SgtToadette

Where is constructive possession defined?

2C:39-1w(5) states that an assault firearm is "a part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person

• Like 1

2C:39-1w (5)

A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Damn , too slow again

Two issues for me in understanding that statute:

1. "may be readily assembled"

2. "if those parts are in the possession or under the control"

That's where my confusion lies. What does readily assembled mean and there's still a reference to possession within the statute. Me thinks I'll need to pull out my notes from my Criminal Law class.

I think the language is pretty clear. If you have position of it and it can be assembled...yer toast. I was even advised by Nappen that even having position of a part on a firearm it is perfectly legal on is an issue if you have a firearm that it would be illegal on.

Here is some reference that has some possession language explanation in it. But the bottom line is I think you can always count on a decision NOT coming down in your favor in this state

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/charges/weapons10.pdf

Two issues for me in understanding that statute:

1. "may be readily assembled"

2. "if those parts are in the possession or under the control"

That's where my confusion lies. What does readily assembled mean and there's still a reference to possession within the statute. Me thinks I'll need to pull out my notes from my Criminal Law class.

Look up constructive intent. It has been used federally for BS NFA charges, no reason it can't be used in NJ given the chapter and verse stated. Points 1 and 2 mean what they can convince a jury it means. If you ahve ever served on a jury in NJ, you know what kind of BS they tell the potential jurors with regards to the authority of the government and the court. Which is why I take jury duty seriously. 

On 2/26/2014 at 3:43 PM, Shane45 said:

I think the language is pretty clear. If you have position of it and it can be assembled...yer toast. I was even advised by Nappen that even having position of a part on a firearm it is perfectly legal on is an issue if you have a firearm that it would be illegal on.

Here is some reference that has some possession language explanation in it. But the bottom line is I think you can always count on a decision NOT coming down in your favor in this state

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/charges/weapons10.pdf

So does that mean that you cannot own a Non-NFA Other and a Rifle at the same time because swapping uppers on both would make both illegal?  

Here:

2C:39-1  Definitions.

2C:39-1.  Definitions. The following definitions apply to this chapter and to chapter 58:

w.   "Assault firearm" means:

(5)   A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.