Nick T

Any techies to answer a question about wireless routers

Having a problem with my home network. I think the router might be just showing some age (3 years old) and these things almost are made to throw away standards these days. Anyways, my problem is my connection constantly kicks in and out without warning, router and modem have been reset multiple times. This fixes the issue for a coue of hours but then goes right back to dropping signal. Any advice to fix it or should I just go buy a new router.

I would check for firmware updates 1st.  I also had an issue one time where I had different signals being boradcasted and for some reason it was causing issues so i had to disable the N band.  And yeah I have heard of channel issues, but im not real up on setting them manually...

You can always go to the manufacturer's support page for your router and update the devices firmware. That may solve your problem. If it is a B/G/N router, try setting it to G only and see if that helps. Also, completely resetting it (usually a red button on there that must be held for 10 seconds) may help. Don't forget to unplug it for a few seconds after the reset to reboot it.

If none of the above works, it is time for a new router.

I had a similar problem and it ended up being one of the wires fell off the wireless network card on the laptop. It had 2 terminals and each wire slipped on like a car battery but without a nut of course. This laptop was a couple years old and I haven't had the need to check any of my newer ones to see if they are accessible now a days.

Do you have another device/computer you can connect to it and see if it does the same thing to narrow it down?

Do you have another device/computer you can connect to it and see if it does the same thing to narrow it down?

If you don't have another computer available for testing, there are free apps for smart phones that can do the same thing.  I'd been blaming my aging Mac for losing the signal frequently, but after downloading OpenSignal for IOS, I learned that it's my wireless router that is flakey.  That's a much cheaper fix.

Had a similar problem that turned out to be a conflict between my fios actiontech router and a piece of netgear equipment that I was using for additional access points.  Once I eliminated the netgear piece everything worked perfectly and I haven't had a problem since.

Little pissed that verizon couldn't figure it out.  Finally I got the right tech after 5 or 6 of them.  I can't tell you how many routers they replaced and one guy even wanted to rewire my house.  

Good points from people here in addition to what was originally said.  I actually had a conflict one time with my directv movie streeming thing, had i not known a little about networking I would have prob went out and bought a new router myself...