ryan_j

State legislators and judges - can they get carry permits?

OK, I have known federal judges who had carry permits, and lived in New Jersey, and worked in New Jersey, and carried in New Jersey, and got their carry permits from the State of New Jersey, and had two legs, two arms, two lungs, breathed air, stood on the Earth and had no magical powers, and were humans not cats, not aliens. Not even the Grays, and not shape shifters.

Did I leave anything out this time? :)

No issues:)

This is why I don't think any judges are just pulling a favor to give carry permits to their friends and family.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2014/02/former_chief_jersey_city_judge.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Maybe a few people get permits but I don't have reason to believe it's widespread.

NJSP says they approve 500-800 permits per year. I can pretty much guarantee you that 99.99% of those are armed security guards or armored car drivers. 

This is why I don't think any judges are just pulling a favor to give carry permits to their friends and family.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2014/02/former_chief_jersey_city_judge.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Maybe a few people get permits but I don't have reason to believe it's widespread.

NJSP says they approve 500-800 permits per year. I can pretty much guarantee you that 99.99% of those are armed security guards or armored car drivers. 

I would guess that these are new permits, not renewals.  They don't make thousand of "new" judges every year

The 600-800 per year stat came from the AG's supplimental brief in the Federal Third Circuit Piszcatoski (sp?) case.   According to the plaintif's response the number did not include armed guards.

Permits are good for 2 years and NJ listed the number of permits issued each year for the last 12 years at 600-800 each year.  That means there are 1200-1600 permit holders at any time in NJ.

Ryan lives in a county where more than a few council,freeholders and state reps carry. Quite a few

Intercooler:  Do you have direct knowledge or speculating?   If you know something and are willing to share, I'd like to know where the info came from.   Feel free to message me privately.

The 600-800 per year stat came from the AG's supplimental brief in the Federal Third Circuit Piszcatoski (sp?) case.   According to the plaintif's response the number did not include armed guards.

I am looking at the brief now and the stat only excluded retired LEOs, not armed guards.