Njbanshee

1911 shopping

I was out looking at guns and started looking at 1911's. I think I like the Springfield series. I started out liking the mil spec, and after some research I have been thinking about the range officer. It's going to be a range gun. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking to stay in the thousand dollar range.

I just recently added a 1984 Colt Government to my collection. Real old school and honest performer.  I'm debating if I should modify or leave her alone but I understand that this is a popular platform for upgrades.Not sure if you want something all blinged out but I've seen some good examples going for around $800.00

The RO has an LPA style cut which I think harrison designs might be the only option (not too sure). The one I'm eyeing is a set of fixed 3-dot nightsights.

I don't have a link to show you but I'm sure google will show a few options.

I recently purchased (but haven't picked up) a S&W E-Series.  Bang for the buck wise they have lots of features, and to me they are one of the sexiest looking 1911's in the price range.   Also has 3 dot night sites installed from the factory.  Paid $950

Link to S&W's site w/ specs :  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785501_-1_770151_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

vq93.jpg

I recently purchased (but haven't picked up) a S&W E-Series.  Bang for the buck wise they have lots of features, and to me they are one of the sexiest looking 1911's in the price range.   Also has 3 dot night sites installed from the factory.  Paid $950

Link to S&W's site w/ specs :  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785501_-1_770151_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

vq93.jpg

is that the melonite finish?

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-002-su-t2-rear-night-sight

This is the rear sight from harrison I would like to eventually get once my BCM build up is complete.

The front/rear combo is a bit pricey, but I love this design and fills up the gaps left behind from the LPA cut.

I really wish the RO had bomar style cuts, but if you're going for fixed sights to begin with, the Loaded model is also great for the money.

is that the melonite finish?

Not sure if it's melonite or not.  I just pulled the pic off of a google search.  I did check out the gun before I paid for it and the finish looked identical to the pic though.  Frame and slide are stainless but I will have to look up what finish is over it.  

the S&W aren't 1911s, they have external extractors. i personally think that ruins the gun. a lot of these new "custom" 1911s ruin the whole principle of what JMB did when he invented it. it is a SERVICE PISTOL. it is meant to have slop and play in the fit. nothing that will cause the gun to come apart but enough that a little dirt and grime will not cause a stoppage. super tight fit of all the custom guns is what caused the 1911s reputation to go down hill. leave it alone and take it for what it is.

this is humorous but in the end so true.  http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

I found a Springfield TRP on this site and paid $900 even for it with no taxes and no fees as it was a FTF in NJ.

The point is, if you are patient and vigilent and a little lucky they are out there!

the S&W aren't 1911s, they have external extractors. i personally think that ruins the gun. a lot of these new "custom" 1911s ruin the whole principle of what JMB did when he invented it. it is a SERVICE PISTOL. it is meant to have slop and play in the fit. nothing that will cause the gun to come apart but enough that a little dirt and grime will not cause a stoppage. super tight fit of all the custom guns is what caused the 1911s reputation to go down hill. leave it alone and take it for what it is.

this is humorous but in the end so true. http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Your just old school on guns brother! Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I'm with you on the ugly external extractors

Aside from having the external extractor I love my sig! Sig scorpion 1911 carry model. It has a different slide profile than the standard 1911 but I like it because it is different. Sig also has a traditional style with the internal extractor and their internals are good quality and not m.i.m. Parts like some of the kimbers are supposedly coming with these days.

I got mine for about 800 out the door and can't be happier. Purchased through hunting world guns and ammo right through this site. The only problem I had with mine is that the rear serrations are rough enough that I short stroked the slide with gloves on. I never shot with an ambi thumb safety and I was riding the thumb safety too much. And yes I'm a lefty so I got an ambi on purpose. Good luck on the search

+1 on a Sig.  I got the bottom of the barrel sig 1911 - the XO stainless 5" - as my first 1911.  I just didn't want to drop that much cash on my first 1911, so I did a lot of research and chose Sig.  Even their "worst" 1911 has a lot of good features for the money.  Like JP said, it doesn't have the MIM parts, and it's got nice front strap checkering amongst other features.  I paid just under 800 for it.  I will say that when I first bought it, I had some FTFs - enough that I wan't happy.  I sent it right back to Sig.   They fixed it up had it back to me in a few weeks free of charge.  The customer service was great and it's run flawlessly ever since - I absolutely love shooting it.  I added a couple of mods on mine like a FO front sight, over-sized mag release, and Hogue grips.  She ain't the prettiest gal at the dance, but boy can she move.

Sig.jpg

+1 on the RO. I was able to play with one up close and the workmanship is phenomenal for the price tag. Slide/frame fit was not sloppy, nor was it too tight. The barrel and bushing where fitted very well; no play when in battery. Extractor was radiused and tuned; not a common thing coming from a mfg. Trigger shoe showed signs of hand fitting. Comes standard with titanium firing pin. Machine work on the frame and slide were nice, straight and even. Quality work for the price tag.

My only gripes would be that the disconnector rail and breech face was a bit rough with tool marks. So a little polishing there smoothed out the cycling of the slide. Secondly, the trigger pull was horrible. Rough pull with a lot of creep and over travel. Trigger was breaking at 6.5#. Upon disassembly and inspecting the parts, majority being MIM, the sear only had the primary angle cut. No secondary angle. Like they intentionally left it that way for a smith to do a trigger job. I polished and finished where SA left off, and now breaks at a crisp 4-4.25#. Once the trigger settles down from breaking in, it should settle at slightly under 4#.

In comparison the the STI Spartan? Springfield all the way. I'm not a big S&W fan when it comes to their 1911s. The RO had the balance of classic 1911s with modern amenities people had to pay a smith to add on.

I was out again today looking. I'm more undecided than ever. The sales man started showing me kimbers. They are nice, but are they overpriced? If I get the ro and do a trigger job and swap out the sights is it still worth it? At that point I could get a higher end 1911.

Trigger job and other mods are not necessary day 1. Just go out and shoot it. The RO is a perfect platform to start with. I got to shoot the RO that Twong tuned. It runs great with no hiccups. Will it run just as well without the mods? Most likely but the tune up by Twong make it a bit better.

Regardless, the RO is great bang for the buck.

this is humorous but in the end so true.  http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

I'm not saying that Springfield makes poor quality guns, but I feel like the number of issues with Springfield 1911s outnumbers that of S&W 1911s.  OP wants to stay in the $1,000 range.  I think he can do better than a Springfield for that amount, especially if he's willing to go used.