Rick_F

SIG 516 Bayonet Lug Compliance

Hey guys.  My recently purchased SIG 516 upper has a bayonet lug machined into the gas block.  I want to keep it as aesthetically pleasing as possible, and therefore want to remove as little as possible, yet be compliant.  Please advise which of my below options would likely be deemed acceptable.

12241687023_5a7bde2299_b.jpg

. If it can't hold a bayo, is it a bayo lug?

Well technically, with the ears ground off, a bayonet can still be attached, just not as fixed in place.  At the same time, one could effective duct-tape a bayonet to a barrel or rail, and it would likely work pretty well.

For those who say just grind the ears off. Have you ever tried to put a bayonet on it ? I have. It stays on pretty well. Unless you shake it off. Explain that to the twelve while the prosecutor digs deep into the verbage. Oh and dont drop the soap as your still explaining its not a functional bayo lug

I bet you don't travel with loaded mags and hollow points are illegal right?

If the bayonet can not lock in place and will slide of the bottom it is no longer a bayonet lug. Especially on that one. As rick said he can duct tape a knife in place, that doesn't make it a bayo lug

If a firearm doesn't fire is it still a firearm? Yes. Whether it functions is irrelevant. A frame lacking a barrel is still a firearm as far as the law is concerned.

Thus you are taking a risk if you assume that a bayonet lug that doesn't work well isn't a bayonet lug. It is a bayonet lug. Just one that doesn't work well.

Removing it means exactly that-removal. So it is not there. Because if it is there you are a felon.

Reducing the quality of its operation by partially removing pieces of it dies not make it cease to exist.

If a bayonet can slide into it, you have a bayonet lug. That the bayonet wont stay on just demonstrates a broken or worn out or defective bayonet lug in need of repair. A defective bayonet lug will yield a conviction just as quick as one that is in good order.

The courts don't care if it works or not, they care that it is there. It does not matter how ridiculous the law is, it will be enforced in this state as written, to the extent it is not twisted to be even more draconian.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

why not try to do something like this?  using a carbide bit in a die grinder you should be able to make it look pretty decent.

bayolugedit.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do that- it looks great!  I think I'll proceed accordingly.  If not, I'll grind the ears, and drill a hole an permanently install a rivet, so the channel will be too wide to slide the bayonet through.

Well technically, with the ears ground off, a bayonet can still be attached, just not as fixed in place. At the same time, one could effective duct-tape a bayonet to a barrel or rail, and it would likely work pretty well.

i use a qd flashlight mount and a spare m9 i have the hell with duct tape