Grapeshot

Only in NJ...

Correct.  No FID required for possession. 

I think where he went wrong is buying it online living here in new jersey.  Remember, only this state considers an air rifle a firearm.  So, in the eyes of the state he purchased a firearm without the proper ID. 

Im not defending this BS, just pointing out how the law is written.

Ken

I don't know what air rifles you guys have but mine shoots the gold pellets at 1200fps and while not ideal will definitely kill a deer if shot in the right spot such as brain, heart, lungs, or the liver. while I know if is not a great argument to quote a reality tv show but I was recently watching a show North woods law (I think that's the name) and a person shot a cow moose a few times with an air rifle because it was supposedly chasing his dog. The moose ran away and died in the woods due to punctured lungs. If it can kill a moose it can kill just about anything.     

Shooting at squirrels not a problem in my book.  I do have a problem with this.

Frenchtown Patrolman Matthew Kelly investigated and said that pellets were found in siding and the window frame on a neighbor's barn, which is used as a garage in the residential neighborhood north of the business district.

It may not be enough to "kill a deer", but it can surely put a hurt on a person shot with one.  Dumbass broke cardinal rule "know your target AND WHATS BEHIND IT".

Pellet gun law is stupid but the RULE is absolutely not.

Ahh yes, the deadly assault weapon that is the Red Ryder BB gun...:rolleyes:

I loved this commenter:

Perhaps he meant a *balloon* deer, or a stuffed animal deer, or maybe a deer shaped cookie.

And I think you get to count it as "murder" in NJ if you were ever, in your lifetime, anywhere near a gun that discharged, and then you died of old age later.

Where's the live footage of the cops attempting to capture the squirrel they believed might have been "wounded"?

Shooting at squirrels not a problem in my book.  I do have a problem with this.

It may not be enough to "kill a deer", but it can surely put a hurt on a person shot with one.  Dumbass broke cardinal rule "know your target AND WHATS BEHIND IT".

Pellet gun law is stupid but the RULE is absolutely not.

You hit the nail on the head. If the neighbor wasnt finding pellets in his garage wall the police would likely never have been called. Of coarse the other issue sticks out here. Why wouldnt you go talk to your neighbor? The same applies to the police. Why waste the time and money to arrest and prosecute this guy. Knock on the door "hey buddy,. if someone was shooting a pellet gun her it would be illegal, make sure its not happening". Handled

The headline says powerful enough to kill a deer but in the body of the article the chief is quoted as saying the rifle doesn't have the capacity to kill a deer. What did the chief actually say?

Hes trying to say in the article this is not your "run of the mill BB gun" bc a "bb gun couldn't take down a deer" but this terrible WMD that this man bought on amazon can.

The headline says powerful enough to kill a deer but in the body of the article the chief is quoted as saying the rifle doesn't have the capacity to kill a deer. What did the chief actually say?

What he meant to say was, "If you like your deer you can kill your deer. Period."

Hey Lads ----   A 177 pellet gun killed a woman in West Milford a few years ago.

Not busting on you Old School. But, I bet more people died on stairs then pellet guns since then.

When I was stationed in Alaska, we had a teenager die from an AD from a 22lr. After plinking at the town range which was quite the hot spot for many of us, the boys threw a cased rifle into the car and it discharged hitting the kid in the neck. He bled out before they made it to the paved road. The kid's father who threw the rifle in the car was my section Chief and were real nice Christian folks. Shit happens sadly.

Correct.  No FID required for possession. 

I don't know if you are correct with respect to air rifles (not doubting) but an air handgun is the same as a real handgun in NJ (one crime grade lower)

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

When I first moved to NJ I went to Sports Authority to pick up a Crossman pump BB/pellet gun for a squirrel problem I was having.  I nearly choked when the guy asked me for my FID.  Initially I thought he may have not heard me so I asked again.  He responded that he, in fact heard me but it was against the law in NJ for him to even allow me to hold the BB gun without my FID being placed on the counter.  I was dumb-founded.  I asked if that was true for the Red Ryder.  He said even the Red Ryder. 

Needless to say I went on the quest for this elusive FID.  I was living in Hightstown at the time.  It took every minute of 6 months before I saw that FID but I got that BB gun. 

.338 Lapua or Red Ryder BB gun...same process, same wait.

