i am building a target stand with ar500 steel targets. two 8", one 3", and one 10" gong. they are hanging targets. i have them mounted to two chains each. they all slightly lean downward. Anyone ever have any issue with richocet? the way i have it setup shouldnt be a problem. Just curious if anyone has ever been hit by a richocet from a steel target

I shot a steel target mounted on a 4"X4" post with my AR from about 25 yds and a friend that was standing about 5 yds behind and to the left of me was hit in the chin with a fragment. It made a small cut and a trickle of blood but thankfully no major injury.

I shot a steel target mounted on a 4"X4" post with my AR from about 25 yds and a friend that was standing about 5 yds behind and to the left of me was hit in the chin with a fragment. It made a small cut and a trickle of blood but thankfully no major injury.

25yds is dangerously close...obviously

I shot a steel target mounted on a 4"X4" post with my AR from about 25 yds and a friend that was standing about 5 yds behind and to the left of me was hit in the chin with a fragment. It made a small cut and a trickle of blood but thankfully no major injury.

sounds like two problems here. #1 a rifle shooting a steel target is a recommended distance of 100yds minimum. the other problem is from what i understand a steel target should never be fixed to a solid post unless angled down. 

Plates have got to have the ability to move or redirect the projectile.  Otherwise it will be like that that baseball return we used to throw at when we were kids. Comes back twice as fast.

Have bought from JC Steel Targets and like them a lot.  Hold up well.

We shoot steel hanging from shepards hooks all the time. Minimum distance ten yards, but usually shoot it a bit further away. Sometimes you get hit with small pieces, but never ever anything serious. I was about twenty five feet behind a shooter at a USPSA match and got hit in the shin, scratched me slightly, bled for a few seconds. It happens, thats why you never take off the eye protection.

The shepards hooks let the steel move when hit, so it helps deflect and particles and if the steel is not pitted, it normally does not come back towards the shooter.

this is how i set up my ar500 targets. they hang and slightly lean forward on chains. look safe? whats closest I should shoot these safely? Been shooting for years but new to steel. thanks

I think if you're on chains, the down angle isn't as critical (but doesn't hurt).  The plate will naturally swing when the bullet hits it, so a lot of the energy is absorbed.

I have a similar setup and haven't had any problems yet.  Although expect your wood frame to get chewed up, as the shrapnel just blasts it from all angles.

I think if you're on chains, the down angle isn't as critical (but doesn't hurt).  The plate will naturally swing when the bullet hits it, so a lot of the energy is absorbed.

I have a similar setup and haven't had any problems yet.  Although expect your wood frame to get chewed up, as the shrapnel just blasts it from all angles.

whats the closest you get to your targets? 

whats the closest you get to your targets? 

My range requires them to be at full distance, so 100 yards for rifle and 20-25 yards for pistol.

I've only used .22LR, .223, and 7.62x39 calibers on the rifle range.   I have 1/2" plates and with these rounds there's just the tiniest of dimples/craters.   I don't have any magnum rifles, but if I did I probably wouldn't shoot steel at 100 yards since the minimum recommendation for them is 200.

For pistol I've used .22LR, .38, .357, and 9mm.   The plates just laugh at these...

this is how i set up my ar500 targets. they hang and slightly lean forward on chains. look safe? whats closest I should shoot these safely? Been shooting for years but new to steel. thanks

The small one may come off once you hit it. All the other ones will most likely work out well.