Sign in to follow this  
seabasstard

Bow - Hunter Education Course

I know I read some threads on this, but I couldn't find them again. Regarding the Hunter Ed Program... I did Shotgun last August and I'm doing Bow this April. Do I get to skip the main written exam and just do the Archery portion or do I have to take the whole written exam over? It's less than a year and my Voucher from the Online Hunter Ed Course hasn't expired yet, if that makes a difference. Just trying to see what to expect. Thanks in advance.

last year i took bow and shotgun on the same day then i took rifle a month later, they made me take the main section of the exam again. at first i completed the rifle questions and handed it in then they told me that i had to take it again, i explained to them that i already did it but they made me do it again. not a big deal its easy just annoying. 

I haven't been hunting in nj and actually haven't even looked in the laws here, since I really have nowhere to go hunting here, but.....

I held a NYS license for years, and did all of my education , general hunting and bow hunting through the NYS DEC....

But if I wanted to get a NJ license would I have to take the NJ classes? Is there reciprocity for this? Anyone know? What would I have to do?

I haven't been hunting in nj and actually haven't even looked in the laws here, since I really have nowhere to go hunting here, but.....

I held a NYS license for years, and did all of my education , general hunting and bow hunting through the NYS DEC....

But if I wanted to get a NJ license would I have to take the NJ classes? Is there reciprocity for this? Anyone know? What would I have to do?

Best idea is to give them a call, i know they give out non-resident permits/licenses to people with out-of-state licenses. So it sounds like they accept licenses from other states.

If you can produce your old NY licenses, you should be okay. You just won't be able to do it online. Go to a "legitimate" hunting and fishing outdoor store (Dick's may not be the best in this case) and you should be golden.

Here is the response I got

as long as it is a resident license from another state, that should be fine (will check with Law). the individual in question, if they do not have their original hunter ed cards can usually contact the state from which they completed the course to get a copy of them--

Here is the response I got

as long as it is a resident license from another state, that should be fine (will check with Law). the individual in question, if they do not have their original hunter ed cards can usually contact the state from which they completed the course to get a copy of them--

I definitely still have the original education cards and a copy of my last NY resident liscense.