Sign in to follow this  
jds560

Open to suggestions, 2 permits to blow

I have 3 permits, one will be used on a Norinco 213 (9mm TT-33 copy with frame safety).

I'm debating how to use the other two. I'd like to buy either 9mm or 45ACP

THINGS I LIKE

• Manual safety
  • Single action only
  • Striker fire

THINGS I DON'T LIKE

• Decockers
  • Single/Double action
  • Safeties/Decockers on slide

THINGS I DON'T WANT FOR SURE

• M&P series (DON'T LIKE THEM!)
  • GLOCK 19 (I already have a G30 SAME SIZE!)

I've been doing a little research and have checked out a few guns, but I'm open to more suggestions.

I've all but eliminated SIG's from my want list. the P220 SAO model has very little in terms of aftermarket and I did not care for how the gun felt in my hand.

I really like the Jericho 941 with the frame mounted safety, but it's not exactly easy to find. There is the Canik Shark though..

I also really liked the HK USP variant 5, despite being DAO. I'm thinking of checking out the PX4 DAO models without safeties, the Glock 17, XD45 5", and the PT92 with the frame safety (DA/SA alas...) 

I ALREADY HAVE THE FOLLOWING
CZ-75BD Police (I regret not buying the SAO model to this day).

Browning Hi Power (love at first sight)

Norinco 1911 (see above)

Glock 30

Anything else I should give a look? I'm a big fan of the more obscure guns that still have common calibers. 

Canik Shark gets me all giggly.

CZ 97

What's wrong with a 1911? RIA are very reasonable and a good gun.

Or Springfield EMP in 9mm. Tiny 1911?

I already have a Norinco 1911. I don't want 2 of the same gun even if it's a different caliber. I guess a Commander 9mm would be the equivalent of buying a Glock 17 though since I already have a G30. I'll look into the FNS-9 and the FNX-45 but apparently the 45 is a single/double action with a decocking safety. I find the safeties like that stupid so I'll probably avoid that model.

I really like the PX4 Type C (constant action). Somewhere in between SAO and DAO. Super slick looking slide. No manual safety, which is fine by me. Don't see many of these around, mostly because I believe people don't know they exist. Night sights are available. Fits all the same holsters as the reg PX4 type F.

BTW, the Glock 19 and Glock 30 are much different in width. The 19 is much slimmer and has a much different grip/feel.

Walther PPQ? When I get my permits that will be my first purchase. Then I don't know lol.

They are bringing back the classics too, so you'll have option of paddle release mag or new school and normal thumb mag release. Gun is striker fire, polymer, and comes in 9mm or 40. They also have two different sizes.

Have you considered a revolver or two? 

I have one in .22lr and two in .357 magnum.

The .22 is a joy for target shooting, and in free states I'd imagine for killing large insects or hunting small game. Both of the larger calibers are suitable for concealed carry and will take down a bear. Although the GP100 is a bit of a stretch, people do carry them or at least keep them in their car/truck. Awesome gun.

They are my favorite firearms. No malfunctions of any kind ever. 100% reliable. Cleaning is simple, and is not necessary every time you shoot. 

One more suggestion if you are stuck on semi-autos, which is appears you are. The Makarov family of semi-autos are terrific handguns. Priced great. You can get a beater for $200-250, and one that's like new for $400-550. My E. German came with a great leather holster, an extra mag, and some cleaning stuff.

The ammo is cheap and plentiful, about 25 cents/shot, which is the best value I know of for a 9mm-style round.

I have a Czech and an E. German. Both are accurate as hell. I've not had even one failure after many hundreds of rounds. Both are also suitable for carrying, but not of course in NJ. 

One more suggestion if you are stuck on semi-autos, which is appears you are. The Makarov family of semi-autos are terrific handguns. Priced great. You can get a beater for $200-250, and one that's like new for $400-550. My E. German came with a great leather holster, an extra mag, and some cleaning stuff.

The ammo is cheap and plentiful, about 25 cents/shot, which is the best value I know of for a 9mm-style round.

I have a Czech and an E. German. Both are accurate as hell. I've not had even one failure after many hundreds of rounds. Both are also suitable for carrying, but not of course in NJ. 

I'm not biased to semi auto handguns, I just want to keep the caliber 9mm or 45, there are some revolvers in those calibers I'm sure, but I'm not aware of any by name. The Makarov is a nice gun, but it's got too many negatives for me. Odd caliber and a slide mounted safety are big drawbacks. I'd rather not buy too many calibers of handgun ammunition because I'm already in that boat with my rifles. I have a variety of odd calibers not listed in my signature..

I'm not biased to semi auto handguns, I just want to keep the caliber 9mm or 45, there are some revolvers in those calibers I'm sure, but I'm not aware of any by name. The Makarov is a nice gun, but it's got too many negatives for me. Odd caliber and a slide mounted safety are big drawbacks. I'd rather not buy too many calibers of handgun ammunition because I'm already in that boat with my rifles. I have a variety of odd calibers not listed in my signature..

I totally understand the caliber issue. I already have too many handgun calibers...

Not sure what you mean by the "drawbacks" of the Makarov caliber handguns, except that they're not as fashionable as the popular barnds, and shoot what is considered by caliber fags as an inadequate round. Funny, the commies thought they were great law enforcement and military guns and they shot a lot of people. Both my Maks have safeties in the usual place. The E. German gun, which is a true Makarov, even has a de-cocker. I got it brand new for $500, but truth be told my beater CZ82 shoots as well and is as reliable. As I said, not a single malfunction in many hundreds of rounds. 

Not sure about revolvers that shoot .45ACP, but there are plenty of revolvers that do 9mm. S&W just came out with this 8-shot beauty, but my guess is it's really expensive. Here's the Miculek version and another. Neither, I believe, is a carry gun.

Here's an expired ad for a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. I own an SP101 in .357. It's a bit rough in that caliber, but fine in .38sp, and I would guess even more manageable in 9mm. The SP101 is an AWESOME handgun. 

Can you tell I prefer wheel guns to semi-autos?

The drawback to the Makarov is that the safety is on the slide. I don't like that. The CZ-82 is interesting but again.. another caliber.

I like the PPQ, but I much prefer the P99QA. The XDS looks very small, I don't conceal carry so not very useful, but the XDM/XD does look nice. Being made in Europe is a huge plus for me.

EAA Witness Match. SAO crisp trigger that is built on same platform as CZ75. Can purchase many different caliber conversion kits if you so desire without burning additional permits. The Witness Stock or Stock II are nicer looking versions with more upgrades/enhancements but costs more.

http://eaacorp.com/hand-guns/

If you can live with SA/DA, take a look at the Ruger P95. Very comfortable gun with enough weight to feel like you're actually holding a gun but too heavy to carry (if you ever get the chance). Very good shooter too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk