plumbshotsam

Remington R51 owner "wannabe"

I guess by now that quite a few shooters are aware of Remington's remake of the model 51. There are quite a few videos out there and plenty of blogs and reports.

Does anyone have any idea when they will actually be available to buy?

How about recommended sources to buy / pre-order / order?

I was very interested in one, but then...

I've handled one and it was quite comfortable and, like Vlad G says, it's bigger than you may think. Definitely not a pocket gun, it's about the size of a 1911 Commander. TTAG has a good review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

I don't intend to carry it as I am not lawman and no cc permit. I am looking for a compact / subcompact 9mm single stack and have rented quite a few both at RTSP and Heritage Easton. Allo seem to be ......"..lightweight?"  polymer frames, I guess. Big hands, also; ...cheapskate, also;  this Rem with the aluminum frame seemed to sound good wth a good price. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I already have a Beretta M9 that I love.

That review is giving me second thoughts...I'll have to handle one and see if I can take a few shots with it. The issue of the slide hitting his hand may be a problem. I have bigger hands and can actually get a good grip on the gun. His hands look to be considerably smaller than mine causing him to grip it differently. I had a similar problem with the M&P Shield when others have sworn by them. Because of the size of my hand and how I grip, that thing beat the hell out of my thumb knuckle with every shot. By the time I finished two boxes, the bruised thumb knuckle told me I don't want a M&P Shield. With the R51 being a larger gun, it may not be an issue...never had a problem with my 1911 or G17 (Gen1)

I guess we'll see once Remington starts shipping them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what is now steering me away is the fact about the reassembly process. if the tab isnt reinserted properly it will fail to fire and you have no way of knowing until it happens. unacceptable

I am very interested in the R51 but after reading this it will make me think a great deal if i want to be in the beta testing bunch for this gun. This is a big FAIL. I can live with the improper reassembly if it can be detected on a function check before rounds go down the pipe. But if you have no way of knowing until it happens during live fire ..........too much risk to take.

I don't plan to use this as anything but a range gun like most i own, but still.....

This review probably has turned off a lot of prospective buyers. Shame.....their 1911 is decent.

Its shipping and I read reviews on some forums and things do not look good.

Turns out all the ones @ Shot were custom fitted and made to look flawless.

Besides the things that were already reported  here

here's just one---

Military Arms Channel made a short video explaining some issues before live fire

bad rear sight that floats,

bad trigger

impossible to rack

are just a few

http://bearingarms.com/video-more-remington-r51-problems/

Handled one last night at the range. I agree the pistol feels terrible. The grip safety is very "clicky" when your grab the pistol, and as mentioned, racking the slide isn't great. Very gritty, I didn't shoot one but imagine it might create problems while cycling.

I did want one when I first saw them advertised, after handling one the feeling is gone.

What range? I'd like to handle one as well. I've been considering the R51 since it was first announced.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Shore shot had one yesterday. Howell gun works also had one during the week.

Thanks to all; you convinced me to wait until they swat those R-51 bugs. I just got back from Precision Firearms in Edison (home of the $35.00 FFL transfer!!!) with my new, very gently used, Kahr CW-9. I found it on Gunbroker for $275.00 and looks great.

The Kahr came through with a 7 round mag and I bought a new 8 round Kahr mag which I seem to be having a problem with when loading all 8 rounds.

When I push the last (8th) round in the mag, the 7th seems to have the nose tip down and jam up. Inserting the mag into the gun and racking it chambers the first round but the next with the tipped down nose gets wedged in. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

I am very interested in the R51 but after reading this it will make me think a great deal if i want to be in the beta testing bunch for this gun. This is a big FAIL. I can live with the improper reassembly if it can be detected on a function check before rounds go down the pipe. But if you have no way of knowing until it happens during live fire ..........too much risk to take.

I don't plan to use this as anything but a range gun like most i own, but still.....

This review probably has turned off a lot of prospective buyers. Shame.....their 1911 is decent.

I really thought it seemed neat, and as for carry guns, I was mulling it over as a cheap decent carry pistol for when I finally leave NJ. Kind of a shame to see that it's got such major flaws. I'm a bit of a Remington fanboy. Though all said and done, it's not like anyone can actually carry in NJ, so unless it's your nightstand gun, the issues with it likely won't cost any NJ residents their lives in a self-defense situation. I'm sure that Remington is just going with the Apple strategy--release a productt that's really good in some areas, but obviously needs improvement, and heavily market it. Once all the early-adopters spend their money, and sales start to decline as all the people who want it as is buy it, they'll come out with a revised version that fixes the major issues, might  get early adopters to buy the new version, and captures the sales of those who were hesitant to begin with.

And yes, their 1911s ARE very nice, especially if you get them for a great price! ;)