Howard

RTSP to start indoor USPSA Matches soon!

Just got a welcomed e-mail which states:

We are proud to announce that RTSP is now a USPSA Member Club. As such we will be hosting indoor USPSA matches. 

Practical shooting is a sport that evolved from experimentation with handguns used for self-defense. The researchers were an international group of private individuals, law enforcement officers, and military people generally operating independently of each other, challenging the then-accepted standards of technique, training practices, and equipment. The work was, for the most part, conducted for their own purposes without official sanction. Even so, what they learned changed the face of police and military training forever.

Since 1984 USPSA competition has provided a test bed for equipment and techniques, many of which are now the standard for police and military training. Some of USPSA's top competitors are regularly employed as trainers for elite police and military units. Today, USPSA matches are conducted every week by the nearly 400 affiliated clubs all over the United States. For most people, practical shooting is pure sport conducted with little or no thought of the self-defense aspect of firearms use. However, USPSA members are generally the most proficient shooters in the world as witnessed by their domination in the world of firearms competition.

Stay tuned for more details, dates, and times! 

Sweet matches 10 min from home, at the range I'm a member of! Good news. How did you get on their Email list?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

You can view it on their web page and sign up there http://rtsponline.com/rtsp-monthly-newsletter/

Will this affect regular shooter's have less available range time? Or will this be outside of normal business operating times?

I don't think so, I think they are planning to start at 6pm on Sunday which is when they close to the public, so actually more opportunities.

I hear you, but they have a business to run and you can't expect them to shut down part or all of the range during normal business hours on the weekend.  Sunday night is a heck of a lot better than when they are right now - which is they are not :)

I hear you, but they have a business to run and you can't expect them to shut down part or all of the range during normal business hours on the weekend.  Sunday night is a heck of a lot better than when they are right now - which is they are not :)

I know. Just sucks for my work schedule. Any idea what time at night?

I don't want to pi$$ in everybody's cornflakes, but I'm not sure that USPSA and an indoor venue are a good match. USPSA is more a run & gun discipline with stages that often run more than 20 rounds and incorporate all kinds of gadgets. Long stages and restricted space add up to limited participants, which means higher match fees.

If I'm shooting USPSA I want to shoot a minimum of 5 stages and 100 rounds, on average - that's going to be hard to do given space and time constraints. Fees for outdoor USPSA matches, in this area, usually run $20.

I think IDPA better lends itself to an indoor venue with shorter stages, which means quicker throughput. Remember, it's not just shooting the stage, but also resetting it for the next competitor, so time is of the essence. I think IDPA also is less intimidating to a new shooter and requires less of an initial investment to participate. Indoor IDPA matches run about 60 - 70 rounds over 4 or 5 stages and, in this area, run $10. Not sure that is commercially viable.

This isn't about USPSA vs. IDPA, this is about optimum use of the available facilities in a way that benefits both the shooters and the facility. If you have Mickey Mouse USPSA stages at high cost, you will alienate the regular USPSA competitors. Likewise, if you attempt IDPA and in order to make it viable have to charge a high match fee, you will alienate the regular IDPA shooters.

It's a fine line that they'll have to walk to make this venture successful - and I'm not sure that they are starting off on the right foot.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My understanding is that both of the ranges would be utilized as this would take place after normal hours. But remember I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so what do I know :)

A little bird told me most likely Sunday early evenings.

Sunday would probably be the worst day to run a match, since most our outdoor clubs in the state run their matches on sundays, steel challenge, uspsa, idpa, etc.

Nobody interested in USPSA is going to go to a small, crowded, limited indoor USPSA match over a large outdoor match like at old bridge or central jersey. 

I'll add - of course there will be exceptions, in winter time it'll probably be popular, and with locals and people who are getting started in the sport.

Though, like bob said - Indoor USPSA matches can be very time consuming, lots of work, lots of waiting, for very little play. I rarely hit any of our indoor uspsa matches. 

I think this match will be for first time shooters that want to give it a try.  I think it will be difficult to draw a crowd of shooters on Sunday night. I know Shore Shot tried to move their Monday night match to Sunday and no one showed up.

I wish them luck.

Sunday evening three miles away works perfectly for me.  :)  While I understand what Alec is saying he also needs to look at a map, with the exception of Shongum (1st Saturday of the month)  there really is no other game in town in this Northern part of the state.  I believe Tenafly has some Sunday night matches, but that is all the way East.

George Jones ran indoor USPSA matches at Riverdale from September to April for many years before he got burned out.

He limited the match to 25 shooters and ran 3 stages and 1 classifier.

The match was on the 3rd Saturday, a day that did not conflict with other events at the time.

Stages can be as creative as the stage designers imagination.

Yes there will be limitations but with the right people, the stages can be as challenging indoors as outdoors.

Do not know who is involved but some (a lot) of help will be needed with input from USPSA and the Area8 Section Coordinator.

As with every match, I will try to attend. Time and life permitting of course.

Sunday evening three miles away works perfectly for me.  :)  While I understand what Alec is saying he also needs to look at a map, with the exception of Shongum (1st Saturday of the month)  there really is no other game in town in this Northern part of the state.  I believe Tenafly has some Sunday night matches, but that is all the way East.

I live in Bergen County and all the matches are somewhere between 1 and 2 hours and change each way. I went to the majority of the matches in the tri-state area when I was able to. I never really cared about where the range was on a map, just more of what time do I need to leave by. Most of the shooters in this area (IMHO) will travel to a match if available.

George Jones ran indoor USPSA matches at Riverdale from September to April for many years before he got burned out.

He limited the match to 25 shooters and ran 3 stages and 1 classifier.

The match was on the 3rd Saturday, a day that did not conflict with other events at the time.

Stages can be as creative as the stage designers imagination.

Yes there will be limitations but with the right people, the stages can be as challenging indoors as outdoors.

Do not know who is involved but some (a lot) of help will be needed with input from USPSA and the Area8 Section Coordinator.

As with every match, I will try to attend. Time and life permitting of course.

With a limit of 20-25 shooters , I can see that working.

But when 30-40 people show up, it can really become a longggg night. 

I guess there are a couple of types of Action Shooters..... and no disrespect to either.....

I am just not into it enough to give up a good portion of a Sat or Sun, to drive a distance ( hour or more) , and then participate in the event until 3pm, then drive an hour or more home.....

kills the whole day....  

But to drive 15min, and have some fun for couple of hours in a laid back setting......... on a Sunday evening....   That;s right in my wheelhouse....

Hope this works... 

With a limit of 20-25 shooters , I can see that working.

But when 30-40 people show up, it can really become a longggg night. 

He sent out emails and the when the match was full, it was full. Set up started around 10am, 1st shots by 1130am. 2 stages in range, once stages were done, they were rearranged and the other 2 stages were set. Match was torn down and put away by 4pm.

Also there was no pizza break so everyone got out early.

I guess there are a couple of types of Action Shooters..... and no disrespect to either.....

I am just not into it enough to give up a good portion of a Sat or Sun, to drive a distance ( hour or more) , and then participate in the event until 3pm, then drive an hour or more home.....

kills the whole day....  

But to drive 15min, and have some fun for couple of hours in a laid back setting......... on a Sunday evening....   That;s right in my wheelhouse....

Hope this works... 

Yeah it kills the whole day, but IMO I am doing something I like and the majority of the time with shooters whose company I enjoy so it is a win win situation.

These days I have little time to load ammo, practice, dry fire, let alone shoot a match all day. And come June I'll have even less time. So I'll shoot whatever I can.