Sign in to follow this  
Sparks450r

Stoeger shotguns?

I have a Stoeger and have had no issues

But others have had issues, my buddy just sent his back for the third time in a year and ended up getting a refund.

They have light strike issues and fireing pin problems

I say go in another direction

For a first timer, I would suggest something more versatile than a Stoeger O/U.  Consider a Remington or Mossberg pump, either of which can be used for home defense, hunting, clay shooting, etc.

If you find that you really like clays, then you won't likely go to a Stoeger anyway.

Here is what I know:  Good O/U shotguns are expensive for a reason.  It takes a lot of work to get both barrels registered perfectly.  This just isn't something that can be done even with lower labor costs in a country like Turkey where Stoger is made.  You may get one that is fine.  You may get a bad one.  This probably won't happen if you save your pennies and buy a $1,200 American or Italian shotgun.

Can't afford $1,200?  That's ok.  Why not go with a pump?

The whole O/U shotgun thing is a relatively new phenomenon.  It wasn't that long ago that you saw people shooting clays with Ithaca Pumps and doing just fine.  I think that an expensive O/U just makes you look really good when you miss.

In my opinion, get a Mossberg 500 Security / Field combo (or the equivalent in an Remington 870.  Get a skeet choke for clays and as an added bonus, you have the security barrel for social work.  You will save yourself about $100 and use that money for extra practice ammo.

{quote]The whole O/U shotgun thing is a relatively new phenomenon.

Some history:

Merkel was the first to produce an over & under shotgun in the late 1800's. Their current O/U line (latest is the 2000 series) is still in production today, and highly regarded. John M. Browning introduced the Superposed in 1931, Remington followed quickly with their Model 32 in 1932. Both American O/U's set highwater marks for popularity, quality and reliability and they are still in production today. (Remington doesn't make the 32 anymore, but someone who acquired the patent does.)  English maker's (Lancaster, Boss) followed the European stackbarrel craze and made O/U's well before before Browning. Small gunmaker's in the Liege area of Belgium also turned out O/U's in the pre-war years. Beretta introduced their first O/U, the S1, in 1933.

As for being a "new phenomenon," the O/U's absence or lack of popularity in the U.S. can be attributed to the war putting a crimp on imports (including the Browning) by 1939 and the fact that they cost more than a good pump or semi-auto at the time. (Who wanted a gun that had only two rounds available when you could have five or six?) Migratory game laws in the 30's on a Federal level changed magazine capacity to a limit of three for hunting which put all shotguns of different action types at an almost equal advantage. It was after the war that all those lovely O/U guns made their way to the U.S. in droves to be enjoyed. 

I would agree with others, buy a quality pump if your budget is tight and save your pennies for a good O/U as your interest in the clays game grows.

My Stoeger 3000 O/U is called A flyswatter at the trap range. But it still breaks 21 to 22 clays consistantly when we shoot. I like it for clays also.    Yes they have been known to have light strikes. No problem just A 2 minute fix.  Like mentioned above A pretty and expensive Trap or Clay goods looks really good when people miss the target.

Get what you want, but remember if you find by chance you dont continue to shoots clays you will always have A pretty gun in the safe or someone will be glad to give you A whole lot less then you spend, Too take it off your hands.

ok thanks guys i appreciate the knowledge. I have heard that the stoegers are hit or miss, was just trying to hear other people views. I have a 12 guage that i use for hunting (my gandfathers old rem.) so i am just looking for a dedicated clay gun and it looks like i am going to save up for a little while longer and purchase a quality shotgun whether it is used or new. thanks again for the insight