BlueLineFish

Need Dog Advice

Unfortunately i had to put my 5yo mix breed down the other day. Damn that was tough. Didnt realize how hard that would be. Going to start looking for a new dog soon but am looking for advice. I will only adopt, prefer as young as possible so i can train. I have 3 kids under 3 so they must be good with kids. Prefer big dogs. Looking at boxers and rottweilers. Pit Bulls are ok too. My last dog was mostly pit. Any other suggestions as well as locations in NJ for good adoptions

You had an adult dog and now are looking for what essentially will be a puppy.  I know its hard but try to remember what a puppy does.  We had an adult dog die, kindest gentlest dog around, wonderful with my daughter for years.  We got another puppy of the same breed and he is giving my daughter (12) a hard time trying to figure out where he is in the pack structure.  I only mention this because you mention the small children.  You will need to be VERY careful with the dog around the kids (no not a shot at pitbulls, just puppies in general).  With the young kids I would try to find one with a passive attitude.

As a recommendation of a place to look for an adoption.  Saint Huberts Shelter in Madison

Very sorry to hear that! the dog I have now just showed up at my house after someone dropped two off on my street. I looked for days for the other one but couldn't find it. She is a red nosed pit and is the best dog I have ever had. The link below is for a NJ pit rescue. I always had the pitbull stereotype until I met this dog, she is the nicest dog I have ever had. She is scary to people that don't know her but not a nasty bone in her body. Good Luck

http://pitbull.rescueme.org/NewJersey

Sorry for your loss. That is the one of life's tough moments. I would also suggest looking for a rescue with some age, 1-2. Puppies are tough and eat up a lot of time along with most of the house. We all forget how much trouble they got into once they are grown through the puppy phase.

That said, find one that steals your heart and go with it. It'll never replace the one you lost but it will help immensely with the healing process.

Unfortunately i had to put my 5yo mix breed down the other day. Damn that was tough. Didnt realize how hard that would be. Going to start looking for a new dog soon but am looking for advice. I will only adopt, prefer as young as possible so i can train. I have 3 kids under 3 so they must be good with kids. Prefer big dogs. Looking at boxers and rottweilers. Pit Bulls are ok too. My last dog was mostly pit. Any other suggestions as well as locations in NJ for good adoptions

So very sorry for your loss, man.   I'm a "Doberman/Black Lab" kinda guy.  My family always had dobies.  They were never a problem. It is my understanding that the red dobie my grandparents had looked after me as an infant when they let me stay outside, and never let anyone get near the crib, etc..

Wow that is tough, I feel for you.  I am slightly biased, but Huskies are great.  They love kids and are very friendly.  On the down side they are head strong and like to dig.  There is a great Husky Rescue operation in NJ that has them for adoption.

I know 1st hand how tough it is emotionally to have to put down a dog and I can most definitely sympathize with you.  I've always liked German Shepherds and Siberian Huskies.  Huskies are very good with kids but generally terrible watch dogs.  The GS is a great watch dog and much more protective of "his family" as well as much more obedient and easier to train.  Huskies pretty much have a mind of their own. I have one of each and really like them both for their difference in traits.  Since you are getting a pup, there shouldn't be an issue with kids since the dog will be growing up with them.   If you want some sort of home protection, the Husky would not be my first choice.  The German Shepherd, on the other hand will serve you well.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on a place for adoptions, I usually purchase from breeders.

Wow that is tough, I feel for you. I am slightly biased, but Huskies are great. They love kids and are very friendly. On the down side they are head strong and like to dig. There is a great Husky Rescue operation in NJ that has them for adoption.

Don't forget the massive amount of shedding and they really don't do well in the heat of summer. I love the breed though.

I don't know about this crap about Huskies not being great watch dogs, they will watch anyone come in the house, and will likely leave with that person if given the chance.  While they generally don't attack they keep people away just by shear intimidation - people freeze when they see them, not realizing if they approach they will likely get licked to death.  Shedding is not an issue, they only shed twice - once in the day and once at night!  It was a problem when we had dark blue carpet, with off-white carpet we hardly notice it.  I don't understand it, but they only shed the white hair not the black hair.  As for the heat of the summer it is not an issue.  Their coat is like a thermos, it insulates against both heat and cold.  Mine love to lay out with it is below zero on the ice, they also like to layout on the hot blacktop driveway and sun themselves when it is 95 degrees.  If they get really hot they love to do laps in the pool as well.

2561872546_4f4c186d2a_z_d.jpg

Sorry to hear about your pooch. Especially only 5 y.o.... I'd be totally devastated. I could not be without my little buddy. I'd be destroyed. I hear Goldens are great with kids. Also, German Shepards are too as I use to have one.

Funny talking about losing a dog, someone laid a big guilt trip online the other day. Kills me and now everytime I walk out the door, I have a tear in my eye thinking about this photo.

post-5135-139369766078_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I just went through this last year, I found a rescue that had an expecting pitbull. my son got his  pick out of 12 puppy's. We have rescued 3 other adult dogs over the years but with a 5 yr old child now we did not want problems , after 9mo our puppy is finally starting to mellow a little. I forgot what it was like raising a pup. good luck.  

