ryan_j

State legislators and judges - can they get carry permits?

I've been hearing anecdotal reports that members of the state legislature and also judges can get permits to carry a handgun. But at least one assemblyperson has said that they or a family member of theirs was denied. 

So is it true, or is it not?

I'm not counting people like Charles Mainor, because he's a detective and can carry as a LEO.

Yes, since they decide who can have permits.

Must have been a republican.

Yes she is a Republican.

I call BS on the part where they can get a permit because they can decide. A judge doesn't issue his/her own permit.

There's a guy on NJ2AS facebook who shoots with two judges, and he says they cannot get a permit. 

There's a guy on NJ2AS facebook who shoots with two judges, and he says they cannot get a permit. 

It's hearsay, the judges he shoots with can be telling bold face lies! No way to prove or disprove that they do or don't have carry permits.

Prosecutors can carry.  A friend of mine is a prosecutor and chooses not to because she would need to qualify (every 6 months?) and it isn't worth it to her.   She does however avoid shopping, eating, or going out in her home county because she's afraid of running into someone she put in prison.

Yes, the legislators likely can unless they have something on their record that would objectively prohibit them. They are public figures, are connected, and there is likely none of them that can't produce a semi-threatening letter from a crackpot. Add into that that they are required to appear in fairly accessible locations, and you can make an argument that will pass muster for claims of justifiable need if the people playing gate keeper are not blatantly hostile to them. 

We know it's not objective and it is politics, and even judges and legislators can be on the wrong side of the political influence. As for judges, they aren't nearly as accessible without security as say a councilman or some legislators. I also supsect that say a judge who tries gang crime cases or divorces might be at more risk than say a traffic court judge. 

Yes, the legislators likely can unless they have something on their record that would objectively prohibit them. They are public figures, are connected, and there is likely none of them that can't produce a semi-threatening letter from a crackpot. Add into that that they are required to appear in fairly accessible locations, and you can make an argument that will pass muster for claims of justifiable need if the people playing gate keeper are not blatantly hostile to them. 

We know it's not objective and it is politics, and even judges and legislators can be on the wrong side of the political influence. As for judges, they aren't nearly as accessible without security as say a councilman or some legislators. I also supsect that say a judge who tries gang crime cases or divorces might be at more risk than say a traffic court judge. 

Do you have any actual proof of this?

Other people have had verified threats, documented via police reports and were turned down. 

Until I hear of actual legislators and judges getting permits, I don't believe that they are routinely granted permits. 

Do you have any actual proof of this?

Other people have had verified threats, documented via police reports and were turned down.

Until I hear of actual legislators and judges getting permits, I don't believe that they are routinely granted permits.

I've run into more than one town council member with a permit. One of them claimed not to be former LEO. Neither were keen to discuss it. They could have been carrying illegally I suppose, but I doubt it.

My sister, who's a prosecutor in a phenomenally anti-gun town, was offered a carry permit (off record) by her local judge. 

It burns my ass that she's actually considering getting it, even though she knows 0% about guns. 

Good or bad? Should she get it and perhaps come to the other side?

My sister, who's a prosecutor in a phenomenally anti-gun town, was offered a carry permit (off record) by her local judge. 

It burns my ass that she's actually considering getting it, even though she knows 0% about guns. 

Good or bad? Should she get it and perhaps come to the other side?

Sounds like it's time for you to take her to the range.......

I believe that it must be a Superior Court Judge that approves the permit. There are thousands of local judges. I have seen some knuckle head judges that I wouldn't want to touch a gun.

ETA: That goes for LEOs also.

Prosecutors by statute do not need a "carry permit" if they choose to do so they can. They just need to qualify semi anually to PTC standards. Judges can not carry with out a permit. But I find it hard to believe a fellow judge would not approve the permit if they really wanted it.

Very interesting. She probably told me that but I didn't understand, or it didn't register.

I've known federal judges that had carry permits. I haven't checked up on it in the past 10 years, though.

That's not to difficult or out of the ordinary, though. 90% of them live in states where almost anyone can get a permit.

So back to the question.

I don't care about those who get to carry on statutory authority, like prosecutors or retired LEOs.

I want to know if there are any who got the superior court to pull a favor for them. Anyone? 

What are you looking for here?  The consensus already is that there's absolutely no empirical evidence, it's all hearsay.  The records are sealed and (I believe) are NOT subject to an OPRA request. Might even have been one of the bills that Christie DIDN'T veto that codified that fact...

I've known federal judges that had carry permits. I haven't checked up on it in the past 10 years, though.

Federal judges would have to get a carry permit from the state as there is no Fderal Carr Permit. There may be some regulation that authorizes Federal judges to carry under certain circumstances however I don't know of any. If there is any serious threat Federal judges get a protection detail from the US Marshal's Service.

Years ago there was a mayor in Elizabeth who had a carry permit. Even though he threatened police who were picketing his house and waved his gun around at a city council meeting he didn't lose his permit. Yes he was a Dem.

Federal judges would have to get a carry permit from the state as there is no Fderal Carr Permit. There may be some regulation that authorizes Federal judges to carry under certain circumstances however I don't know of any. If there is any serious threat Federal judges get a protection detail from the US Marshal's Service.

Years ago there was a mayor in Elizabeth who had a carry permit. Even though he threatened police who were picketing his house and waved his gun around at a city council meeting he didn't lose his permit. Yes he was a Dem.

OK, I have known federal judges who had carry permits, and lived in New Jersey, and worked in New Jersey, and carried in New Jersey, and got their carry permits from the State of New Jersey, and had two legs, two arms, two lungs, breathed air, stood on the Earth and had no magical powers, and were humans not cats, not aliens. Not even the Grays, and not shape shifters.

Did I leave anything out this time? :)

Prosecutors can and/or do carry. Their choice. They are considered LEO by the State/County.

Superior court judges do/can carry. Each county has a Superior Court Judge who hears concealed-carry permit or regular permit denials by local police municipalities. Are S.C.J's issued 'carry permits'? Yes. They have to apply to the Judge who hears permit denials. Who is going question the Men In Black Robes though? No one.