Shoot!

My first rifle... Savage 22LR

Hello

I'm pretty sure I'm ready for my first rifle (it's going to be my first gun as well).  After some research I think I'm thinking the Savage Mark II 22LR would suit my needs perfectly.  I'm considering a Savage 220 for hunting later in the year so I'm thinking a bolt action rifle from the same manufacturer might be a nice practice fire arm which some cheaper (albeit hard to come by) ammo.  Now here's the hitch.  The Mark II comes in so confusing number of configurations, nearly 20 of them in fact.  I'm thinking of going with a scope instead of iron peeps.

I'm thinking since I'm going with the "el cheapo" rifle I should ignore getting stainless steel and just get a blued barrel and a synthetic stock.  So I'm guessing this is the right one to go with Savage Mark II F.

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Whatever you decide, congratulations on you first rifle and gun!  :hunter:

Getting a 22lr for practice is a great idea.  For Savage, the Mark II will help you decide if you like the AccuTrigger.  Not everyone who tried it was sold.

Have you considered the Savage Mark II FV?  The bull barrel bumps the weight to 6lbs.  It won't match the 7.5lbs and 45" of the 220, but gets a bit closer.  Rifles get real heavy in the standing position.

I'm totally confused on what I should be buying to be honest but I'll have a look at the FV. I'm totally guessing here with the selection of the F.

My other 22 options were the Ruger 10/22, their American Rimfire, or the CZ 455. I eliminated the 10/22 because it's a semi and I thought a bolt action might be better for practicing. The CZ is pretty expensive for a 22. The RAR doesn't seem like a bad option though. Total confusion.

Savage rifles are nice guns - I have the 10FCP-K and a 93R17TR (big brother of the Mark II), and both are capable of better accuracy than I am. 

Back when I bought my first .22 rifle, I got a Marlin XT-22.  I love the rifle, but I do wish I'd waited instead of rushing in.  (If I were to do it again, I'd go Savage Mark II heavy barrel of some sort, or at least the XT-22 with a heavy barrel.)  I'm a big fan of heavy barrels.  You may find that in the future, you wish you'd gotten a heavy barrel, or maybe prefer the stainless barrel, or like the wood stock better.

Whatever Mark II you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  Just give some thought to features that may not matter to you now that you might change your mind about in the future.

I bought the Mark II G with wood stock, added a Cabelas 2-7 scope later, and it shoots reliably and accurately out to 100 yards (minute of tennis ball) with Remington Golden Bullets.

I will say that the gun feels a bit on the small side and the wood is far from luxurious, but it's a great plinker.

If you are anywhere near Hackettstown you're welcome to take mine out for a spin.

You needn't be anxious about picking the perfect choice: it is your first rifle, not your last.  First purchase is a down payment for lessons to inform future purchases.

I have a 10/22, a few CZs, and a Savage.  They are all great: I think you'll be happy whatever you pick.

My default "first-rifle" recommendation is the Appleseed Liberty Training Rifle, which is a cheap 10/22 with Tech Sights (10/22's factory sights are rubbish) and GI sling.  Inexpensive, accurate.  A great learning platform, and a fun rifle you'll return to again and again in years to come.  But not appropriate if your end goal is the 220.

So rookie question but why the heavy barrel? 

This is a departure from your stated goal of hunting.  It is reflects the Townsend Whelen quote, "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

22lr's recoil doesn't necessarily need a heavy barrel.  The same combustion that shoots the projectile also recoils the rifle.  A heavy barrel keeps the rifle more steady for the few milliseconds while the 40g lead travels down the barrel.

As a basis of comparison, the 22lrs I use at 100 yards are 25" barrels and a little under 11lbs.  I shoot them bench and prone: they are really heavy for standing.  So if your goal is trekking a few miles in the woods, 7 pounds is better than 11.

Also does the .5 lb between the F and FV make a significant difference?

The Mark II F 22lr is 5 pounds, 17HM2 is 5.5 pounds, and FV is 6pounds.  The F and FV stock roughly matches the 220.

They have a TR at 7.5lb and 40".

One way to distinguish rifles is by their stock.  You see it fairly dramatically with the Ruger 10/22: the comb is angled severely, and ends at a butt that is far below the barrel.  An angled stock generally indicates a rifle intended in for an upright position, such as standing or kneeling, because laying in prone the shoulder is closer to the head.  A severely angled stock, like the 10/22, is intended for open sights, because at proper cheek weld the lower comb puts your eyes along the barrel, and open sights sit lower along the barrel than scopes in rings.

The TR and FCP all share similar stocks features.  Recessed thumb rest, straight comb leading to a higher butt.  These are more for prone or target shooting, and can feel heavy and slow shooting in standing and kneeling.  If your end-goal is the 10FCP-K or 93R17TR, then Mark II TR would be a great training platform.

A notable not-yet-mentioned in the 22lrs is the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22.  Great out-of-the-box.  I can't think of a semi-auto rifle easier to clean.  Even if you never get an AR-15, still a great rifle to feel the difference between an AR other semi-auto platforms.

In the end, it is a lot of personal preference.

