JSF01

Egyptian Rasheed

So while out at a gun show today I found myself a an Egyptian Rasheed rifle. that some one was selling. He had two for sale, so I picked up the cheaper of the two. It's missing the screws that hold the front sling loop/end cap (not sure the technical term), rear sling point, bayonet, and butt plate (though the guy told me he was going to mail me one). The other one while complete except for the bayonet, had a bore that was in very rough shape. Besides the few missing parts the one I ended up buying is in pretty good shape. Once I receive the butt plate, I'll just need to take a trip to a hardware store to pick up some screws, and it will make a great shooter.

8iob.jpg

I don't really know too much about them except that they are pretty rare, though not really valuable, and are suppose to shoot really nice. From what little I read I have seen people say any where between 2000-8000 were made while only about 1500-2000 imported into the US. I figured at $325, even if it turns out that was more than it is worth, I don't think it would be that much lower.

you got a great deal on that ! looks like the wood is a replacement . maybe if your lucky a SKS bayo will fit , but im not sure . Ther was a guy selling repro butt plates on ebay so check there .

They are called the cadillacs if sks"s

Isn't that like saying the CTS is the Cadillac of Ford Taurus'?

So does any one know why the top of the receiver slides forward? I know on the AG-42 and I believe on the Hakim as well, it's because that's how you pull the bolt back. The Rasheed though a charging handle to do that, and from what I can tell on mine sliding the top cover of the receiver does nothing, since it does not pick up the bolt, and just springs back into place.

Sks feels and shoots like garbage after shooting the Rasheed.

I love mine.

I saw some guy that had this from this forum and he told me about the history of it, so then I had to get one.

I don't really like this guy, he is really bad for my wallet. A bad influence as far as my wallet goes.

I don't really like to mention names but his initials are JUNKMANTED!

NOW You really need a hakim, then possibly a Ljungman.

Just don't get them with replacement stocks, NO likey!

But as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Welcome to the club

now I NEED one of these !

I told you about it the last time

Clint I need you to buy stuff I dont have so I can shoot them :)

like what? I mean what don't you have?

Maybe a samurai sword, well you can't shoot that. So maybe a Dillinger?

NOW You really need a hakim, then possibly a Ljungman.

Just don't get them with replacement stocks, NO likey!

But as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Welcome to the club

The Ljungman is the firearm that I have been wanting for a while now. In fact that was the reason why I originally passed up a Rasheed  about a year ago when I saw three different ones for sale (two at one gun show and one at another.) I had seen multiple Hakims for sale, but I really  wanted the Ljungman, so I was not really interested in an Egyptian copy. I saw the Rasheeds and put them in the same category as the Hakims, in that they were nothing more than a replacement for the Hakims when Egypt went to 7.62x39. Than I found out that they made very few and estimates that only 2000 or less were ever imported into the US. So ever since I have been kicking myself for not buying one for the past year, because even though they are not particular valuable, the idea of owning a firearm that rare is in itself a really cool. 

It's kind of funny because I am pretty sure I bought it from the same guy that had them last year when I originally saw them, which might mean I bought one of the ones I saw last year that I have been kicking myself over since.  

I have a request for any one that has a Rasheed rifle. I would like to know the size of the screws for the butt plate, rear sling point and frond sling point. Some pictures of the screws would be nice too, so I can try to match the originals. I love to see pictures of your Rasheeds in general. As for the wood in your opinion should I give it some sort of protective coat like lacquer or something? normally I am against refinishing on military surplus, but in this case because it has no finish I am thinking that maybe I should to better preserve the rifle. On the other hand since they are quite rare rifles should I leave the stock as is.

That's good to know. What about the front sling point/ hand guard attach point ( am not sure if there is technical name for it). On the SKS the stock is slightly different so it does not have the same sling attachment point and the hand guard is slightly different. On the underside of hand guard it looks like it is opened up for a nut that a small bolt might screw into instead of just a simple screw? 

7ko9.jpg

There is a 1 inch screw that goes through the handguard retainer and a 1/2 inch flat head screw on top. And there is a pressed in round nut on the inside of the handguard ..

Any other pictures befor i put it away.

The flat head screw on mine is wrong, its a allen head . I forgot that I need to replace it .

100_2566_zps28255b76.jpg

100_2569_zpseef3f0ba.jpg

100_2570_zps9c1c71dc.jpg

The 1 inch screw that goes through the side, is there a nut that holds it in place on the opposite side, or do the bolt threads just catch the hole on the opposite side of the handguard retainer? The hardest part is I am going to have to put the whole though the stock. 

What are you talking about? I never had a hakim

I think he means it in a why don't you have one yet, type of way.

Nice rifle, though the picture seems to be upside down. It did get me thinking though that if you have a rifle without a pistol grip that is stored in the horizontal position that is your go to for an emergency, storing it upside down makes the most sense.

I did think of another question though, How long is the Rasheed's bayonet? I believe on the SKS's some had a 16" and some had a 20"  bayonet, though I could be wrong.