liquidskin

Septic system inspector?

I used these guys when I bought my house as a subcontractor to my home inspection.

Septek LLC

31 Grandview Ave

Stockholm NJ 07460

(973) 208-5694

I was happy with what they did. They ethically don't repair septic that they inspect which I thought was decent of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used these guys when I bought my house as a subcontractor to my home inspection.

Septek LLC

31 Grandview Ave

Stockholm NJ 07460

(973) 208-5694

I was happy with what they did. They ethically don't repair septic that they inspect which I thought was decent of them.

Cool, thanks. I might be outside of their coverage area, but I can try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Septek LLC

31 Grandview Ave

Stockholm NJ 07460

(973) 208-5694

Home inspectors don't check septic I guess? I'm looking at homes that have septic near their business, so it's good to know they're there.

I don't mean to jack the thread, but should I bother having septic inspected on a house that was built in 2009?

FWIW, it cost me like $300 to have my septic system inspected and it was the best money I ever spent. Turns out my house had a cesspool (built in 1954) and would have been illegal to transfer ownership. Had a whole new septic system installed on the sellers dime ($15,000). A septic inspection is not required and a regular home inspector can't check it.

Home inspectors don't check septic I guess? I'm looking at homes that have septic near their business, so it's good to know they're there.

I don't mean to jack the thread, but should I bother having septic inspected on a house that was built in 2009?

i would still get the inspection, the cost of a new system or repairs is pretty large. Spend a few hundred and just get it checked out. It will likely be fine in a newer house but i would still get it checked. the old houses are the ones that can be wrecked. Ive seen the old clay pipes i believe they are collapse.

I'd get it checked. Your spending a lot of money and $300 isn't much to be sure.

My cousin had the same thing done before they bought a house except they had a defective septic from the 90's. $15k for a new one on the sellers dime.

CSI in Midland Park, NJ has a great reputation in northern NJ. He just failed my septic so I have to replace it if I want to sell my house to perspective buyers. Thing is that his reputation carries so much weight in the area that no other licensed septic inspector in my area would challenge his opinion to make a long story short. Kind of f'ed up but I have to live with it.

I didn't get an inspection when I bought my house, since the septic system had been put in less than a year before.  Big mistake.  The guy who put it in replaced three old cesspools with a modern septic system…but he failed to connect one of the bathrooms to the new system.  That bathroom remained piped into the old cesspool, which was filled in.  We moved in, and promptly had a sewage flood in the basement.   

The house had been vacant for months, since the time the new system was installed.    The home inspector missed it, because with the pipe empty you could run water and flush the toilet a couple of times without causing a backup.   We were out-of-pocket for some basement damage, for a bunch of diagnostic work to determine that the drain pipe for that bathroom did, in fact, end in dirt where the cesspool used to be, and for having the yard dug up to have that bathroom piped into the new septic system.

The contractor who screwed up--Febbi and Son, in Boonton, NJ--offered perhaps the lamest excuse in the history of contracting:  "No one told us to hook up all of the bathrooms".   He refused to correct the problem or pay for the repairs.  Since we didn't contract with him in the first place, we didn't have standing to file a legal claim, and Febbi dragged out the process until the owner who did contract with him had passed away.

So, I most emphatically do NOT recommend Febbi and Son (aka Ron Febbi, aka Febbi Renato) for septic installation, repair, or inspection.

definitely get the septic inspected.

You'll now know where everything is located. (Building your shed on top of the leech field would be bad)

Stuff does break and if you don't correct it early, it just gets worse.

As a plus, you have to pump to fully inspect in some cases. Pump the septic now and you have less to worry about for the next 3-6 years.

It's cheap insurance. Don't skip. It could easily be a $25k bill to replace it.