Sign in to follow this  
bjones1500

Moving to Connecticut. ...

So I was offered a new job in Connecticut. (I know I know) but as a young man I can't turn down this opportunity, I'll be working in Bridgeport and New Haven, just looking to see if anyone has some helpful advice, gun related and non gun related. I don't really know much about Connecticut in general and I'm just looking for some guidance.

Thanks

It better be a very good job opportunity. As-stated, very expensive state to live in, I did it for six months way up north by the Bradley International Airport. Nice area up there and I could drive 10 min to MA and save a LOT on gas, plus they pumped it for me! :)

That southern area, it kinda sucks............. Good luck. And forget about guns, they will grab them from you before NJ does.

I wish you the best of luck.  I travel to MA for work too often and sometimes get stuck in CT.  Ppl say NJ has the worst traffic but I say CT is #2 behind DC.  Stack that on top of generally shitty ppl (lots of douchey NYC commuters) and their anti attitude which rivals or now surpasses NJ and I wish to avoid CT like the plague.

FWIW I got a job offer there 2 yrs ago and even though it was good money turned it down (also relatively young at 28).  

New Jersey based company with locations in CT. Doubling my current salary, union,pension,401k,full medical etc...., and I'm 22. Hoping to only be there a year or 2 and then transfer to a New Jersey location.

There is a company, whose name I forget at the moment, that has a firearm lockup/storage service in NJ. If you possess anything you can't bring with you, it might be worth looking into for short term storage if you plan on returning to NJ. It's more secure than putting it in a storage locker.

I went to New Haven in 1998 to look at colleges. If it's still the same get that CCW, and look for a place elsewhere to live. I don't know if he's still active on the board, but JoeJaxx left NJ to CT maybe 2 years ago. He might have some insight. Good luck.

OP, I have relatives in CT. If you thought your typical NJ resident is a freaking weenie, wait until you get to Connecticut.

Naturally, you should obey all the political pronunciamentos masquerading as useful laws. That being said, some nefarious individuals who have actually read and understand the Constitution might advise you to take all your guns with you and just keep your own counsel.

So I was offered a new job in Connecticut. (I know I know) but as a young man I can't turn down this opportunity, I'll be working in Bridgeport and New Haven, just looking to see if anyone has some helpful advice, gun related and non gun related. I don't really know much about Connecticut in general and I'm just looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Good luck.  

My advice is to not get married there and don't buy a house.  If you're still there by 28, you'll probably stay there until you're 50 and are _REALLY_ fed up.   The problem is you'll meet someone you like who is great and has family there and now you've got yourself an anchor that will lock you into that cesspit for the best years of your life.  Not saying your relationship and family won't be great, they probably will be and it's all the more reason why you'll end up stuck there.  

I worked in Bridgeport and and had my carry permit

All I can say is, be fully prepared to draw your weapon in Bridgeport. You will have multiple real life opportunities. I am not kidding whatsoever

I saw young people die in those streets. The gangs are out of control.

If you are going to walk around parts of Bridgeport without a gun, you are fully asking to die. Again, I say that with no concept of exaggeration or hyperbole whatsoever. You will have experiences that shape your idea of paranoia and vigilance in being aware of your surroundings 24/7

The police there are all former marines, and even they don't bother with certain neighborhoods. St Vincent's has a well known gunshot trauma center, that should tell you something, and the neighborhood around it on park avenue will tell you why that's the case

I had too many brushes with disaster and put in for a transfer back to NJ. When they didn't honor it, I decided the job wasn't worth dying for and found something else to do back home and quit. I had more trouble in Bridgeport than I ever had in my whole life in Newark or Paterson, and I am a person who has seen first hand the blessing that carry rights are because of my time in Bridgeport. get your permit immediately, it takes about 60 days there. Use it, or be at some thug's mercy.

In essence, Bridgeport Connecticut is what made me care about the second amendment. It taught me more about protecting myself, but more so about avoiding a problem before it started. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had a gun on those streets, whether legally or not. Every store you walk into, the cashier has a gun under the counter. You will see people draw weapons on each other over meaningless verbal disputes. You will hear about a murder within days of moving there

Please be prepared for that city. I mean it, as someone who lived it for a year, inside and out. Best of luck

Wow.....

First, congrats on the new job.

Second, my wife of almost 28 years is from CT, we go up there several times a year, and have never had any of the problems described above. Think of it like someone describing Newark, Patterson, or Camden and thinking they are NJ!

She grew up in Meriden...on an acre carved-out of her grandfathers dairy farm, living on a road named after her family.

Yes, the city's suck. Same here. Get out of the city and its a beautiful state. Yes it's expensive...so is NJ. They just get you in different ways. You'll notice the cars on the road appear older...well, they are. That's because CT has a personal property tax on your vehicle.

You might have to commute a little bit, but there are some beautiful areas to live.

You will also find that they have more in common with the New England Yankee traditions than you see here....mind your business, suck it up, stiff upper lip, make it do, etc, than you find in NJ. The mass civil disobedience they are seeing right now with their knee-jerk reaction to Sandy Hook is a perfect example, and of no surprise to me....they're NOT going to put up with it, and we will see significant change in November.

And yes, CCW is available, unlike here...

My advice on the CT pistol permit - if you can get it as a NJ resident, it's better than getting it as a CT resident. Just change your address when you move. 

CT is may issue and some of the towns like to stall and roadblock you. However out of state residents apply directly to DESPP SLFU and they get their permit within a few months. 

You need NRA basic (not FIRST steps) and any carry permit from any other state.  It's also a bit more expensive than most. 

I agree about Bridgeport. I've never had to draw it but the place is bad. Maybe not bad like downtown paterson after dark but bad. 

Thanks

As you say, you're young. You'll have time to recover. I lived in New Haven for a year. Got robbed twice. Eh.

Not sure that CT is much worse than here though. 

New Jersey based company with locations in CT. Doubling my current salary, union,pension,401k,full medical etc...., and I'm 22. Hoping to only be there a year or 2 and then transfer to a New Jersey location.

Personally, Career/job first.  The guns can wait.

Get the work experience first and then move out of CT and NJ.

I grew up in outside Hartford and most of my family is still in that area. There are some good towns around both New Haven and Bridgeport, you just have to be selective.

As far as traffic in CT, keep in mind there are not as many major roads to work with in CT compared to most of NJ. I would suggest finding somewhere that does not require you to use the Meritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways or 95. On any given day those roads can easily look like the Garden State Parkway southbound on a summer Friday.