Long post but....here is a FB post by a good friend of mine (also the warped but highly creative mind that created "The Blair Witch Project") about his pothole experience this past weekend in PA.

Pot who? Hole what?!

So I hit the mother of all potholes this evening in PA, destroying at least 2 wheels, 2 tires, both axles, the shocks and the undercarriage.

BAAAAAM! BAAAAM!

Cursing my brains out, I call Lisa who is able to calm me down as I then contact AAA. Within minutes, another car pulls ahead in front me, screeches to a halt, the driver pops out and proceeds to curse so much I'm mute in comparison.

BAAAAAM!

He's hit the same pothole as I, and has blown his tires as well. And his are lowriders; expensive and sensitive to any pothole, and here he hit a major one.

I get the donut wheel ready, raise my car to replace the wheel, which makes no sense when I realize considering my back wheel is toast as well. But that doesn't matter within itself, in that my front wheel is so damaged that it won't come off the car. It is no longer round, it is now shaped like an egg.

AAA advises they cannot send a towtruck, all resources are exhausted tonight in... potholes, throughout the area. But if I call a private tow, I am to send them the invoice to be reimbursed.

Time then to call the police. We're going to need a paper trail. Time to call my neighbor to come and fetch me off this road and my soon-to-be abandoned car.

My friend arrives, he attempts to also remove the wheel, if only for the sake to know we can.

...but we can't.

We now see the police coming our way.

BAAAM!

The police car hits the same pothole, and blows out their tire. He gets out, looks at his patrol car (and it's an suv), looks at my car, and looks at the blown car ahead of mine (the driver still f'ing bombs as he tries to replace his wheel).

"The state's gonna eat this one. 'Not good, not good at all," the officer exclaims, in a rather embarrassed expression.

The towtruck arrives.

BAAAAM!

The towtruck hits, yes you got it....

...the same pothole.

The rest is history.

Reports have been filed, police towtrucks have gotten us all out. My car is somewhere in PA that I will fetch when I can. It may be totaled, it may not be. But it's going to be damn expensive. The mechanic took one look and muttered nothing but "damn dude, this is toast."

Allstate has been notified. Allstate are rock-stars and are covering everything...

...in between the laughter of the insanity of something that would make for brilliant Tosh.0 material had this been filmed. And I say laughter, because after all the hysteria, and all the f-bombs dropped, by the time I had the very kind agent on the phone, I simply broke down in hysterics as to just how insane the event was.

...and we laughed our asses off. My compliments and appreciation to the awesome police officer, as well as to the poor bastard who also lost a wheel, the towruck driver who also took the pothole dip of winter's acne, to my amazing neighbor and friend who rescued me, of course to Lisa who put up with my complete and utter meltdown when I called her. And to the Allstate agent who got the most bizarre claim in her career.

I have never seen anything like this in NJ in my entire life. (I once drove on a worse road in Puerto Rico which I think had served as an artillery target, but that is the only thing approaching this.)

I have such deep craters in front of my place I am tempted to throw the homeonwers association a bone and get some stone dust pack and a tamper to fill them until spring.

One of our county wide newspaper has a anonymous editorial section called the "Spout Off".  I read one the other day that someone claimed while riding his/her motorcycle he/she hit some pot holes and nearly crashed because of them, adding that someone is going to be hurt or killed if the road is left like it is. 

I've since been down the particular road in a truck, and I have to say...the road is pretty much crumbling apart.  I would not want to ride my motorcycle down it for fear I might disappear into one of the pot holes and never be heard from again.  

The county is to blame as the road was never maintained in the past years.  They filled some of the large potholes about 80 times over(patches on top of patches), but they never bothered with the thousands of cracks all over the road, which have now turned into potholes this year. 

I've seen a huge increase in the number of massive, DEEP potholes this winter....many of them half-lane wide or worse...meaning you are going to have to go into the opposite lane, stop in the road if there's oncoming traffic, or if you're brave/dumb/oblivious, ride through it...

