waizen

Visitor to NJ Carrying a SOG Trident

I live in Vermont, where I have freedom to own and carry a lot more things than NJ residents do, but since I grew up in NJ I travel there routinely to visit friends and family. I own a SOG Trident that I want to take along, However, the NJ knife carry laws state that you need to demonstrate a specific need in order to carry a knife...any knife as I understand it, despite size and shape. I'm going out on a limb here to say that personal defense is not a valid need down there, as far as knife carry goes, right?

What constitutes a 'need' down there? What do you folks normally say at a typical traffic stop? I don't intend to break any laws.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting arrested for carrying a pocketknife (that wasn't involved in some other incident) ?

Kid I went to school with got busted with a twin bladed knife. Cops took it and told him not to be a jackass, no trouble. One of my best friends almost got charges for having brass knuckles on his floor when he got pulled over. He was already enlisted in the marines and was able to hey them dropped

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I've heard of examples where the officer used the opportunity to conficate the knife, claiming there was no valid need to have it. I grew up in NJ and always had heard that the rule of thumb for legality was to place the blade flat across the palm of your hand, left to right. If it fit within your palm, then it was legal. Was that ever true? If so, when did it change? My Trident would be okay with that rule but I'm thinking I would have trouble nowadays.

I've heard of examples where the officer used the opportunity to conficate the knife, claiming there was no valid need to have it. I grew up in NJ and always had heard that the rule of thumb for legality was to place the blade flat across the palm of your hand, left to right. If it fit within your palm, then it was legal. Was that ever true? If so, when did it change? My Trident would be okay with that rule but I'm thinking I would have trouble nowadays.

I've heard that rule of thumb (or in this case, rule of palm) as well.  My research however has not validated any of that.  I carry a knife for cutting rope, opening boxes, trimming the odd thing here and there, occasionally as a screwdriver and pry bar though that's nowhere near the right tool for the job, also to remove splinters, clean finger nails, etc.  I think if a cop asks, you just spout off all the useful things you use it for with all seriousness.  IMO it would be wise NOT to mention self defense though.

What I've always done if I am stopped and the question arises...Do you have any weapons on you? I always answer no sir, but I do carry a pocket knife. If asked why, simply answer like the others said. It's a tool for cord cutting, wire, whatever.

By the way, don't reach for it. Simply point to the pocket if standing up.

I've never had it taken away and most of the time they don't even ask to see it. I do however live out in the woods and it's expected that we always have something kinda weird on us.

Just remember, it's a tool and not a weapon. It's not for self defense. You carry a knife to perform daily tasks like cutting boxes, opening letters, cutting fruit/food, etc. You also carry it incase you need to cut your seat belt in the event of a vehicle emergency. Blade length in NJ doesn't matter, as long as you have a justifiable reason why you're carrying a knife. Know how to properly interact with the police and you should be fine.

What I've always done if I am stopped and the question arises...Do you have any weapons on you? I always answer no sir, but I do carry a pocket knife. If asked why, simply answer like the others said. It's a tool for cord cutting, wire, whatever.

By the way, don't reach for it. Simply point to the pocket if standing up.

I've never had it taken away and most of the time they don't even ask to see it. I do however live out in the woods and it's expected that we always have something kinda weird on us.

Below is an excerpt from KnifeRights.org, regarding the "do you have any weapons" question.

"If asked whether or not there are any weapons in the car, immediately be aware that you are in danger of becoming a victim of an anti-knife arrest. This question may be handled in many ways. However, my personal response is to ask the officer why I am being asked that question. The answer to this question goes directly to the issue of probable cause. Why are you being asked whether you have weapons in the car? Is this simply a fishing expedition on behalf of the officer or is it because spent shell casings are in plain view on the front seat? If it is a fishing expedition, then that question is clearly unjustified. If there are spent shell casings on the seat, then regardless of your answer you are probably looking at having your vehicle and person searched. The key here is not to give any excuses for a vehicle search. (E.g., items left in plain view, expired motor vehicle licenses, odd behaviors, etc.) If you obey the law and act in a practical and intelligent manner, you should be able to avoid vehicle/person searches."