sagosto

Greetings From Oakland, NJ

On 2/17/2014 at 7:13 PM, Damjan said:

1. In practicality you wont be able to carry a gun in NJ or NY. For PA you can get a non resident permit that reciprocates with the state of PA ( like a Utah non resident carry permit). In NJ you can take pistols only from home to the range and back. PA is about the same but you can keep the gun in the car if you have a non resident Permit.

Kane, the criminal former AG of PA rescinded almost all reciprocity agreements before she was adjudicated, A lot of those have been reinstated, but using language that disqualifies non-residents (of the issuing state). Here is the relevant paragraph from the PA/UT reciprocity agreement...

The Commomvealth of Pennsylvania shall recognize all vaLid UT Licenses issued to legal residents of the State of Utah who are 21 years of age or older; the rights and privileges of UT License holders recognized under this Reciprocity Agreement shall be the same as, and not greater than, those rights and privileges granted to PA License holders under Pennsylvania law.

I'm not sure that there are any non-resident licenses that could be issued to residents of NJ that are valid in PA.

IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Kane, the criminal former AG of PA rescinded almost all reciprocity agreements before she was adjudicated, A lot of those have been reinstated, but using language that disqualifies non-residents (of the issuing state). Here is the relevant paragraph from the PA/UT reciprocity agreement...

The Commomvealth of Pennsylvania shall recognize all vaLid UT Licenses issued to legal residents of the State of Utah who are 21 years of age or older; the rights and privileges of UT License holders recognized under this Reciprocity Agreement shall be the same as, and not greater than, those rights and privileges granted to PA License holders under Pennsylvania law.

I'm not sure that there are any non-resident licenses that could be issued to residents of NJ that are valid in PA.

IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I want to also emphasize what Bob has stated.   To my knowledge there are no non-resident carry permits that are recognized by PA.  A few years back they did recognize a few such as Texas Non-resident which I had obtained while in Texas on a business trip.   I then conceal carried in PA for exactly ONE glorious day before they stopped recognizing them.  My taste of freedom was wonderful but short lived. 

A few addl thoughts:

-recommend you and your wife rent a firearm before you make a purchase decision.  In particular,  recoil from a 12 guage is very significant.   My wife could never shoot one(well maybe once, lol).  An AR-15 platform, may be superior and more controllable depending in the use case.  Also aiming proficiency is just as important with a shotgun. Remember, there is a lawyer attached to every bullet/pellet you shoot.

-I do not recommend the closet and trigger lock idea.   There  are a number of safes available for long guns that would provide more secure storage with the ability to access it reasonably quickly. 

And yes, welcome!!!

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. As others have noted, be sure to secure your shotgun in a place where it will be readily accessible in the event it is ever needed. In addition to that, store it with a full magazine tube (preferably Federal Flight Control Low Recoil 00 buckshot) and an empty chamber, with the safety on.  That will prevent it from accidentally discharging if it is dropped, and in the worst case that it is ever accessed by young hands, they would need to figure out how to chamber a round and disengage the safety before they could do any damage. 

2. Take a class on shotgun basics.  Here's a good one that's not far from you:

https://gunforhire.com/academy/gun-for-hire-basic-shotgun/

On 7/6/2020 at 11:04 PM, sagosto said:

The concern was a gun in the house and 2 young children but we agreed to get a shotgun that hopefully will never be used except for the rare range visit. The sole purpose will be home protection.

I have my FPIC and looking to make a purchase. A family friend (ex-NYPD) said to check out Reloaderz in Wayne, NJ for either 590 or 870 with some buckshot. 

Pump action shotguns are one of the most difficult weapons to master for home defense, especially for inexperience shooters and/or females: Heavy, unwieldily indoors, massive recoil, easy to short stroke, limited capacity- just to name a few drawbacks.

I would seriously consider a 9mm striker fired handgun, that you and your wife could easily handle if necessary.

For safety it can be stored loaded but without a round in the chamber, (or unloaded with a magazine nearby, can be put into action in seconds). 

The Smith & Wesson SD9VE is a good choice with a heavy self defense long pull trigger.  

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw-sd9-ve-low-capacity