FOWA in wayne,and Mt Pleasant animal shelter in East Hannover are both great places and they have a very good animal behaviorist to make sure the dog does not have any behavioral problems before they adopt out. without sounding to unprofessional be careful with St Huberts in Madison or north branch you might get a good dog from them but you might not.

FOWA in wayne,and Mt Pleasant animal shelter in East Hannover are both great places and they have a very good animal behaviorist to make sure the dog does not have any behavioral problems before they adopt out. without sounding to unprofessional be careful with St Huberts in Madison or north branch you might get a good dog from them but you might not.

I will check both places out

Blue line

So sorry for your loss. Any of us that have been through it know what you are going through.

Rescue Ridge is a great, all volunteer rescue my wife has been involved with for years. They are very active with pits

They are based in Monmouth county and their website is www.rescueridge.com

Best of luck in finding your new best friend

damn thats a sad pic

Yep, it explains to me, 'separation anxiety'....... Now I get it more than ever before.

Don't forget. DOG spelt backwards is GOD!

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I don't know about this crap about Huskies not being great watch dogs, they will watch anyone come in the house, and will likely leave with that person if given the chance.  While they generally don't attack they keep people away just by shear intimidation - people freeze when they see them, not realizing if they approach they will likely get licked to death.  Shedding is not an issue, they only shed twice - once in the day and once at night!  It was a problem when we had dark blue carpet, with off-white carpet we hardly notice it.  I don't understand it, but they only shed the white hair not the black hair.  As for the heat of the summer it is not an issue.  Their coat is like a thermos, it insulates against both heat and cold.  Mine love to lay out with it is below zero on the ice, they also like to layout on the hot blacktop driveway and sun themselves when it is 95 degrees.  If they get really hot they love to do laps in the pool as well.

2561872546_4f4c186d2a_z_d.jpg

All of this is spot on and true.  Both of mine love the summer sun and will lay out on the patio until I bring them back inside.  There are a few good Husky rescues in the area, although I wouldn't necessarily say they're highly "trainable."  Very, very smart though.  

Sorry for your loss, BlueLineFish.

Njboxerrescue.com They do good work. I was a volunteer for them for a while. There is no better dog with kids than a boxer. Here's mine. 2011-10-13_18-04-21_591.jpg

I'm on my second boxer. I love them. You are correct they love kids. They will bark at an intruder to alert that they are there but won't be vicious. However if someone attacks your family the dog will go after them. I'll never own a different breed.

I've got about 15+ dogs worth of experience since i was a kid, all strays or rescues. And they were all basically adults when we got them. I now have two rescue pups at 8 months, had them since 6 weeks. As puppys they require a lot of attention as far as basic training and family acclimation and can be very energenic. Sounds like a very busy schedule for a young family. Perhaps a dog about 1-2 yrs and has settled down a bit and is more or less house trained is an option. And of course am sorry for your loss, i sure know how it feels, some more than others.

There is a 2yr old golden available here at Berkeley animal shelter. My dog got out last night and we were trying to find him and I came across the other golden. He is 2 yrs old and a very nice looking dog. If I wasn't moving now I would take him. Give them a call if you are interested

I'm on my second boxer. I love them. You are correct they love kids. They will bark at an intruder to alert that they are there but won't be vicious. However if someone attacks your family the dog will go after them. I'll never own a different breed.

Mine hardly EVER barks unless I'm playing rough with her or there's something she doesn't like. Like deer, she HATES deer.

Sorry to hear that. When I lost my last dog, within days I was already going from shelter to shelter. I got my current pit/boxer/something/velociraptor mix from a shelter within 3 days of looking and he is a great dog.

There are a TON of great dogs in shelters and they get put down because no one wants them. You are already open to the bully breeds so you should have no issue finding the dog you want. Bring your kids if you can. Ask to play with the dog outside if you can.

BLF- I deal with a decent amount of rescues/shelters/ individuals who save dogs/cats all ages. I have some business cards of some places at work that I can get you tomorrow, one is a boxer rescue I know. I know I have seen a decent amount of puppies at camden/gloucester county shelters. Never go off their website they don't update them often.

I will also call some people I know who do a lot of rescuing. I saved a pitbull puppy not to long ago and fostered it for a couple days till Rutgers95 (from here lol) wanted the pup.

Edit: Fassa friends boxer rescue. That's the one boxer rescue.

Sorry for your loss. 

Be careful. Get the new dog as young as you can.

I "rescued" a dog and for 16 years was sorry I did. I tried to train her, never hit or hurt her, but she didn't take to training because her previous owner was an a=hole. Don't want to go into details. Very sad, turned us off to owning dogs even though we both love them.

Don't assume other peoples' problems. Put up a sign in your local supermarket, wait. Don't rush it. You'll find a wonderful companion animal. It's a miracle how dogs and humans bond, if it's done right.