It's just ridiculous!

It's possible a deer could easily be killed with good shot placement, not to mention the ecology of NJ's deer population. Since they don't really have any natural predators in NJ, the deer population is huge here. As a result, they eat most of the available food (Next time you drive take a notice at the woods you see. You don't see much underbrush, or branches/leaves below a certain point--deer have eaten most of the available food.) As a result, the deer in NJ tend to be undernourished. Plus, with the density of their population, disease spreads quickly, so a lot of them are fairly sickly anyway.

^^^ Wrong!!!! I'm the natural predator to every deer. Unfortunately for your tulips, other yard foliage, & auto collision premiums, I'm grossly outnumbered. If there were more of me there would be less of a deer population problem in the state.

^^^ Wrong!!!! I'm the natural predator to every deer. Unfortunately for your tulips, other yard foliage, & auto collision premiums, I'm grossly outnumbered. If there were more of me there would be less of a deer population problem in the state.

Haha, this may shock you, but that's exactly what my Global Ecology professor said. More or less, there needs to be more hunters in NJ to keep the population in check, currently the deer are wrecking havoc on the ecosystems by eating anything they can reach (including young plants), and spreading disease.

I actually wouldn't be adverse to hunting, I had venison once, it was delicious. Mom wouldn't like it, but w/e. It's more a matter of me not having gotten around to taking the courses, and the fact you can't hunt with a rifle in NJ. 

You can most definitely hunt with a rifle in NJ. I've legally put many .50 caliber holes through deer. But honestly I will leave the guns home, for my bow or crossbow any day. If your seriously interested in hunting I would be happy to help guide you through the process, its not very difficult to obtain the requirements for a license these days. It's one Sunday morning out of your life & your done, for all three disciplines: Rifle, Shotgun, & bow. There aren't too many places in NJ where you really need a rifle to take a deer. Most shots are 50 yards or less you'll encounter.

You can most definitely hunt with a rifle in NJ. I've legally put many .50 caliber holes through deer. But honestly I will leave the guns home, for my bow or crossbow any day. If your seriously interested in hunting I would be happy to help guide you through the process, its not very difficult to obtain the requirements for a license these days. It's one Sunday morning out of your life & your done, for all three disciplines: Rifle, Shotgun, & bow. There aren't too many places in NJ where you really need a rifle to take a deer. Most shots are 50 yards or less you'll encounter.

I'm a relative noob to archery, having just gotten a bow at Christmas, and I wouldn't want to risk making the deer suffer because i'm a bad shot. But you can hunt in NJ with a rifle? Where?

Pretty much I feel like a rifle is one of the most humane ways, since it drops them pretty fast. Plus, I'm much more confident in my abilities with a rifle as opposed to a shotgun. I mean, I know you can use a .22 for trap, but I was under the impression I couldn't lug out my 8mm mauser and take down a deer.

But I really know very little about hunting, so maybe I wouldn't need it. I really have no clue haha.

You can use a slug gun mine is 12g with a rifled barrel & scoped, pretty close to a rifle but not quite. Still 100 yards its dead on and makes a .73 cal hole. Or you can use a Muzzle loader, that is a rifle, and perfectly legal to hunt deer with in NJ. Modern muzzle loaders are bad ass.

Cant take out your 8mm for deer on this side of the Delaware, but shoot my .50 cal muzzle loader once and you will understand the awesomeness of launching a 295 grain copper jacketed hollow point down range with a huge fireball and smoke cloud behind it. Definitely something I recommend everyone try once.

Also you can hunt coyote and Fox with a center fire rifle up to .25 cal. So yeah with an AR15 variant rifle you can hunt, just not deer unfortunately. I killed a coyote this season with my Mini14.

As far as archery, practice, practice, practice. Thats important for a clean kill. But the Xbow is a no brainer put the scope on the target and pull trigger, dead deer. May as well be a gun, mine is dead on out to 60yards. Just need to be sure your shot is clear, one twig in the way and your screwed.

Make sure you mention to your professor that Coyote are also very over populated in NJ and they can and do kill deer as well.

Make sure you mention to your professor that Coyote are also very over populated in NJ and they can and do kill deer as well.

I walk all over NW NJ, often around dusk. I've seen at least 25 bears, never a coyote.