hiker88

Car windshield replacement shop

Is there a shop in Central Jersey that you guys can recommend? I noticed a crack on the corner of my windshield last night and its size is beyond repair. 

I'm  just researching options before I go the regular route of scheduling a visit by the Safelite guy.

Let me know. Thank you in advance!

I use "Du Rite Auto glass" on Rt 18 in East Brunswick 732 257 9700. Just recently they replaced my VW's rear hatch glass and was way cheaper than the national brands,did a good,quick, clean job and gave me an additional discount for cash.The PEPs and smaller garages do a lot of business with them.

Thanks Duppie! That place is about 5 minutes away from me. I'll give them a visit tomorrow.

Get some quotes and warranties from their competition and have that available before you call them to see how long it will take to get your glass and they will replace it in your drive way for no additional cost. They do need easy access to an outlet for clean up.

Good Luck.

I will never use or recommend Safelite again.  Their drug addict of an employee caused over $1900 in damage to my car.  Came to replace the windshield and it was below freezing out.  I ran an extension cord outside for him to use.  Offered him something hot to drink.  He put the new windshield in crooked(wasn't sealed in numerous spots), looked like he used sandpaper on the two A pillars and roof line(scratched down to the bare metal in some spots), left all of the garbage all over my interior,  and left before I could even inspect the work. Left the receipt under my windshield wiper.

The local safelite manager and owner came to my house and seemed very annoyed.  They told me to take the car to three body shops and get estimates.  I took it around, and the body shops could not believe that a simple windshield replacement by an otherwise reputable company caused so much damage. 

After finally getting safelite to commit to fixing their shotty work, I took it to the cheapest body shop they picked, and got a rental car on their dime. 

It took a little bit over a week, where they had to remove the windshield, sand, paint, clear coat, and blend the roof line, the pillars and the hood.  They then replaced the windshield with a new one, and detailed the car since the safelite left trash all over the interior.  I had bits of weather stripping in the back seat.  When I went to pick the car up, the paint line was very obvious.  They never blended it in with the existing paint.  So I had to wait another two days while they worked on that.

The body shop also stole my change out of my cup holder(couldn't have been more then a couple of dollars, but stealing is stealing-doesn't matter if it's a dollar or a thousand dollars, all the same in my book). 

So...I'll never recommend Safelite of Absecon, NJ, or Marmora Auto Body in Marmora. 

Safelite quoted me $400 for an office or home service... $ 330 for a shop visit in the Monmouth Jct location. 

The cheapest quote by far is A1 glass in Monroe at $ 230. Du-rite in Rt 18 East Brunswick is at $ 245.

I'm guessing Safelite is more expensive because they need to pay all those ads on TV and radio. ;) I'm going to Du-rite tomorrow morning since it's the most convenient location for me. I always prefer to work with local businesses. 

Plode, sorry to hear about your poor experience with Safelite.  

I use whoever StateFarm suggests as if they were not good they would not be on their approved list.  I carry zero deductible on glass, so I could care less what the cost is.  I just have them come to where the car is when it is convenient, don't even have to be there.  My wife left her car at a train station one day with a cracked windshield and when she got home that night it had been fixed. 

I use whoever StateFarm suggests as if they were not good they would not be on their approved list.  I carry zero deductible on glass, so I could care less what the cost is.  I just have them come to where the car is when it is convenient, don't even have to be there.  My wife left her car at a train station one day with a cracked windshield and when she got home that night it had been fixed. 

.....and this helps the OP how?

Well translating, you can call your insurance company and ask them who is approved windshield replacement service in your area. 

That, plus its a good idea to look at insurance costs and adjust where it makes sense to not have such high deductibles for comprehensive and glass.  I did that analysis and it was much cheaper to pay just a few bucks more each six months and get this stuff for free.  Even if you don't drop it to zero explore making it something like $100, you would be surprised that it may not be that costly to do this.

Well translating, you can call your insurance company and ask them who is approved windshield replacement service in your area. 

I see and applicable if the policy has a glass rider with no deductible.....unfortunately most of us prefer not to pay the premium for that feature so like the OP I shop around for the least expensive with the best warranty as I believe most will.

Not to Hijack...any similar suggestions for North Jersey?   Cold weather after a rock did in my windshield and Safelite wants just over $400.

check out A-1 Autoglass... http://www.a1glass.net/home.nxg

I have no experience with them but got a quote using their website. 

Not to Hijack...any similar suggestions for North Jersey?   Cold weather after a rock did in my windshield and Safelite wants just over $400.

American Mobile Glass in Newfoundland just did mine for a Ford Escape.  It was about 250.00 and they replaced it in about an hour at my house.  He did a good job.  He removes the sticker off the old glass and glues it on the new.  It's not perfect, but looks ok.

http://www.amgglass.com/contact-us/

sheesh, about half the price of Safelite.

That seems to be the trend. I called for a quote and even after I told the representative that her quote was higher if I brought my vehicle in and close to double for a home install she insisted that their competition uses lesser quality glass,did not install properly,lacked the proper heating elements and /or did not offer the same warranty. Before I pulled the trigger with Du Rite I made sure that all those concerns were addressed and remain quite satisfied with my choice so my guess is that Safelite remains profitable with the auspices of the insurance industry,panicked housewives and the chronically lazy.

Btw, how do they handle the inspection sticker?

After they replaced mine twice, I got the car back with no sticker.  I asked the body shop, and they told me "must have accidentally went into the trash, go run it through inspection, we can't give you a sticker". 

I don't remember when it was supposed to be inspected, but I haven't bothered to run it through, and haven't had any issues(with cops).   

check out A-1 Autoglass... http://www.a1glass.net/home.nxg

I have no experience with them but got a quote using their website. 

I have used these guys 4x, all in different vehicles and they come to you where ever your car is.

I have had no issues and found them very reasonable , 2x winshields, 1x side window, and 1x rear window in my pickup

After going through 4...yes FOUR....KAG windshields in my 2005 Santa Fe (Hey...don't judge, it's what I could afford), the body shop replaced it last time (after the OCT 2011 snow dropped a tree limb on  it) with an FY (chinese) windshield.  The Korean glass would crack, chip and/or spider with just the slightest hit (one was a pebble kicked up, another was snow from a truck, the other two had no apparent cause).  Knock on wood, this one has not caused any trouble in over 2 years.  In those 2 years, I have been in a slight fender (bumper?) bender with another car and my daughter rear-ended a Grand Marquis and did $3700 damage to my car...but the windshield didn't even crack.

I don't know who did the actual replacement or where the glass came from but I have read that Safelite often uses the FY windshields for foreign cars.  Maybe, sometimes cheaper isn't better.

I have used these guys 4x, all in different vehicles and they come to you where ever your car is.

I have had no issues and found them very reasonable , 2x winshields, 1x side window, and 1x rear window in my pickup

What are you doing, shooting your windows out? :lol:

lol,

The back window of my pickup was broke by a friend throwing scrap metal into bed while we were out scrapping

Windshield of my truck was hit by rock from a dumptruck

Windshield of car was cracked by sisters boyfriend being stupid and the side window was broke from a robbery.

Quality Auto Glass in South Plainfield.  You won't pay a penny more than $275 and they have a coupon usually on their website.  You can go to them or they will come to you.  Going there always seems to be faster.  They are the direct supplier for many auto manufactures who have their cars damaged while sitting on dealer lots.  My SUV was $220 and it has "Made in America" on it.