MeanderingCuban

Remington 870 barrel swap

I have a Remington 870 Express with a six round magazine and an 18" barrel. I'd like to try my hand at skeet and trap shooting but I do not want to purchase another shotgun. According to Remington I cannot remove the barrel and install a longer barrel. They provided no reason why this cannot be done. tThe barrel on my 870 comes off just like any other 870's barrel.

Is this indeed accurate or can I get a longer barrel for my 870? By the way the receiver on my 870 Express states "tactical" i guess because it's black. Other than that it looks just like any other Rem 870 Express.

You used to be able to swap out barrels but they changed it so you can't anymore. It's due to the tube size. There is a very cheap fix though. My buddy did it. It's like a 3 or 4 inch piece of pvc. Slips right on. He shot a few rounds of trap with no issues.

Google it and you will find the exact fix.

I personally would just buy another 870 express. They can be had used for $100 if you look around. Probably less than a barrel would cost. Ive seen a lot lately for sale. Everyone that hunts is into the 3.5" shell receiver these days. Any shot gun I own stays in the safe these days and collects dust if it cant chamber a 3.5" shell. Except my over under, I still use that for birds and skeet. Turkey, goose, duck, deer are all being hunted more these days with 3-1/2's. Unless your and old man with a 50 year old JC Higgens or Ithica. I would just expect to not see a Baby Boomer with a modern shotgun. They fear change:lol: Not that there is anything wrong with those older guns they do kill, just not as well as the bigger rounds do.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I personally would just buy another 870 express. They can be had used for $100 if you look around. Probably less than a barrel would cost. Ive seen a lot lately for sale. Everyone that hunts is into the 3.5" shell receiver these days. Any shot gun I own stays in the safe these days and collects dust if it cant chamber a 3.5" shell. Except my over under, I still use that for birds and skeet. Turkey, goose, duck, deer are all being hunted more these days with 3-1/2's. Unless your and old man with a 50 year old JC Higgens or Ithica. I would just expect to not see a Baby Boomer with a modern shotgun. They fear change:lol: Not that there is anything wrong with those older guns they do kill, just not as well as the bigger rounds do. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I'll take all the 870 Express's you can find for a $100

I personally would just buy another 870 express. They can be had used for $100 if you look around. Probably less than a barrel would cost. Ive seen a lot lately for sale. Everyone that hunts is into the 3.5" shell receiver these days. Any shot gun I own stays in the safe these days and collects dust if it cant chamber a 3.5" shell. Except my over under, I still use that for birds and skeet. Turkey, goose, duck, deer are all being hunted more these days with 3-1/2's. Unless your and old man with a 50 year old JC Higgens or Ithica. I would just expect to not see a Baby Boomer with a modern shotgun. They fear change:lol: Not that there is anything wrong with those older guns they do kill, just not as well as the bigger rounds do. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I hunt waterfowl with the 3" shells. You get a more full pattern with 3 1/2, but that's all. If a cartridge adds range and speed to your shot, its worth the investment, but more shot isn't necessarily better... and you get more shot in your meat. Follow up shots are easier with the kick too.

I see no reason why you wouldnt be able to find a barrel that fits... they make the express in longer barrels.. unless the longer barrel versions have shorter magazine tubes.. I'm assuming its an issue of the barrel clamp location.

I hunt waterfowl with the 3" shells. You get a more full pattern with 3 1/2, but that's all. If a cartridge adds range and speed to your shot, its worth the investment, but more shot isn't necessarily better... and you get more shot in your meat. Follow up shots are easier with the kick too.

I see no reason why you wouldnt be able to find a barrel that fits... they make the express in longer barrels.. unless the longer barrel versions have shorter magazine tubes.. I'm assuming its an issue of the barrel clamp location.

Thats the reason the barrel wont fit the tactical receiver. Mag tube too long.

I hunt duck with 3" also, goose I use 3-1/2"

The 3-1/2's are just too much for duck IMO.

I'll take all the 870 Express's you can find for a $100

I saw one recently at a show for $150. Bought one a few years ago for $100 from a guy selling it for bail money, he owed child support and directed his brother to sell all his guns to get out of jail. Also got a Winchester 150 Ranger for $100 from the same guy and a Mossberg 500 for $125. All three were in beautiful shape. The deals are out there just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Look and you will find them. All three of those guns just sit in my safe collecting dust, I always grab my Maxis over any of those pumps to hunt with. I'll probably give one to my nephew when he grows out of my first 20g.