Hello

I'm pretty sure I'm ready for my first rifle (it's going to be my first gun as well).  After some research I think I'm thinking the Savage Mark II 22LR would suit my needs perfectly.  I'm considering a Savage 220 for hunting later in the year so I'm thinking a bolt action rifle from the same manufacturer might be a nice practice fire arm which some cheaper (albeit hard to come by) ammo.  Now here's the hitch.  The Mark II comes in so confusing number of configurations, nearly 20 of them in fact.  I'm thinking of going with a scope instead of iron peeps.

I'm thinking since I'm going with the "el cheapo" rifle I should ignore getting stainless steel and just get a blued barrel and a synthetic stock.  So I'm guessing this is the right one to go with Savage Mark II F.

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Sam - The Savage you chose is a very excellent and reasonable first rifle.

It's more accurate than you and I are.

Economical to purchase and shoot.

Remember it is blue and not stainless so it will require a little extra care (but that's fun too)

I would shoot the iron sights until you master them, I start all new shooters on irons.

Being a magazine fed bolt action you will realize the value of each shot and realize a quick second shot is compensation for an initial miss.

You'll make every shot count.

As a trainer for the "220" sight picture and trigger control and your biggest commonalities.   BTW ammo for your "220" you can expect to cost $2-3 a trigger pull.

If you need any help I'm a PM away.

"Is there any newbie starting guides with all this info neatly packaged?"

Sometimes even newbie guides can be overwhelming.   For $200, buy a Mark II or 10/22, shoot it, figure out what YOU like/dislike, then use that to help guide your decision on the next gun.   That's better than plunking down $500+ on what someone else likes but doesn't work for you.

There's a reason most of us own multiple guns.   No one single gun will be perfect for all applications.   While a Mark II of any flavor may not be the best gun for some specific task, chances are it will not be a "bad" gun (i.e. unreliable, broken, etc.).   This is why they make big gun cabinets!

Is there any newbie starting guides with all this info neatly packaged?

I see your RimfireCentral thread.  The information is scattered, but those manufacturer-specific sub-forums are better than any guide.

But you are right: researching and picking the rifle is the fun part.  Finding the ammo to feed it, later, not so much.   :xD: 

Yep that's me. I think I've got my mind set on the FV. The price is right and it seems like at worst I replace the stock with a Boyd's. I'm going to stick some tech sights on it and pray for some ammo to practice.

Next up is joining some of the gents on this forum at Clinton WMA to try out some shotguns!!!

Prior to going to a scope, I would suggest you start with irons and perhaps, if you are so inclined, upgrade to a peep sight.  I have several scopes and yet I am lusting after a peep but I haven't yet decided which rifle I want to equip with this "antiquated technology". 

The Savage is a nice economical rifle.  The CZ line tends to be more expensive, some will say with better build quality, I'm not sure I agree or disagree.

I have a Savage Mark II BTV which comes with the Boyd's thumbhole stock and the heavy barrel, it's quite nice but it's not for lugging through the woods as it gets quite heavy.

Also, if you fill in your location information (even if vague like North West NJ) it helps the rest of the respondents determine whether they would be easily able to help you by letting you shoot a few different rifles.  None of the models you mention above is particularly "unusual", it's a good bet that there's someone in each corner of the state, on this forum, with at least some of the rifle models you mention who would let you test drive their stuff.

Prior to going to a scope, I would suggest you start with irons and perhaps, if you are so inclined, upgrade to a peep sight.  I have several scopes and yet I am lusting after a peep but I haven't yet decided which rifle I want to equip with this "antiquated technology". 

The Savage is a nice economical rifle.  The CZ line tends to be more expensive, some will say with better build quality, I'm not sure I agree or disagree.

I have a Savage Mark II BTV which comes with the Boyd's thumbhole stock and the heavy barrel, it's quite nice but it's not for lugging through the woods as it gets quite heavy.

Also, if you fill in your location information (even if vague like North West NJ) it helps the rest of the respondents determine whether they would be easily able to help you by letting you shoot a few different rifles.  None of the models you mention above is particularly "unusual", it's a good bet that there's someone in each corner of the state, on this forum, with at least some of the rifle models you mention who would let you test drive their stuff.

+1 on the aperture sights.  Quicker than a scope in most cases, rugged and, provided your corrected eyesight is good, very accurate.

Savage 22lr was my first rifle and I think its a great choice. I've since put a cheap scope on it and it shoots any thing. I go to EFGA in PA on any descent weekend. I'm actually going up today after lunch but if you would like to try it out pm me and I'll meet you there guest you in. you can shoot it to see how you like it. My opinion at the time was it was not going to break the bank if I didn't like it, I chose the model with the wood stock only because I'm a fan of wood no other good reason and I'm glad I did after feeling the synthetic stock. Easton has a few different ranges and you can try it how ever you would like.

John

Sorry for the delayed reply gents.  Had some family from the West Coast staying at our house for the weekend.

Ok, what's your status with regards to FPID card, and your availability?  I can meet at Woodland Park range and can scratch some of those "itches" you have so you can get a feel prior to buying.

My FID card is valid (I'm assuming that's the same as a FPID).  I work rather late but let me see what's on the agenda for this coming week/weekend and I'll PM you.

Shoot.

I sent you a PM.

C

Replied.