Targetpractice

thinking about reloading

For reloading ask yourself a few questions.

1) Are you time limited or cash limited, and if so in what manner? I save a lot reloading because I am time limited. Roughly over the years, once you step past 9mm, it saves you 50% or more. I went form shooting half a case a month to shooting 80% of a case per month. Now I'm lucky if I get to shoot half a case a month. 

2) When will I do my reloading? This is important because reloading is a waste of money if you buy the gear and don't do it. It's also a waste of money if your reloading time comes out of time you could and would be making money.  If I figured in my effective hourly rate fro my day job, and applied it to my reloading, I'd be in a big hole. But getting paid doesn't work like that for me, and I'm not picking up a part time job where I work at 10pm in the evening once or twice a month for an hour or so. I've met some high end hourly rate professionals, and if they can squeeze in an extra billing hour working on stuff at home once a week, they can just buy retail loaded ammo. 

3) Will you be buying in bulk? No? Then don't do it unless it is purely for precision rifle ammo in small quantities. The reality is if you don't stock a decent amount in terms of components, you don't get as big a discount for anything but nice rifle ammo, and you can be subjected to having to snag four things in short supply to get one bullet that goes bang rather than just one. 

When I started, I was loading .45ACP with a lee turret, and 230gr jacketed bullets were $45 per k and a case of .45 was about $230. Whole rig was paid off in less than 3 months. The progressive setup took a little over 3 months (didn't replace the scale, calipers, etc. that didn't need replacing form the first one).  Had I gone straight to progressive, it'd probabvly have taken about 5 months of shooting about 1000 rounds of 230gr FMJ .45acp to pay for it. 

if you store a couple of gallons of gasoline in your garage and have a fire loss in which the gasoline burned as well, you will likely see most of the claim denied.if the fire is determined to have started in the vicinity of the gas, you will likely have the entire claim denied.

Gasoline must be stored in a hazmat fireproof cabinet - for insurance purposes and most policies do not permit it to be stored in the house at all.

Spray cans are not as big a problem unless you have a couple dozen. The qty will lead insurer to claim negligence by the homeowner in storing these in a fireproof cabinet.

Insurance is a dirty game, built on denying payment and playing the odds that most people do not read the fine print of their policy and do not demand written clarification of restrictions before something bad happens.

if you store a couple of gallons of gasoline in your garage and have a fire loss in which the gasoline burned as well, you will likely see most of the claim denied.if the fire is determined to have started in the vicinity of the gas, you will likely have the entire claim denied.

Gasoline must be stored in a hazmat fireproof cabinet...

I remain skeptical.   Do you have firsthand knowledge of a case where a claim was denied because there was gasoline stored in the garage?   Fire claims are paid out every day, it's a rare garage that doesn't have a gas can in it, and the number of homes with hazmat fireproof cabinets in their garage is probably very close to zero…because there is no requirement to have one.   I do not believe that insurance companies are routinely denying claims whenever a gas can, UL-listed and DOT-approved, happens to be in the vicinity of the source of the fire.  

When I bought my current house 5 years ago, inspectors from two different insurance agencies tromped through the place, neither commenting on the 5 gallon gas cans in my garage (or the gas tanks on the mower, snowblower, chain saw, weed whacker, leaf blower, or car, for that matter).   Neither inspector commented on the reloading bench set up in my basement, either.  

The reloading component issue gets discussed on other shooting boards from time to time.  The posts seem to all fall into two categories:  1) those warning that if you have reloading components and/or ammunition in your house, your insurance will certainly be null and void, and  2) those from people who had a fire involving among other things components and/or ammunition, and who had their insurance claim paid just the same.   I've not seen a contrary example.

I remain skeptical.   Do you have firsthand knowledge of a case where a claim was denied because there was gasoline stored in the garage?   

When I bought my current house 5 years ago, inspectors from two different insurance agencies tromped through the place, neither commenting on the 5 gallon gas cans in my garage (or the gas tanks on the mower, snowblower, chain saw, weed whacker, leaf blower, or car, for that matter).   Neither inspector commented on the reloading bench set up in my basement, either.  

The reloading component issue gets discussed on other shooting boards from time to time.  The posts seem to all fall into two categories:  1) those warning that if you have reloading components and/or ammunition in your house, your insurance will certainly be null and void, and  2) those from people who had a fire involving among other things components and/or ammunition, and who had their insurance claim paid just the same.   I've not seen a contrary example.

Claim payments are determined by many factors [policy limits, state insurance laws, claimant's financial condition, specifics of the fire, contributing factors, etc., etc]. Yes, I do have first hand knowledge of numerous screwings of homeowners and business owners.

In states like Fla, insurance laws make it easy for claimants to sue insurance companies for "bad faith" if they engage in double dealing the claimant. NJ laws were written by insurance companies. Insurers almost never deny a claim, they just offer a ridiculously insufficient amount.

The "inspectors" who look over your property when writing a policy, usually work for the insurance agency/broker. Their report is not binding on the insurance company. Only the "written terms" in the policy have any influence. Those terms are written with intentionally vague language.

There are NFS regs on proper storage of just about every type of hazardous material, most people are not even aware. Most people keep their primers and powder in a safe or steel cabinet - the exact opposite of when NFS regs require. 

To avoid hijacking this thread, I'll finish with the following: I, personally, would keep powder/primers in a house, only after my insurance company sent me a written acknowledgement of my reloading activity/materials and waived this as a cause for denying any portion of a possible loss claim. Additionally, I would also notify my local fire inspector [in writing].