EWC88

Fish aquariums

Anyone here have aquariums? This is another hobby/enjoyment I have and wanted to see if anyone else is in it. I'm in the sewell area and was also going see if anyone knows of any good fish stores around they recommend? I go often to aquarium center, but sometimes I'm not very satisfied over there. I know in Levittown PA they have a huge store called The Hidden Reef that is impressive but didn't know if there is anything like that but closer.

Just to list what I have:

125g, 75g, 37g, and 15g. Will soon be getting a 300g stock tank to put my turtles in which will then allow me to reseal/ re-do my 125g. Will also be slowly building my 37g reef tank soon when school is over this semester.

I have a red-eared slider that needs a new home if you're interested. He's outgrowing the largest tank we can fit in our house and we want him to go to a good home, not someplace that he will be neglected. We've had him for about 6 years but need to find him a new place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnawig- I'll think about it, I'll see what room I have first.

CMJeepster- hope they are babies because that tank is way to small for 3! I've done a lot if research when I got my turtles so I'm a turtle pro now (dorky I know) so I don't mean to come off rude by letting you know about the tank size.

i used to be into the freshwater aquariums..  ive had everything from arrowanas to pike cichlids to gars to oscars to regular african cichlids to community fish (tetras, etc) over the 20 years i had tanks..  not all at the same time mind you..  still have my 55gal tank set up, but it has no fish in it anymore, just water and stuff in the tank (gravel, wood, etc)..  im sorta in the same way Norseman is..  just got tired of taking care of them all the time and having to replace the ones that died (and they all invariably die in a short period of time, just the nature of fish, especially smaller freshwater ones)..   my longest living fish was a white cloud mountain minnow and it lasted over 3 years...  hard to maintain proper water when you have well water though, and thats another reason i sorta stopped...

i know there was a decent store in Neptune on route 35 (Tropiquarium), but thats a bit far for you...

I have a 55 gallon with a red ear slider as well and he probably has a year or 2 left in that tank. We got him about 7 years ago when he was donated to my wifes classroom as a baby... come summer time no one wanted to deal with it so we ended up bringing it home then the next year she got moved to a different classroom and we ended up having it ever since... when he outgrows the 55 not sure what we will do with him. I do live right next to a small pond with other turtles but I would be afriad he would not be able to fend for itself.

I have a 55 gallon with a red ear slider as well and he probably has a year or 2 left in that tank. We got him about 7 years ago when he was donated to my wifes classroom as a baby... come summer time no one wanted to deal with it so we ended up bringing it home then the next year she got moved to a different classroom and we ended up having it ever since... when he outgrows the 55 not sure what we will do with him. I do live right next to a small pond with other turtles but I would be afriad he would not be able to fend for itself.

If it is a male turtle, the biggest tank you would need is 90g when full growth. You could go bigger but not smaller. Just make sure he has a good basking spot to get fully dry on.

If you do release him in pond a couple things could happen; 1) death for him as he never hibernated, 2) he can also contaminate the pond because it humans have owned it (I know sounds corny but could happen), 3) death for him again but by predators (racoons/birds/cats) also sick humans and cars. He will explore and since not familiar will most likely end up leaving area.

Join aquarium advice.com forum ( I'm an admin). Friendly folks and great advice for fresh and marine and turtles too. I haven't had a few tank in many years. My 125 marine tank got wiped during Sandy and I'm just getting ready to set it up again (work interferes with my hobby time).

If you want help/advice on the 37g shoot me a pm. I have a bit of spare equipment.

We have a small reef setup. 12g nano in the house. Not too bad with maintenence. It's a bad addiction...corals..I blame George @ Plumsted Arms. I saw his tank and was bitten...

Also an 1800g koi pond out back. That requires a bit more time!

Try fish factory in bristol. Not the prettiest of places, but decent inventory. They also opened an outlet store down the road.

There are also a few private coral sellers in nj. Ultimate coral in Jackson is one of the best.

Join a local forum too. There are always good sources for info.

Ron

I love fish, but we always had well water that was too hard and full of metals/minerals, so keeping fish was a difficult PITA.  If I ever get into it again it'll be small-scale:  a 5-gal tank with a betta and perhaps a couple of small low-maintenance tankmates.  Bettas are awesome when they have room to cruise around.

I had a 110 gallon full of killers. I had arrowanas, alligator gars, wolf fish, peacock bass, jack Dempsey's, green terrors, tiger shovel nose, and my monster.... The Asian red tail catfish. They were all in the tank together. They would all fight a bit, but no one died or got seriously hurt. The red tail was just this little guy and would only come out at night. Then... Fish started to disappear. Where did the green terror go? Huh, jack is gone. At night I would hear all kinds of splashing and thuds against the tank. The Asian red tail ate just about everyone. The tiger shovel nose was too big and tough to eat, and the gar was too big to eat. I woke up one night and the Asian was slamming the gar against the glass. He couldn't swallow him, so he was gonna beat him to death. I gave the gar and shovel nose away the next day.

I love fish, but we always had well water that was too hard and full of metals/minerals, so keeping fish was a difficult PITA.  If I ever get into it again it'll be small-scale:  a 5-gal tank with a betta and perhaps a couple of small low-maintenance tankmates.  Bettas are awesome when they have room to cruise around.

African cichlids love that water.

I have a 55-gallon that used to be stocked with community fish.  Then I made the mistake of adding a pair of red Parrots.  They were not that large at first, but other fish kept vanishing.  I figured the mouth of the parrots wasn't large enough to swallow a like-sized fish, but there can't be any other reason they'd vanish, unless they grew arms and climbed out of the tank.

Then I tried live plants, and they ate all of those as well.  And then the grow light encouraged a mass of tough algae.  Now it is down to just one remaining Parrot (who is huge now).  Last time I cleaned the tank, a small Convict appeared out of the rocks.  Hadn't seen him for months.  So until the big guy passes, I'm not investing in any other stock.

On a side note, I bought a nice light setup from Marineland and I really like it.  Sleek design, day and night LED settings, and inexpensive.  Great customer service to boot.

I Have a 60gal FOLR tank and am in the process of curing rock and prepping a 260gal Display with 100gal sump/Refg for my family room. I use to get a lot of great info from Reefanctuary.com about the Saltwater hobby. As for shops.. when I was up in north jersey I use to go to Tropaquarium. Nice selection of fish but the dry goods are expensive. After moving to south jersey I go to Aquarium center or locally i'll go to New world pet center.

If you are closer to the PA side of things, have you gone to "That fish place". its out in the Lancaster area but makes for a nice trip. if you are married or have a GF you can mask your trip by saying lets go to this fish store and while we are out there we can go to the outlets! ;) Isacs's is next door so you can get a pretty good sandwich while you are there too.