JaredC

10/30 15/30 pmag legality questions.....

What is the legality of 10/30 15/30 pmags?   i have been seeing them more and more online and i think in the range unless those were 30 rounders....   are these 100% legal in nj?   how do you make a illegal 30 round a legal 15 round?   ffl needs to pin or plastic weld it?  

It needs to be "permanently modified" to hold no more then 15 rounds. What that means is up to you.....and the jury when you become the test case. I would feel comfortable with those from MidwestPX, Riflegear, and PK90. These are all quite popular and openly advertised for use in NJ.

It needs to be "permanently modified" to hold no more then 15 rounds. What that means is up to you.....and the jury when you become the test case. I would feel comfortable with those from MidwestPX, Riflegear, and PK90. These are all quite popular and openly advertised for use in NJ.

it still has to draw a lot of attention tho.... 

Any magazine permanently altered to accept ONLY 15 RDS or less are permitted. Not a single more. Permanently altered is not defined iirc but imo Midwest's mags satisfy this requirement. Remember if you are thinking of modifying it at home, possession of 30 magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds is illegal in NJ.

Never even had a second look at any range.

^^^^This

If you are concerned with people questioning you or if you like the ability to disassemble & clean your mags, you can always get these from MidwestPX.

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15_136_108

Description from their site.

Starting with a 30rd Magpul Gen2/MOE PMAG, we cut the magazine down so the capacity is limited to 15 rounds without the use of a block or other limiting device. These magazines can be easily disassembled for cleaning simply by depressing the inner lockplate and drifting the three roll pins out. These magazines are not welded shut like our other limited capacity offerings.

OP,

As for people asking question at the range, I have not had any problems at SJSC. If I were to catch any grief I would simply state that they are 15 round magazines and leave it at that. After all, it may just be someone who is trying to be helpful. I have found that most of the people I have run into in southern NJ understand the common modification of 30 to 15 Pmags. Most important thing is to do your best to know what the law says and then do what you find comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

As far as scrutiny I have never had an issue at CJ, but at R14 they did come up to me every range trip and ask how many rds my mags held.  Told them the mags were blocked at 15 and didn't have any further issues.

Personally Ive never had an issue at CJRPC or R14 with my MidwestPX 15/30s from anyone. They are so common that people just dont ask. Although I can say I have counted rounds of some LEO using personal rifles at the range and its not uncommon to hear 20 or 30 rounds before a mag drop.... But that's their issue not mine. Ive had people give me grief about a bayonet on a Yugo SKS in the past, so much that they called the local PD to question the legality of it. The local PD ofcoarse couldn't give them a proper answer. That very reasoning is why im purchasing legit 10 or 15rd mags. Not everyone knows the law. I feel that the 15/30s from MidwestPX are legal and fulfill all discriptions, and would defend them to any questioning LEO / risk that case. Most other makers Id stray away from and forget homebrewing some on my own. My craftsmanship isn't going to be the reason I may or not breathe free air in the future.

Personally Ive never had an issue at CJRPC or R14 with my MidwestPX 15/30s from anyone. They are so common that people just dont ask. Although I can say I have counted rounds of some LEO using personal rifles at the range and its not uncommon to hear 20 or 30 rounds before a mag drop.... But that's their issue not mine. Ive had people give me grief about a bayonet on a Yugo SKS in the past, so much that they called the local PD to question the legality of it. The local PD ofcoarse couldn't give them a proper answer. That very reasoning is why im purchasing legit 10 or 15rd mags. Not everyone knows the law. I feel that the 15/30s from MidwestPX are legal and fulfill all discriptions, and would defend them to any questioning LEO / risk that case. Most other makers Id stray away from and forget homebrewing some on my own. My craftsmanship isn't going to be the reason I may or not breathe free air in the future.

I would have told them to mind their damn business.

so its a factory made 15 round to look like a 30 round....     now what kind of bullshit does having these get at a range?   a dozen people coming up to you to check?

It's the opposite, factory 30 round blocked to accept 15 rounds. Personally, I like the 15/20's better, so the mag doesn't get in the way when I shoot from a bench. Some guys like the 15/30 better if they're running a vest in a carbine class...more surface area to pull the mag out of a pouch, not to mention more pouch options. As far as I know, until MidwestPX released his 15 round cut PMAG's, there weren't 15 round AR mags, i could be wrong about the, I've never done much looking for a 15 round mag, when 15/20s and 15/30s are readily available. Also, I've never had anyone question me when I use 15/20 or 15/30 at Cherry Ridge, Gun For Hire, and RTSP.

Never even had a second look at any range.

Until you try range 14

But if you want to do it on your own, buy some across the border in Pa. and buy a roll of duct tape and a blowtorch.

-step one

Slowly melt the bottom plate

-step two

Guesstimate where 15 rounds would stop, then stop melting it

- step three

Use as much duct tape as possible while it's still melting,

Voilaaaaa...... Permanent fix

I am not a lawyer of any sort, so seek legal advice.

Or

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15_136

And

http://www.colddeadhands.com/accessories.html

Some people just like the look of the 30 round standard capacity pmag, the whole banana look. Others say that the magpul mags are reliable and work better (I don't know how they determine that, exactly, especially since the mag is now modified).