfers from that book directly to the NJSP prior to transfer.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

it has been said by NJSP auditors that 'black rifles' must be logged into a separate book in addition to our regular book.

I'm not an FFL so I'm just asking.... Is the state willing to put that in writing? According to the states definitions a neutered civilian AR-15 is not an assault weapon and is legal for purchase. Why if by the states own definition it's NOT an assault rifle why does it have to be logged into your AW book? Have you ever asked to state inspector to see it in writing or are you just complying to keep them off your back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't get an answer in that thread so I'll ask in this one...... Any FFL care to share???

it has been said by NJSP auditors that 'black rifles' must be logged into a separate book in addition to our regular book.

So a S&W compliant Sport goes into a "special" book? What is this book labeled? Also is there a broader definition of what "black rifle" is, other than the color lol. 

This is where I get confused.  If we are not allowed to own "assault weapons", then why is there a special AW book?

Because it has been law since 1990. NJAWs can be sold to Military, LE Agencies, and individual LEOs with a letter from their PD.

I can't believe this thread is getting buried.  Aren't you guys concerned?

Willing to boycott FFL's keeping a second book?

Sounds like it's not a request based in law, just a request. Is this correct?

Show me the law.

frank

i see what your saying, i was really angry at first about this. but there seems to be one dealer that was officially told this by njsp on the forum. the others are saying they were not told if im understanding correctly. if it is only 1 ffl doing this and thinking this way i dont think it is a concern and more just misinterpretation.

frank

i see what your saying, i was really angry at first about this. but there seems to be one dealer that was officially told this by njsp on the forum. the others are saying they were not told if im understanding correctly. if it is only 1 ffl doing this and thinking this way i dont think it is a concern and more just misinterpretation.

Chris I guess we agree the "letter of the law" MUST be followed.

But pandering to requests unfounded in law is purely feckless .

I can't believe this thread is getting buried.  Aren't you guys concerned?

Willing to boycott FFL's keeping a second book?

Sounds like it's not a request based in law, just a request. Is this correct?

Show me the law.

Very concerned and very willing to boycott them.

Who are the dealers keeping a second book?

Very concerned and very willing to boycott them.

Who are the dealers keeping a second book?

Let's not get crazy.....

1 FFL was told to enter all "black" evil firearms into the AW book.....   sounds like a misinterpretation to me at some level.....  

I wouldn't be concerned until we see a pattern or even a second FFL that is told to do the same thing....

Not getting crazy at all.

What I was trying to convey and didn't come through is that, while I agree with old school's thoughts, boycotting the FFl's is nearly impossible since we don't know how many got the same request and how many complied.

And we never will know.

Not getting crazy at all.

What I was trying to convey and didn't come through is that, while I agree with old school's thoughts, boycotting the FFl's is nearly impossible since we don't know how many got the same request and how many complied.

And we never will know.

Well, it is extremely easy to go out of state and buy your black, scary rifles there. So there's your option.

This definitely does concern me. It also kinda concerned me that when speaking about this, it was just glazed over as common knowledge. Unfortunately I'll bet that the ffl's on here will be a little tight lipped about talking about it now that the boycott talk has started.

Now can anyone confirm that stripped lowers were going in the AW book?

I think it's unfair for those talking about boycotting to consider such an action against an FFL if they have been told by the NJSP that they need to keep a separate bound book for a certain class of firearm.  Keep in mind that NJSP has the power to shut FFLs down.  That's a person's livelihood at stake.  If the FFL has employees, those are paychecks at stake and additional homes depending on that FFL to put food on the table.  The FFL isn't the bad guy here if all they're doing is complying with NJSP's mandate of keeping a separate bound book.  Should it be obtained in writing?  Absolutely.  But to boycott an FFL who has received verbal direction from the governing body seems a bit unfair and extreme.  I understand that it's a slippery slope and an unnerving precedent if true however FFLs don't make the rules but we do have to follow them or risk our livelihood and possibly freedom.

I think it's unfair for those talking about boycotting to consider such an action against an FFL if they have been told by the NJSP that they need to keep a separate bound book for a certain class of firearm. Keep in mind that NJSP has the power to shut FFLs down. That's a person's livelihood at stake. If the FFL has employees, those are paychecks at stake and additional homes depending on that FFL to put food on the table. The FFL isn't the bad guy here if all they're doing is complying with NJSP's mandate of keeping a separate bound book. Should it be obtained in writing? Absolutely. But to boycott an FFL who has received verbal direction from the governing body seems a bit unfair and extreme. I understand that it's a slippery slope and an unnerving precedent if true however FFLs don't make the rules but we do have to follow them or risk our livelihood and possibly freedom.

I can agree with this to an extent, but there's the other side of the coin - which FFLs are pushing back against this?

I support FFLs that vocally push back against the establishment. Despite complying with unreasonable laws, at least they are not just staying silent. And so far they haven't been shut down either.