MartyZ

double fire

Hi folks, i've been away for a while busy with work. I took my PAP M77 to the range for the first time today and it shoots beautifully. However, 2 times the gun double fired on me. The first time i thought that maybe i pressed the trigger twice in quick succession but didn't feel it because i was wearing gloves, but the second time it was quite evident that double fired. The first time was after about 30 rounds and the second time was after about 70 rounds, and it seamed like it happened with the same mag both times. I will call century arms tomorrow, but until then has anyone experienced this with an AK style rifle? Could it be mag related?

Does your AK variant use a free-floating firing pin like the SKS?  Is there a chance that there's some rust or gunk in the firing pin channel causing it to protrude from the bolt when picking up the next round?  I'm not familiar with your firearm or AKs in general, so that's just a guess on my part.  

The gun was brand new, i cleaned out all the packing grease i saw but i didnt take out the firing pin. I will definatly check that tonight.

Any Yugo gun out of the factory will have the packing grease that is very hard to get rid of in the small nooks of the bolt.

Its a sticky type grease/oil combo almost like a film. Use WD-40 or brakleen on the firing pin channel and bolt.

Definitely get the firing pin channel cleaned, or disassemble the bolt yourself and clean the firing pin and the channel it is in well, because if it doubles now due to a gunked up firing pin channel, the next step is for it to not just double but to fire the whole magazine uncontrolled and without you being able to stop it, not to mention a round firing out of battery and causing real damage.

Once you get the thing perfectly clean, put only very very light oil in there, like rem oil.  No grease, nothing that will get gunky or sticky.

This happens more often on SKS rifles but on any rifle it could happen.

I was on the bench the second time it happened but not the first.

I think it is the firing pin.  I didn't get a chance to do much last night but I did look at the round that was chambered right after the second double fire, as I stopped shooting it at that point.  And that round did have a shallow indentation in the primer from the firing pin.  I am still going to call century arms today, but tonight I am planning to completely disassemble the bolt and de-grease everything.  Any suggestions what I should use to de-grease? 

I was on the bench the second time it happened but not the first.

I think it is the firing pin.  I didn't get a chance to do much last night but I did look at the round that was chambered right after the second double fire, as I stopped shooting it at that point.  And that round did have a shallow indentation in the primer from the firing pin.  I am still going to call century arms today, but tonight I am planning to completely disassemble the bolt and de-grease everything.  Any suggestions what I should use to de-grease? 

alcohol works for me

Ok, I took the firing pin out of the bolt, sprayed the bolt inside and out with gun scrubber, sprayed the firing pin with gun scrubber, put on a thin layer of mpro 7 and still no change.  I did notice 2 things though: 1) the firing pin sticks out past the bolt face by a hair. 2) it appears that the taper pin is rubbing against the firing pin.  I called century arms today and they told me the same thing everyone here did, to try cleaning the bolt and firing pin.  I will call them back tomorrow and try to get them to send me a new bolt assembly.

These pictures are just from bringing the bolt forward, the trigger was not pressed

Before cleaning

20140210_204303_zps8dee2e03.jpg?t=139208

After cleaning

20140210_220555_zpsf0166af8.jpg?t=139208

if your pushing the firing pin back in the bolt face and it stops and its not flush with the bolt face .

I would do a couple things , 1st order a new firing pin, 2nd figure out do you need to increase the relief notch (slot ) in the firing pin to increase the travel back words of the FP.

Or do you file down the tip of the FP.

I was actually thinking of filling a notch in the retaining pin on 2 sides. On one side to prevent it from rubbing against the firing pin and on the other side to allow the pin to go back more. I just remembered one other thing, when i had the double fire i felt the trigger jerk.

If you don't want to be afraid every single time you chamber a round or load a magazine with more than one round, then take it to a gunsmith and make sure the damn thing is working properly.

Dremel plus fire control components plus inexperience equals problem.  This is not an area you want to proceed by trial and error.