Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Richard Kimble

Greetings from Englewood Cliffs and question regarding the FID process

Hi everybody! I kinda wish I thought of a better screenname before I registered, but oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick with this one.

Born and raised in North Jersey (201 represent!), went to and graduated from Indiana University last year. I had no real interest in firearms until I lived in the Midwest for a while, went shooting a few times in Indiana, loved it, decided to make it a regular hobby once I moved back. Too bad it's more difficult to get a firearm back home than it is in the Hoosier State.

As you may infer from the thread title, I currently live in Englewood Cliffs and I'm a bit confused as to WTF the local PD are doing here. First off, I Googled the steps to getting the FID, printed out the necessary forms, got my money order ready for the background check and whatnot. I called the station just to confirm what I needed to do, but that's where things got weird. After getting shuffled around different departments, a detective told me to just bring in the application and mental health form (don't bring a money order he said). So back in November, right after Thanksgiving, I did drop off the forms. 2 months later, here we are, with nary a response or contact from the PD. Whenever I try calling them, the detective responsible for FIDs is either "away" or "busy." I plan on moving out in February/March anyway (still in Bergen, unfortunately), so is it even worth pursuing the matter?

Welcome to the forum.

If you can't get a callback from the detective try contacting the chief, captain, or whoever is the highest ranking officer. Their email is usually on the PD website. If no response in a week, try the mayor. Always be polite and ask if they can look into your application to find out where it is.

What town are you moving to, and how soon?

It might be better to start over in the new town. If you do, write the detective and tell him that due to a mice you are canceling your application with the Cliffs.

It appears that this is your initial application for an FPID card. That being the case, you needed the two forms you handed in (STS-033 - the Application, and the SP-066 - Mental Health Check) as well as Fingerprinting - which is where your PD dropped the ball. You should have been directed to a Sagem Morpho (aka Morphotrack) facility to be fingerprinted (appx $50 - $55). When that is done and your PD is notified, they will submit your paperwork to the NJSP. Sounds like you have never been fingerprinted.

The non-criminal background check (SP-212A) is only used on subsequent applications for P2P's or address changes or duplicate cards, in leiu of fingerprints (this is at the CLEO's discretion - they can require you to get fingerprinted each time or at set intervals). That was done on a hardcopy form only available from your PD and was submitted with an $18 MO for the NJSP. That is in the process of changing. Your PD will give you a URL and their PD identifier number and you make application for the Non-criminal background check on line at the supplied URL. You use a credit card for payment - now $20 (that's $18 plus a $2 "convenience fee").

In your situation, you may just want to withdraw the application and start the process all over again at your new address. Even if you would be issued a FPID tomorrow, you would still have to go through the whole process all over again at your new address.

Bet you wish you'd stayed in Indiana now.

BTW - welcome to the forum

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Welcome!  Bergen county unfortunately isn't the most 2A friendly place to live.  I had to go thru a lot of hurdles to get my FPID/p2p's... even as far as going to the police station at 2am because that's when the detective handling my paperwork was working.

Good luck

In your situation, you may just want to withdraw the application and start the process all over again at your new address. Even if you would be issued a FPID tomorrow, you would still have to go through the whole process all over again at your new address.

^Agreed.  That would be your best course of action at this point.

Welcome!  Bergen county unfortunately isn't the most 2A friendly place to live.  I had to go thru a lot of hurdles to get my FPID/p2p's... even as far as going to the police station at 2am because that's when the detective handling my paperwork was working.

Good luck

I don't disagree with you, but you can say this about NJ in general. Comparing to others, my town's PD is OK.