I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over for "drunk driving" this winter for all the swerving I'm doing all over the road.  I am constantly weaving all over my lane (and often into other lanes as needed) to avoid the never-ending attack on my tires, rims, and suspension.  I'm amazed that the people ahead of or behind me often don't even avoid the craters potholes, and watching their cars rattle and shake from hitting them all makes me cringe...

I'm really glad that I decided to stick with 16" rims for my winter tires, and not go to 17s for winter and 18s for summer...that little bit of extra rubber seems to help...

My father got 3 blow outs in the last 1 1/2 months. The last one was last week in Fairfield in 46 E as he was calling me to help him. He noticed another car with the same problem and they also had 2 blowouts. The other people with the same type of car called roadside assistance and he took car of all 4 tires.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

this has been one of the worst prolonged winters and periods of snow/ice we've had in quite a while..  these periods of snow and then melting (either temp or salt) and then more snow/ice and then more salt/warmer temps, etc, etc, etc. really has a tendency to dig up roads..  plows going over it, cars grinding salt into it, etc..  they have literally been filling in potholes nonstop for weeks now, but more are popping up each day...  will be a while before they get to all of them..

Magnawing's repost from FB wins the thread.   Now I don't feel so bad about having to replace a nearly new Michelin on Friday.  At least my rim wasn't damaged.

I'm really dreading spring.  I live on one of several quarter-mile long paved & named streets in my town that the town somehow decided aren't town streets.   They don't pave them.  They don't patch them.  They don't plow them.*  The past few years, the neighbors and I have bought 2000 to 2500 lbs of bagged asphalt patch every spring and patched the street on our own.   I'll bet this spring it takes over 6000 lbs to repair the damage.

*The town does, however, charge all of us the same stupid-high property tax rate.

Magnawing's repost from FB wins the thread.  

As I said...Dan (the guy who wrote that) is the same guy who created "Blair Witch" among several other films of the same genre.  He's also been a writer and producer for "Family Guy" and has been friends with Alex Borstein (Lois Griffin) and Will Sasso (Curly in the 3 Stooges movie) since their MadTV days.  His writing is terrific and he can put you right there with him just by writing about it.   If you like jazz music, you can also catch him semi-regularly as a DJ on WBGO.

this has been one of the worst prolonged winters and periods of snow/ice we've had in quite a while..  these periods of snow and then melting (either temp or salt) and then more snow/ice and then more salt/warmer temps, etc, etc, etc. really has a tendency to dig up roads..  plows going over it, cars grinding salt into it, etc..  they have literally been filling in potholes nonstop for weeks now, but more are popping up each day...  will be a while before they get to all of them..

Pretty much, it has little to do with previous road conditions. Massive pot holes on roads that were just re-paved a year or 2 ago...

We have been in such a deep freeze for so long that it is inevitable. All it takes is one warm day followed by a couple freezing days to really chew up a road.. this week is sure to open up the roads even more.

Potholes are horrible like everyone is saying. I have 22" rims on my truck so if am EXTRA careful (although the rims are crap, not trying get brand new till summer). At night I drive slow to make sure I see the potholes, and if a cop was behind me you'd think I was drunk because I swerve and dodge each hole I see. Thankfully I'm a truck so once in awhile a patch a grass is my road if its bad, which I only see that out where my girlfriends parents live.

i live in union, 07083

here is Union Department of Public works facebook post on Feb. 22, 2014

Status update.. Our pothole refill is completed for today saturday,Feb 22, 2014....a total of 356 potholes were filled.

really??? i dont see sh!t filled, Rt. 22 is getting worst. Some clown was in front of me at 5:50 am this morning and he actually slowed down to 15mph on 45MPH speed limit almost making me slam him/her from behind, just to go over slowly over a pot hole.

Specially driving thru rt 22, if you are familiar with the area, then you would know how I exactly feel.

