Sign in to follow this  
bad64chevelle

anyone out predator hunting ?

A buddy and I got into it last year , used some mouth calls and a cheap-o electronic caller . Shot a few fox and did a lot of time in the woods but no coyote.

This season started out perfect with a fox down exactly 6 minutes into our first stand. Saw one coyote during six day but wasn't in range . Its been a tough year not seeing much but tonight I got the itch and went out on our farm at sundown.

Called for a good 25 minutes at random intervals , and had a small coyote go wide to my left, no shot on it but it disappeared. I'm set up on an edge of our field playing the cross wind perfectly , and do a scan . Two sets of eyes sprinting towards my adjacent corner of the field. A good 45 seconds later a decent size coyote shows itself but no shot . Staring at my mojo critter , still and silent. He barely presents a shot finally, stupidly I hit my light on my shotgun and he breaks for it . I took a shot but missed . Barely.

I'm mad at myself for not waiting , but didn't think he was sticking around any longer .

Moral of my story.... as I was about to give up on the season , my closest and what will be my most haunted encounter with a coyote came along and now I'm hooked again.

Anyone having any luck ?

PS I have a new found belief in the fox pro. Second time out with it was tonight !

sounds like fun, but why use a shotgun when you can use a .223  and dial that dingo in from across the field.

You can't use rifles after dark, only shotguns. 

My friend has a Foxpro caller, and we've got Coyotes to howl back at the call, but they've never come in to it, yet. 

Yeah , as plode said only shotgun after dark. I use a .22 mag at my farm during the day and .223 at some of our other places we hunt that have a bit more room.

Plode that's a good sign ! We only have gotten one to return a call down in the pines a few weeks ago.pretty fun when they return a call!

Question I've been meaning to ask for a while...

What kinds of rifles are legal for hunting in NJ? I've read the hunting guide, but was somewhat confused.

I thought only .22, and a only for small game, like rabbits and squirrels.

I'm not much of a rifle guy. I have a .22., and a few Mosins. As I understand it the .223 is a real round.

Question I've been meaning to ask for a while...

What kinds of rifles are legal for hunting in NJ? I've read the hunting guide, but was somewhat confused.

I thought only .22, and a only for small game, like rabbits and squirrels.

I'm not much of a rifle guy. I have a .22., and a few Mosins. As I understand it the .223 is a real round.

.22 is not allowed for small game in NJ. (only if you are trapping.)

For fox & coyote (during daylight hours):

Centerfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft

point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

Rimfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .22 caliber with soft

point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 50 grains.

Coyote hunting can a big social event in other areas not too far from New Jersey. PA & NY each hold contests every year.

More than 700 people participated in this event last year in New York.

http://www.sullivancountysportsmensfederationny.com/pdf%27s/2014_Coyote_Hunt.pdf

Coyote hunting can a big social event in other areas not too far from New Jersey. PA & NY each hold contests every year.

More than 700 people participated in this event last year in New York.

http://www.sullivancountysportsmensfederationny.com/pdf%27s/2014_Coyote_Hunt.pdf

How does coyote taste?

They have been digging to get into our chicken coupes. The local pets that have gone missing , and the decline in Turkey on my property. When I hunt on my farm there are no philosophical questions. The only questions I face are day or night and rifle or shotgun .

They have been digging to get into our chicken coupes. The local pets that have gone missing , and the decline in Turkey on my property. When I hunt on my farm there are no philosophical questions. The only questions I face are day or night and rifle or shotgun .

Exactly.  I know they have been terrorizing a local horse farm, and a friend of mine has had them on his surveillance cameras several times around his chicken and rabbit coups, but luckily they couldn't get past the fence he put up around them.  I don't mind the decline in turkeys, I hit one of those in my car and it caused me $374 in damages.  

Fair enough to want to deplete a species that's causing damage. I had a nasty groundhog problem 5-6 years ago. Had to kill all of them. Ugly, smelly beasts were eating everything in my garden. I have a video of one returning to its burrow with one of my tomatoes in its mouth. Then 2 summers ago (after that very dry winter) we had a huge deer, yellow jacket, and squirrel problem. What caliber do you use for bees? The squirrels ate ALL my figs but 1-2. Would be nice to be able to pick off these critters from my bathroom window.