Hooligan

How do you all store gasoline?

I've used Stabil and the B&S products for fuel treatment...seem to work fine. I try to rotate between 6 and 12 months. I've used untreated gas that was well over 6 months old and had no problems...not that I would recommend it.

EPA should be going after the makers of these so-called eco-friendly nozzles/spouts! I've spilled more fuel using these in the past two years then I have in the previous decade with the old style 'evil' nozzles/spouts. :(

I'm not convinced that gasoline gets old.   I've used gasoline that was at least a couple of years old with no problems,  In fact, I've run equipment that had gasoline sitting in it's tank for longer than that with no problems.

Gasoline carborators will gum up if they are left with gasoline in them.  The gas evaporates leaving gummy stuff.  I wonder if this is where the "old gas" story started.

I only have 1 real instance to go off of but here goes. I have a car I am restoring. It sat for 4 years, with less than 2 gallons in the tank, completely untreated and not set up for storage in any way. Put a battery in her and she started on the second crank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

A have several instances.

The ethanol in gas separates and absorbs water.

Some stuff will run, like crap, some stuff won't start at all.

I run all my stuff dry now for storage( carburetor gumming as said). (And bad gas/ water in the float bowl)

IMHO, Startron is way better than Stabil.

I dont think NJ has a law about that. The federal government does, but you can buy jerry cans for "water". 

I would agree. A homeowner in a "single family" property (on their own land)  I believe can own a Jerry can of gas for their lawn mower, etc.. We had one in our house when I was growing up.

That said, they would be definitely illegal in a "multiple-unit" dwelling (i.e. row townhouse, apatment, condominium, etc. etc.)....  I own such a townhouse, and we are definitely prohibited from owning any large can/tank, etc. of flammable substance (i.e.  bottled natural or propane gas), jerry can of liquid fuel, etc.  Maybe a plumber's torch is OK, or a small container of a "petrolium distilate," but nothing like a jerry can of gas. Thus, we would not be permitted to own a propane based grill, unless it was attached to the main natural gas line to the unit. :(

I don't keep a massive amount around but after the fiasco with Sandy I keep a couple of 5 gallon containers on hand and the generator is full. A shot of stabil in the generator then rotate a 5 gal every couple of months into the car/lawn mower/snow blower and refill. Just keep the cans marked so you remember which you last rotated out. I figure that'll give me a decent emergency supply for a few days, maybe a week with judicious use of the generator.

I generally start the generator and let it run for a bit every 3 months or so. Gas that's in there has been good for the last couple of test runs so if it starts to smoke or misfire or I just think it's been in there too long, I'll just drain it and replace with fresh.

-Jim

I generally start the generator and let it run for a bit every 3 months or so. Gas that's in there has been good for the last couple of test runs so if it starts to smoke or misfire or I just think it's been in there too long, I'll just drain it and replace with fresh.

A good practice for your genset is when you do the run, load it up to at least 50%, run for 20 minutes or so, then no load for 5 minutes before shutting down.

I use electric heaters for the load with my portables.

I installed 15KW standby last spring. That runs automatically once a week. That really doesn't do much other then tests the battery. Once every 2 months or so, I flip the main breaker in the house, give it a full test. An automatic standby is useless if the transfer switch has an issue.

I gave up storing gasoline for generators, too dangerous if where you store it gets hot. I converted my Honda Eu2000i's to a trifuel propane kit from central maine diesel. I'm more comfortable storing propane than gasoline. Wrote it up here:

http://www.billynewport.com/post/68776440737/propane-consumption-for-honda-eu2000i

I have 3 of these... Only problem I had with them-I needed to make a new rubber gasket for the spout. Other than that, easy to store and will most likely out live me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-style-20l-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab?a=984598&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0213243000000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CNXe7tfWy8ECFSEV7AodHhEAtw

I keep 12 filled 5 gallon cans with vent caps in an out building about 20 feet behind my house (building is vented), if it's not used within 12 months it goes into the trucks tank.

Get some fuel stabilizer as well, keeps it good for 12 months and haven't noticed any combustion issues after sitting for a year..

I have 3 of these... Only problem I had with them-I needed to make a new rubber gasket for the spout. Other than that, easy to store and will most likely out live me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-style-20l-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab?a=984598&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0213243000000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CNXe7tfWy8ECFSEV7AodHhEAtw

No gas station in south jersey will fill those, I had a few and unless they were red for gas and blue for kerosene WAWA, Shell, and Exxon stations would not fill them. I had to fill a standard red 5 gallon can and transfer it into a jerry for my truck..

No gas station in south jersey will fill those, I had a few and unless they were red for gas and blue for kerosene WAWA, Shell, and Exxon stations would not fill them. I had to fill a standard red 5 gallon can and transfer it into a jerry for my truck..

It's a simple fix.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/krylon-banner-red-indoor/outdoor-spray-paint-185744/

indians. sikhs. they'll fill em.

I keep mine if 5gl cans with a double shot of Stabil. One year is no challenge, I've used it in both my car and my generator and lawnmower after that time with no difference in performance. Normally I rotate it every 6months.

Now the real problem if finding cans which aren't garbage and leak or can't use the damn contraption they call a spout and so on.

right there....

Specter Plastic Jerry Cans made in Canada to US milspecs. are what I decided on. Not easy to find nor cheap but wear like iron.  I got them at a Steel Soldiers event. Now on fleabay their price has skyrocketed.   Keep and eye out you may see them someplace.  I know a few who bought them from someone in Canada and had them shipped to them, don't have any details.