Speaking about Rd 22 somewhere between Fanwood and Greenbrook. I hit a pothole with my triaxle trailer loaded with my ex cavator. I pulled into one of my buddy's construction yard to check the tire added a little air walk about 20 feet away and it blows out. There go a $420 Michelin tire and about 3 extra hr of time unloading the excavator finding a tire shop with a tire and a place to pull a triaxle truck and triaxle trailer into to change it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Long post but....here is a FB post by a good friend of mine (also the warped but highly creative mind that created "The Blair Witch Project") about his pothole experience this past weekend in PA.

Pot who? Hole what?!

So I hit the mother of all potholes this evening in PA, destroying at least 2 wheels, 2 tires, both axles, the shocks and the undercarriage.

BAAAAAM! BAAAAM!

Cursing my brains out, I call Lisa who is able to calm me down as I then contact AAA. Within minutes, another car pulls ahead in front me, screeches to a halt, the driver pops out and proceeds to curse so much I'm mute in comparison.

BAAAAAM!

He's hit the same pothole as I, and has blown his tires as well. And his are lowriders; expensive and sensitive to any pothole, and here he hit a major one.

I get the donut wheel ready, raise my car to replace the wheel, which makes no sense when I realize considering my back wheel is toast as well. But that doesn't matter within itself, in that my front wheel is so damaged that it won't come off the car. It is no longer round, it is now shaped like an egg.

AAA advises they cannot send a towtruck, all resources are exhausted tonight in... potholes, throughout the area. But if I call a private tow, I am to send them the invoice to be reimbursed.

Time then to call the police. We're going to need a paper trail. Time to call my neighbor to come and fetch me off this road and my soon-to-be abandoned car.

My friend arrives, he attempts to also remove the wheel, if only for the sake to know we can.

...but we can't.

We now see the police coming our way.

BAAAM!

The police car hits the same pothole, and blows out their tire. He gets out, looks at his patrol car (and it's an suv), looks at my car, and looks at the blown car ahead of mine (the driver still f'ing bombs as he tries to replace his wheel).

"The state's gonna eat this one. 'Not good, not good at all," the officer exclaims, in a rather embarrassed expression.

The towtruck arrives.

BAAAAM!

The towtruck hits, yes you got it....

...the same pothole.

The rest is history.

Reports have been filed, police towtrucks have gotten us all out. My car is somewhere in PA that I will fetch when I can. It may be totaled, it may not be. But it's going to be damn expensive. The mechanic took one look and muttered nothing but "damn dude, this is toast."

Allstate has been notified. Allstate are rock-stars and are covering everything...

...in between the laughter of the insanity of something that would make for brilliant Tosh.0 material had this been filmed. And I say laughter, because after all the hysteria, and all the f-bombs dropped, by the time I had the very kind agent on the phone, I simply broke down in hysterics as to just how insane the event was.

...and we laughed our asses off. My compliments and appreciation to the awesome police officer, as well as to the poor bastard who also lost a wheel, the towruck driver who also took the pothole dip of winter's acne, to my amazing neighbor and friend who rescued me, of course to Lisa who put up with my complete and utter meltdown when I called her. And to the Allstate agent who got the most bizarre claim in her career.

Good story! Tell your buddy I want my $8.00 back from that movie! maybe $16.00 I don't remember if I brought a date with me its been over a decade...:D

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I think some of these pothole issues are also that NJ does not know how to even build a proper road with appropriate foundation and drainage.. Yes this winter has been extremely bad and the roads are horendus. However if you head north to go skiing snowmobiling etc.. they deal with the weather every year yet their roads do not have near the same amount of potholes.. I grew up in New England as well and most of the roads up there were designed to keep water running away from the roads so it does not get undernear and cause these frost heaves blowing up all these pot holes...

Just my 2 cents I could be wrong but I think NJ uses the cheapest bids to build these roads instead of the best quilfied.. Either that or the political friends get the contracts to build the roads...

I think some of these pothole issues are also that NJ does not know how to even build a proper road with appropriate foundation and drainage...

Please! How are the mobsters suposed to make any money if they do not need to rebuild our roads every other year?

I am surprised they are not making them out of paper mache...