iRescue

Raccoon nuisance.

Hello everyone.

I have a bit of a raccoon problem.

This guy, and a few of his pals, keep frequenting the area around my house. They climb up in the trees and mess around with the garbage cans.

Town won't do anything unless he attacks one of my dogs or something. I don't want it to get to that point.

I know firearms are probably out of the question.

How about paintball gun? Bow?

What canny use to shoo this guy away?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 90s, I had a friend with an AR and one of the original Ceiner kits, and a laser, that put two right through the front of the head over the eyes. Nice group. And then he made a hat out of it. I don't think the two holes in the front of the hat are unfortunate, I think it's cool to this day.

Also note that they don't only go after garbage cans.  We had a duo of them on our second story deck last summer and they were there to get to the bird/squirrel feeders.  First time I have ever seen them in my yard in 10 years..  When I let the dog out, those f*ckers took off across our yard, scampered up the fence (6' privacy fence, mind you) and jumped off into the brush on the other side to get away.  And let me tell you, they do not land gracefully when jumping from 6'..  sounded like a bowling ball landed on the other side of the fence..  heh..   they havent been back since then..  an 80 lb. dog chasing them across the yard probably gave them the scare they needed to vamoose. 

IMG_0741_zpsae224e7b.jpg

There are only two types of raccoon in NJ, those with rabies and those about to get rabies. Don't mess with them. Nasty things happen.  Trust me, you do not want to have to get the shots.  And if your pet is exposed vaccinated or not, you will be treated.

There are only two types of raccoon in NJ, those with rabies and those about to get rabies. Don't mess with them. Nasty things happen.  Trust me, you do not want to have to get the shots.  And if your pet is exposed vaccinated or not, you will be treated.

i agree with the second part..  but not the first part..  there are plenty of raccoons who never get rabies..  that said, i wouldnt want me or my dog to get attacked by one.  when i let my dog out, i had a hold of her so she didnt chase..  but they still took off like a bat outta hell....  they havent been back since (that was last year)

Actually the shots aren't that bad, I had to get them years ago when I got bitten by a stray cat.  They were fairly expensive if I remember correctly, a few thousand dollars, but most was covered by my insurance.

Explain to me why then 77% of all diagnosed cases of rabies in the state of NJ are raccoon.

Skunks 14%

Cats 4%

Fox 2%

Groundhog 2%

All others 1%

This per the NJ DOH. 

That doesn't address what percentage of raccoons have rabies.  I've no idea what the percentage is (it can't be too high, or we wouldn't have an abundance of raccoons).   It only means that those raccoons that are rabid are more effective than other species at passing on the virus.

I'm surprised skunks are that high on the list--most folks go to great lengths to keep them out of biting range (while too many folks think raccoons are cute and cuddly and will try to get close to them).

Bats must be included in the 1%.  That's lower than I would have guessed.

Well, you are skipping over the part the their droppings can kill or horribly disable your kids (or yourself).

That doesn't mean all raccoons need to be exterminated. We all grew up with them and most of us are fine. It means that beyond being the greatest menace of the mustilids, they are a pest and should be encouraged to leave the areas surrounding your home.

Just remember the 3 "S"'s.

Shoot

Shovel

Shut up

That doesn't address what percentage of raccoons have rabies.  I've no idea what the percentage is (it can't be too high, or we wouldn't have an abundance of raccoons).   It only means that those raccoons that are rabid are more effective than other species at passing on the virus.

I'm surprised skunks are that high on the list--most folks go to great lengths to keep them out of biting range (while too many folks think raccoons are cute and cuddly and will try to get close to them).

If you see a raccoon out during the day...its almost certainly rabid.  

I had a bad raccoon problem when I moved into this house. Shortly after I got my Gamo the problem seemed to disappear. 6 in one night vanished. Total reported missing was around 14 in about a two month period. Weird how they left their tails hanging on my shed.  Now and then it is a random bastard that has been met with brooms, shovels, etc. Too infrequent to set up get the Gamo out again.

W2MC- that is completely false information. It is very comin to see raccoons out during the day. Especially this time of year when the females are haveing their litters and protect them at night and serch for food during the day. And after a tough winter for them because the snow covered everything for such a Long time

Explain to me why then 77% of all diagnosed cases of rabies in the state of NJ are raccoon.

Skunks 14%

Cats 4%

Fox 2%

Groundhog 2%

All others 1%

This per the NJ DOH. 

This statistic is related to animals that tested positive - not humans who tested positive after interaction with listed animal.

My explanation would be that by nature raccoon are much more curious and bold, sometimes confrontational. They venture places most of those other animals will not and are generally not afraid to get up close to other animals and people if they think they can do it undetected. They are also quite nasty when confronted. A skunk may spray and run - a raccoon will bite and scratch. 

Exactly, we have no idea the % of raccoon infected given the stats above. However, although raccoon account for most of the rabies cases their strain has only been linked to 1 death in U.S. according to humane society.