Hooligan

How do you all store gasoline?

I want to keep a few 5 gallon cans on hand.  What is the best way to store containers of this crappy ethanol gasoline, and how long will they last?  

The best method I've heard so far is to use stabilizer formulated for the ethanol gas, and to keep cans filled to the top and sealed to minimize the amount of air (and moisture) inside the can.  I'm curious to see other's ideas and solutions for gasoline storage.

Normally I keep it in this 18.7 gallon rupture proof tank, I keep it hidden behind the rear axle of my car....

serious note, Gasoline is not a good thing to keep hanging around for long periods of time, goes stale even with stabilizer after a while and it is very volatile as opposed to diesel. 

I find Startron is best to stabilize. I rotate and stabilize the fuel as it is purchased.  I have a 14 gallon tank and a 5 gallon can. Of course the generator tank is always full also (7gallons).  Cans are stored in a mini shed away from the house. I only use high test (92 octane) in all the small engines, all starting problems have gone away. If time is up on the storage cans or genny (6 months, doesn't happen often), it goes into the car's tank, and start again.  Have two Eagle metal safety cans (1 and 5 gallons), the 14 gallon is poly with a gas station type hose.  Also have poly jerry cans that can be used in an emergency. 

I keep mine if 5gl cans with a double shot of Stabil. One year is no challenge, I've used it in both my car and my generator and lawnmower after that time with no difference in performance. Normally I rotate it every 6months.

Now the real problem if finding cans which aren't garbage and leak or can't use the damn contraption they call a spout and so on.

Briggs & Stratton has a great product.

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-85053-5-Gallon-Compliant/dp/B001QCWQUS

I have one that seems to be 100% clone of it, everything but the label so probably made in the same chinese factory, and it leaked "upwards" on me.. As in up the spout stored inside the can, and leaking through the cap.

If you mean the metal ones, I've been looking at that but those are some expensive cans.

Sceptre uses the same nozzle assembly. when reversed with the cap insert it seems to do a great job of not leaking fumes, but it's a total #%)*! to actually use and poor... and it's SO SLOW since the air vent is in the same tube. Also since they don't vent it's a really good idea to keep them full when storing them, otherwise the vapor pressure can get pretty high and buldge the container. I had one that was approaching spherical... quite frightening.

This one?

Yep.  I've got a few of those and some other no-name ones and I like the B&S ones the best.  Their spouts also seem to be the best when I pour gas into the vehicles or power equipment.  I grabbed mine from AutoZone the day before Sandy.  I had 33 gallons on hand plus 3 full vehicle tanks.  I never got below ~15 gallons of reserve during that time.  We only lost power for about 48 hours.  I keep my 7 gallon generator tank filled & treated and at least one 5 gallon can (treated with Sta-Bil) ready to go.  If I get a threatening forecast, I'll go fill everything to capacity and run the leftovers afterwards through the vehicles.

If your planning for the end of the world go to a small airport and get 100LL, it has a 7 year shelf life.

Much longer shelf life, yes.   Hard to find for under about $6/gallon.   And it is leaded fuel--you can't cycle it through your car without killing the catalytic converter and probably the oxygen sensor.    

I use 5 gal gas cans.  Re-fill every year and add stabil at 6 months...  I have 4 5 gallon cans, 2 2gal cans and a 1 gal can.  The 5 gallon and 2 gallon cans are filled with regular gas, then I use the 1 gal can for my 2 stroke mix.  All of the gas is used for the genny if needed and landscaping stuff.  I just dump what doesnt get used after a year in the cars and start over...

So I usually have about 20gal or so on hand if needed..

Most people don't know that you can buy race fuel its expensive but doesn't contain ethanol on average it will last years on its own. I have used it for gensets for years no issues. Don't believe me do a little research you will be surprised.

I picked up a couple of the EZ Pour replacement spouts for a couple repeated use cans and they flow so much faster, easier and hassle free. You do need to modify the can by drilling a small hole for an air vent, but after that its all gravy.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

I've put the EZpour spouts (I really have no idea of the brand I used) on all of my cans - gas, diesel, kerosene.   So much better than the new "better" spouts.

If you're keeping gasoline in your generator or other equipment, the most damage is done when gasoline evaporates from the carburetor leaving thick, gummy residue behind.  This eventually hardens into what I've heard referred to as "varnish".      I've never experienced gas that goes bad and I grew up on a farm where we had dozens of different kinds of gasoline equipment - some of which would sit for years unused.   I have experienced problems with gummy residue and varnish in carburetors.

When I'm storing something with a full tank I turn off the fuel petcock and run the generator until it stalls from lack of gas.  I then crank the engine a few times while spraying WD40 into the carburetor's air intake to lightly lube everything since there isn't any gasoline to prevent corrosion or rust.

5 gal Blitz jerry cans that get rotated through every engine I own. from cars to lawn tractors to snow blowers. I have never use any fuel stabilizer and have never had a problem but I guess that's because use the gas up pretty fast.

Ahh drilling a hole for an air vent is a good idea...  Is there any specific area to do it, or a valve that you should use as well?  Those new cans def do not pour well at all with no vent..

The EZ Pour kit comes with a vent to install. Basically, the OEM spouts have a vent built into the constricted stock spout whereas the EZ pour is a plain nozzle with no trickery hence the need for a seperate vent. Best to put it as high as possible and on a flat part of the can.

Unfortunately, as owners of a townhouse (multiple unit dwelling), we are not allowed to store gasoline in separate containers or similar flammable materials. We can't have propane tanks/bottles either. We can only use the "plumbed" main line natural gas we have for heating/cooking, etc. The State comes to inspect our units every 5 years for stuff like that. We have to have working CO and smoke detectors, etc.