Spartan45

Wooden vertical AK foregrips legal in NJ?

Hello all, I am quite new to shooting sports and find myself unfortunately living in this strange and oppressive place known as NJ. I purchased a century arms WASR10 a few months ago and have wanted to replace the wood furniture quite badly as the stock furniture looks absolutely horrible. I looked into timber smith and could not find a shop with their sets in stock. I was able to purchase this however:

http://aa-ok.com/ak-stock-set-american-walnut-usa.html

The stock arrived yesterday, however when I brought it to a local gun store I was told it could not be installed on my rifle due to it counting as a third "evil feature" which would therefore make the rifle illegal. Doing some more searching on the Internet as well as looking up NJ gun laws the consensus seems to be that fixed and removable foregrips are legal in NJ and do not count as an evil feature.

I am incredibly confused as to weather I am able to install these pieces or if I just shorted myself out of 100$

I will be inquiring at two different shops to see what my options are, but any help here would be much appreciated.

I am not familiar with AKs, but I assume that it isn't too difficult to do it yourself.

Completely legal, the store was just wrong. That is, IF you do NOT have a thumbhole stock and one evil feature. You can have ONE evil feature, such as a bayonet lug, flash hider, pistolgrip, and (I think) grenade launcher. Vertical grips are nothing. Also, your WASR10 is a foreign rifle correct? So long as you stay complacent with 922r, you should be okay.

If your furniture is American made, you need to make sure you have a certain amount of American parts on there. 

The store that told me quite aggressively that the wooden foregrip was a no-go was Ottomanelli's down in Woodland park NJ.

Honestly I do like looking around in there from time to time however the salesmen just seem to be uptight and not really willing to deal with a noob to the hobby so I have been a bit put off.

My Wasr was purchased up in Andover from YOJ Sports, it has the standard setup, the magazine it came with is pinned to 15 rounds. So everything is ok with it currently. I just want to switch the wood furniture up on it which has been nothing but an ordeal so far.

The store that told me quite aggressively that the wooden foregrip was a no-go was Ottomanelli's down in Woodland park NJ.

Honestly I do like looking around in there from time to time however the salesmen just seem to be uptight and not really willing to deal with a noob to the hobby so I have been a bit put off.

My Wasr was purchased up in Andover from YOJ Sports, it has the standard setup, the magazine it came with is pinned to 15 rounds. So everything is ok with it currently. I just want to switch the wood furniture up on it which has been nothing but an ordeal so far.

if the sales person is a ass in that shop then find a shop that is friendly. Or find a sales person in that shop that is friendly and just ask for them . and let them know ther coworker is a D##K.  When i was new to the hobby  I put a couple sales people in there place , and sometimes thats what they need 

In brief - A Semi- Auto Rifle that takes a detachable mag (That is your AK) 

cannot have two of the evil features.

Pistol grip is one (1)

So now if you have no other "Evil Feature" Threaded barrel, adjustable stock, ect.

you fine.

Possibly the knucklehead at the counter got confused between Nj compliance and 922r compliance.

If you have a rifle tha tis 922r compliant - it will most likely have a US made plastic grip as one of the

six (6) US made parts to make it 992r compliant.

If you were to remove the US made grip, and install an original grip, it would no longer be 922r compliant

but the TimberSmith's are US made as well so there would be no issue swapping over your furniture.

Hope this makes it just a bit more clear.........................

Good luck!

JT

Thank you all very much for your quick and informative feedback. I decided to install the foregrip piece this morning and decided to try and refinish the original butt-stock that came with my wasr since it is in much nicer condition than the stock I received with the kit (the one that came with the kit is chipped on one side)

So my day off from work will be spent sanding and applying stain to the stock.

I also Kept the original black plastic grip on, the kit came ith a reddish/brown grip but as of now I'm not sure which I like better.

DSCN0146.jpg

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/darkwolf45/media/DSCN0146.jpg.html?filters[user]=14523178&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

The photo uploader doesnt seem to want to accept my images, they are too big. I uploaded a pic of the finished product to photobucket, maybe that will work. Let me know if it doesn't I will try something else.

Wow, that's a pretty good one so far. 

I would never shop at this place that told you a donkey dong AK grip is illegal in NJ. Stay far, far, farrrrrr away from that store.

It came out looking good though. I love those lower hand guards, I find them very comfortable unlike most.